New acquisition, Springfield conversion

captaindrew

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Picked this up at our local gun show this morning, couldn't leave without it for the price. A Springfield conversion dated 1826 on the lock.
20190317_133217.jpg
20190317_133239.jpg

A nice honest musket! You are correct about the ram rod being an 1842 type. They were not changed at the time of alteration. This rod could have been added to this musket at any time in the past 160 years.
J.
Thanks Jobe, the ramrod has the exact same patina as the rest of the gun so I'm guessing they've been together for a long time.

Is it possible that this is a conversion of a Model 1816 Springfield musket?
This is not a subject that I am knowledgeable about but I do have a Springfield Model 1816 musket still in flintlock---with an 1827 lock plate date and OHIO stock markings.
Here are some photos.

View attachment 297508

View attachment 297509

View attachment 297510

View attachment 297511

That is a beauty. I honestly don't know for sure, the photos of the 16, 18, and 22 all look the same to me. Yours has all the same markings as mine. I didn't do any homework before I bought it, it was spur of the moment I wasn't going to leave it there kind of thing. I have a question for you or maybe @Jobe Holiday, did the 16, 18, and 22 use the same bayonet? I'd like to pick up a bayonet for it and see several model 16 bayonets available but no 18 or 22s. The one issue mine has is for whatever reason sometime in it's life the end of the barrel was cut off to the front of the bayonet lug. For display purposes putting a bayonet on it and pulling the ramrod out just a hair would fix that astecticly speaking.

Captaindrew - Yes, the basic Model 1816 bayonets were the same throughout the entire production run of the Model 1816 Musket. Even though minor changes brought about the use of different terms for the Model, it was essentially the same musket. You are correct that fitting a bayonet to it will enhance the display! Don' be dismayed if some of the bayonets don't want to fit properly, because the Model 1816 Musket production ended before the interchangeability of parts process was adopted. Still, a very attractive musket with great OHIO markings! Just as a point of interest, Ohio had two different "OHIO" stamps. You have one type, and the one shown by drm2m is the other type of "OHIO" stamp.
J.

Captaindrew - Yes, the basic Model 1816 bayonets were the same throughout the entire production run of the Model 1816 Musket. Even though minor changes brought about the use of different terms for the Model, it was essentially the same musket. You are correct that fitting a bayonet to it will enhance the display! Don' be dismayed if some of the bayonets don't want to fit properly, because the Model 1816 Musket production ended before the interchangeability of parts process was adopted. Still, a very attractive musket with great OHIO markings! Just as a point of interest, Ohio had two different "OHIO" stamps. You have one type, and the one shown by drm2m is the other type of "OHIO" stamp.
J.
Thank you @Jobe Holiday. I see plenty of M1816 bayonets for sale on line for not a ton of money so maybe I'll take a chance on one and hope it fits. Don't see many original pieces of anything down here in South Florida. The Ohio marks are one of the things that sold me on it and the nice crisp stamps on the lock. I have several reproductions but this is my first original musket. I've always wanted to get a hold of one if I ran across something nice that wouldn't break the bank and there it was when I wasn't really looking.

Back