New acquisition, Springfield conversion

Found it! Here's the quote from Moller's, American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol. III concerning front sights on M1816 rifled muskets. "The original brass front sight blade was removed from the upper band's rear barrel ring of Model 1816 muskets and from the front ring of M1840 muskets. A new iron front blade integral with its 1/2" by 3/8" base was riveted and soldered to the upper band's front barrel ring. The blade has a convex front profile and a straight, inclined rear profile." (p. 24) The same sight was added to M1842s when they were rifled.(p.200).

I have seen exceptions to this rule on rifled M1816s. Whether that's because the arsenals did not follow the guidelines or the front band has been replaced at some point, I can't say.

Found it! Here's the quote from Moller's, American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol. III concerning front sights on M1816 rifled muskets. "The original brass front sight blade was removed from the upper band's rear barrel ring of Model 1816 muskets and from the front ring of M1840 muskets. A new iron front blade integral with its 1/2" by 3/8" base was riveted and soldered to the upper band's front barrel ring. The blade has a convex front profile and a straight, inclined rear profile." (p. 24) The same sight was added to M1842s when they were rifled.(p.200).

I have seen exceptions to this rule on rifled M1816s. Whether that's because the arsenals did not follow the guidelines or the front band has been replaced at some point, I can't say.
Was this a guideline for all the arsenals to follow? Mine still has the rear ring brass sight. Being that I've found common stamps on different pieces of hardware would it be safe to assume that at least the hardware of my gun has been together from at least the time of it's conversion?

I have had some rifled conversions that have brass sights on the lower strap, too. My rule of thumb is like yours: if the parts look like they've been together, I'm okay with that.
Thanks, now it's just a matter of searching to try and find some of these stamps. If you ever come across a script M (possibly W but pretty sure it's a M) or a curvy U stamp let me know. I'm assuming the common ST stamps were of the original assembler of the piece that would be next to impossible to track down.

Back