New account of the fighting at Globe tavern Virginia August 21, 1864

Bryce

Corporal

This Book contains an account of the wartime experiences of George Beale who was a lieutenant in the ninth Virginia cavalry.

The information at the foot of page 170 reveals two new things about the battle of August 21.

we already know that after the repulse of the confederate infantry attack, division commander Rooney Lee rode south looking for a vulnerable spot in the union line. He found it at the white farm. Here he encountered union infantry under Tilson and an assortment of union cavalry from the first brigade in Gregg’s cavalry division.

What two things does Beale reveal in his book?

first, thanks to Beale we now know the Virginia cavalry brigade, formerly led by John Chambliss, was present on the field at Globe Tavern on August 21. I had previously thought they were still north of the Appomattox.

Second, Beale tells us that the cavalry brigade of John Dearing was engaged at the white farm and drove some of the union cavalry into a marshy area. Until now we have known absolutely nothing about the role of this brigade in this battle

bryce

I didn’t even know about this fight at the white farm until I read John Horn‘s book, the siege Petersburg: the battles for the Weldon Railroad, August 1864.

I can send you the two pages devoted to the fight at the farm if you would like

This Book contains an account of the wartime experiences of George Beale who was a lieutenant in the ninth Virginia cavalry.

The information at the foot of page 170 reveals two new things about the battle of August 21.

we already know that after the repulse of the confederate infantry attack, division commander Rooney Lee rode south looking for a vulnerable spot in the union line. He found it at the white farm. Here he encountered union infantry under Tilson and an assortment of union cavalry from the first brigade in Gregg’s cavalry division.

What two things does Beale reveal in his book?

first, thanks to Beale we now know the Virginia cavalry brigade, formerly led by John Chambliss, was present on the field at Globe Tavern on August 21. I had previously thought they were still north of the Appomattox.

Second, Beale tells us that the cavalry brigade of John Dearing was engaged at the white farm and drove some of the union cavalry into a marshy area. Until now we have known absolutely nothing about the role of this brigade in this battle

bryce

Bryce,

I had Beale's 1899 history of the 9th VA Cav., but I did not realize this book existed. Good find!

Back