Restricted Never Quite Thought Of It Like This....Ethnic Cleansing

partssman

Cadet
unionblue said:
partssman,

Why should you care about any of these supposed violations?

As you have declared yourself to no longer be a citizen of the United States, in which all of these supposed violations took place, how can you look towards any of the protections provided a citizen of that country? How can you look for any redress by any officials of the US or even complain?

Or is this the only thing you can do, in your status of a noncitizen, copy and paste for the propaganda division of the Lost Cause?

Unionblue

I don't recall saying that but maybe I did.

Violations where I have no business....you mean like lincoln and he so called proclamnation to free slaves in the Confederacy, although his wife and vice president and grant kept theirs til after the war ended.

Lost Cause???.....A lost war Sir but not the cause

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Wanna bet when the politically correct - embrace diveristy bunch get done with my cigarettes and my heritage your vices and heritage won't next?
We're getting closer to a specific Would you nail that down please, and give us something to chew on, outside of the PC policice are gonna get you?
Ole

blue_zouave

Sergeant
partssman said:
Wanna bet when the politically correct - embrace diveristy bunch get done with my cigarettes and my heritage your vices and heritage won't next?

You know nothing of my vices or of my heritage... or if you do, kindly inform me!

One of the many reasons I like this message board is that people can state their opinions (as you did) and others can state theirs (as I did.) That Dixie Perspective bloviation used to astonish me, as I stated before. Now I just find it amusing.

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
partssman said:

Maybe you could tell us what it is about your heritage that you wish to preserve.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Blu, you continue to amaze.Cut to the chase. So much appreciate that.
Violations where I have no business....you mean like lincoln and he so called proclamnation to free slaves in the Confederacy, although his wife and vice president and grant kept theirs til after the war ended.
Now, partssman has finally made a charge. Would he give us some substantial evidence?

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
partssman,

I would suggest that you stick to one arguement at a time.

First, you post an article concerning 'ethnic cleansing' in conjunction with another about are you a citizen of the USA or the CSA and then are surprised at the level of response which holds these two articles to a serious accounting, then claim they were not your articles, just someone else's opinion and then nibble at the edges while again claiming no responsibility for them.

You have yet to answer if you consider the PC atmosphere of today is the same as or as severe as true incidents of ethnic cleansing. I can understand why, as we both know no such thing is happening to all things Southern, at least not to the degree of comparing the two standards.

Now you continue to take shots from the hip by giving snips of events on the Emancipation Proclamation, Grant and Lincoln's wives having slaves. (Did Lincoln's wife own a slave in the White House or are you refering to when she was part of a slaveholding family?) It's a though you have cut out a single figure from the painting of the Last Supper and expect the rest of us to appreciate the entire scene.

I still await a worthwhile response from you.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

blue_zouave

Sergeant
partssman said:
...you mean like lincoln and he so called proclamnation to free slaves in the Confederacy, although his wife and vice president and grant kept theirs til after the war ended.

Tsk, I thought the whole war was not about slavery at all, the war had nothing to do with the slavery? Why play this morsel of disinformation as though it were a trump? :shrug:

Zou

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
The thing that boggles my mind is the sheer ignorance it takes to call any kind of negative "Southern experiance" Ethnic cleansing. Ask any soldier who had anything to do w/ Kosovo or Bosnia if there has been Ethnic cleansing in the US South and they will just look at you w/ a blank stare.

The native or black American, yes; the white southerner... good lord what a crock.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Tsk, I thought the whole war was not about slavery at all, the war had nothing to do with the slavery? Why play this morsel of disinformation as though it were a trump?
I'd like to see some backup information. If partssman believes Mary Todd Lincoln ever had a slave in the white house, let's have evidence. Julia Grant's slaves disappeared from view in '63. I've seen nothing about where they went -- freed or sent back to her father -- they just disappeared. After the war? Phooey.
Ole

The controversy and removal of things Confederate, statues, flags etc. is an interesting one.

It isn't ethnic cleansing as experienced by unfortunate peoples such as Native Americans, or African Americans(as recounted recently by Eliot Jaspin). Rather, it's emphasizing different topics of history that are more flattering, comfortable or meaningful to people today.

It isn't new to the South, either. Susie King Taylor, the wife of a sergeant in the United States Colored Troops wrote an account of her life during the war. In the last chapter, she brings her story to the 1890s, describing a trip to Louisiana to care for a sick relative. Now an elderly lady, she is forced to ride in segregated cars. She notes that Union army veterans, men like her late husband, were afraid to wear their GAR buttons because of lynching. Their story was to be wiped out of history. So stop whining because some Southerners prefer to memorialize something besides 1860-65.

Freddy

2nd Lieutenant
From what I have read there is a question as to whether the three or four slaves in question were ever the legal property of Julia Grant or remained the property of her family. From 1854-1858 Grant failed as a farmer while using a number of slaves owned by his father-in-law. There is a story that Grant did indeed own a slave and freed him in 1859.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Yes. Grant did have a slave. How he managed to buy the guy is open to question. Why he freed him when he could have sold him is another question. It looks very much like the slave was a gift from his father-in-law. In 1859, Grant didn't have two quarters to rub together, let alone buy an adult slave. And to give walking papers to him? Julia Grant had the services of as many as three "servants." Black Julia is the most notable. All of these disappeared somewhere around '63, when Grant's star was rising. I'm certain Julia Grant was heartbroken to lose the services of Black Julia, a lady with whom she'd grown up. And I'd suppose Grant hisself had to work long and hard on getting her to hire someone to help with the kids when she was so familiar with and trusted Black Julia. In any event, Grant having a slave until after the war is just so much poppycock. Lincoln having one is laughable.
Ole

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
ole said:
Yes. Grant did have a slave. How he managed to buy the guy is open to question. Why he freed him when he could have sold him is another question. It looks very much like the slave was a gift from his father-in-law. In 1859, Grant didn't have two quarters to rub together, let alone buy an adult slave. And to give walking papers to him? Julia Grant had the services of as many as three "servants." Black Julia is the most notable. All of these disappeared somewhere around '63, when Grant's star was rising. I'm certain Julia Grant was heartbroken to lose the services of Black Julia, a lady with whom she'd grown up. And I'd suppose Grant hisself had to work long and hard on getting her to hire someone to help with the kids when she was so familiar with and trusted Black Julia. In any event, Grant having a slave until after the war is just so much poppycock. Lincoln having one is laughable.
Ole

C'mon Ole; you know that facts have a tendency to get in the way of the Lost Cause; never stoped them before.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Sigh,

Just guess those folks in charge of the Southern branch of 'ethnic cleansing' are letting the PC crowd down.

http://www.geocities.com/gregmkay/

I admit it seems there have not been any recent postings to this site, but it seems incredible to me that it is still up on the web what with all things PC bent on erasing all things Southern (if one can stomach to call this site 'Southern').

What it indicates to me is that anyone, and I mean anyone, can post their agenda, have others read it, disagree or agree and have their say and Uncle Sam, PC, liberals and supposed Unionists don't seem to want to invest the time and the bother with such a 'serious' threat to the US.

*ethnic cleansing my ___. Yawn!*
Unionblue

suwannee

Banned
partssman said:
Lost Cause???.....A lost war Sir but not the cause

I can't speak with certainty for the current time Partssman, but I can as concerns the past.

There was a faction in the Congress who intended to transport white Southern residents out of the South - I guess they intended to dump them among the Indians - and then repopulate the South and establish new states.

Their hatred for Southerners was so virulent that they even intended to eradicate the names they'd given to their home states.

This would only be done to Confederate whites. Freed slaves would remain - so there is a racial element - exile by skin color. Of course these would also be political opponents, so there is a political element. Then they intended to erase even the names these people resided under.

Racial, ethnic, political, and cultural cleansing was what these animals were going to do under the mantle of Reconstruction. And that was the government.

They didn't prevail, but it wasn't for lack of trying - and they had considerable support among northerners.

I can't say your opinion is correct, but I also say you have good reason to suspect it might happen. You're not some crackpot - they already tried to do it once.

non carborundum illegitimi

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
suwanne,

Nothing to say for those who forestalled 'radical' republicans who wished to repopulate the South? Nothing to say for Gen. Grant who told Stanton and President Johnson that he would resign if treason charges were brought up against Lee and others? Nothing to say about Gen. Sherman, who offered better terms than Grant at Appomattox?

History should reflect all the facts and incidents that took place, not just the ones that support a particular point of view. Just doesn't seem fair, in my own humble view.

The fact of the matter is, no 'ethnic cleansing' took place then, and no way is any taking place today on all things Southern.

Unionblue

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
suwannee,

In case you need to use some more latin phrases.

Latin Quote & Phrases

http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html

And I leave you with this one.

Amoto guaeramus seria ludo - translation: Joking aside, let us turn to serious matters

Or maybe this phrase would be more approbriate:

Amicule, deliciae, num is sum qui mentiar tibi? - translation: Baby, sweetheart, would I lie to you?

It would be nice if both you and samgrant would offer a translation as it could be considered rude to deliberately confuse and distract by using such. At the very least it is annoying and it appears that one is putting on airs by using such phrases without a translation.

As I have shown by providing the site above, it is no great trick to throw a latin phrase into conversation nor does it indicate a superior mindset or point of view.

suwannee, I can understand why you didn't, as it could be considered vulgar and the filter used here more than likely wouldn't let it get through in total.

samgrant, couldn't find yours. Want to enlighten us?

Unionblue