Restricted Never Quite Thought Of It Like This....Ethnic Cleansing

partssman

Cadet
I realize the article is a bit dated but yet the problem does exsist

This writer makes a good point that I never thought of in the same way he does. He points out that there is an ethnic cleansing of Dixie being pulled off by large companies who no longer wish to be associated with the South or our heroes. What do you think?

This is not a recent article but it does raise a few questions.....

http://www.georgiaheritagecoalition.org/site2/commentary/bearden-ethnic-cleansing-dixie.phtml

This past Sunday, we witnessed yet another brutal assassination in the war against everything Southern, what we below the Mason-Dixon line tradionally call our cultural Heritage. It was the last ever running of the NASCAR Southern 500.

NASCAR, of course, was born in the back woods and hills of Georgia, but since NASCAR has teamed up with the shakedown artist, Je$$e Jack$on, NASCAR must now deny their roots and forget their Southern fans. Everyone has heard about NASCAR's efforts to ban Confederate flags from viewing stands and the infields, bogus stunts such as "flag trade-ins" and efforts to appease Je$$e Jack$son by "diversifying" the drivers and race teams.

The University of Mississippi "Ole Miss" Rebels have had their 'Colonel' mascot removed. There are talks at the State University of West Georgia to change the Braves mascot to appease NCAA thought-police. The NCAA Div. III Dixie Conference of southeast Virginia and northeast North Carolina had to alter its 40-year-old name last year thanks to "P.C." The University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, is under PC pressure to change its 130+ year-old name to something more yankee friendly. Vanderbilt University changed the name of "Confederate Hall," built with money from the United Daughters of the Confederacy, to appease P.C. forces. Litigation continues on that one. The NCAA continues its extortion against States with Confederate symbols in their state flags or on their capitol grounds and against universities with mascots or team names they find potentially "offensive."

Ashby Street in Atlanta was changed to Lowery Blvd. in 2001. The road was previously named to honor Brigadier General Turner Ashby, who while leading a charge into battle, including Georgians, said "Forward my brave men!" and was then shot dead. Atlanta city council changed the name in violation of Georgia Law (O.C.G.A 50-3-1 ) which is supposed to prevent the altering of memorials to any military service. Also in violation of the same law, one of three Confederate flags were removed from a memorial in Augusta Georgia by Augusta Mullah-Mayor Bob Young in September 2004 thanks to the demands from the South Carolina NAACP.

The statue of Jefferson Davis in New Orleans was vandalized in 2003. Some of the statues on Monument Avenue in Richmond Virgina were vandalized just before Confederate Memorial Day this year. The UDC offered a reward. An Obliesk in White Point Gardens in Charleston, S.C., was defaced immediately following the burial of the eight Confederate Sailors of the Submarine Hunley in April. This past week, monuments in Chickamauga were defaced and vandalized just prior to Veterans Day.

Coca-Cola no longer uses southern imagery in its advertisments, like a 1940's Life magazine ad during World War II showing General Stonewall Jackson resting his troops for "The Pause that Refreshes" nor do they even credit Coke's inventor, Dr John Pemberton, with being a Colonel in the Confederate Cavalry, he is just mentioned as a 'civil war veteran.' BellSouth refuses to allow advertisements with images of Southern flags or icons. And numerous Georgia-based businesses like Coke and Home Depot gave thousands of dollars to the legislators who voted for the state flag change in 2001 (from the '56 flag specifically designed to honor Georgia's veterans to the flag known as "the ugliest flag in North America.")

The 1956 Georgia flag was stolen by radical zealots in 2001, led by King Rat Roy Barnes, all predicated on a mountain of lies about the '56 flag and its adoption. These same radicals, minus a rat or two, mad that the ugly blue Barnes' Legacy flag only lasted about 110 weeks, attempted to pass HB 899 in 2003, which would have meant the removal of the Memorial Carving on Stone Mountain. The radical Georgia Democrats, with their anti-Southern fanaticism are just as evil as Afghanistan's Taliban. Why? Remember the Taliban didn't want the centuries old statues of Buddahs, so they blasted them down in 2001.

Former Presidential candidate Dick Gephardt demanded the removal of Confederate flags in the only two Confederate graveyards in Missouri. A federal judge banned the flying of a Confederate flag over Confederate graves in the Union run Confederate Prisoner of War camp in Maryland - Point Lookout. Numerous school systems illegally forbid students from wearing anything Confederate to class (school banning) in violation of the Constitution's First Amendment, Supreme Court 1969 ruling in Tinker, 6th Circuit 2001 ruling in Castorina, and 4th Circuit 2003 ruling in Newsom.

This list doesn't begin to be all-inclusive but rather is a short list from the top of my head. These attacks are epidemic. Beginning in 1991 with the NAACP issuing their demand that the Confederate Flag be removed from the South Carolina Statehouse Dome with a press release calling the flag "...An odious blight on the universe" and, after accomplishing that, they complained bitterly when it was moved to a memorial elsewhere on the capitol grounds. The NAACP reneged on their promise to end the economic boycott if the flag were removed from the Capitol dome. Since tourism dollars are up in South Carolina, I'm sure the S.C. Chamber types hope the NAACP boycott goes on indefinitely.

The NAACP and their attack dogs now routinely equate Honorable men like General Robert E. Lee with German dictator Adolf Hitler. Atlanta Mayor Maynard Jackson is credited with first coining the phrase "Confederate swastika" and hate-filled racists like Julian Bond and Al Sharpton have been parroting the phrase ever since to refer to Confederate Battle flags. The most recent presidential campaign brought forth more vitriol against Southern symbols from the likes of Howard Dean, John Edwards and Al Sharpton.

Relentlessly they continue, and what began as an outcry against one flag in one place has turned into the ethnic cleansing of Dixie.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
May I introduce you the reincarnation of Mildred Rutherford. Look for the talking points memo -- someone missed running dogs of imperialism.
Ole

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
partssman,

Why should you care about any of these supposed violations?

As you have declared yourself to no longer be a citizen of the United States, in which all of these supposed violations took place, how can you look towards any of the protections provided a citizen of that country? How can you look for any redress by any officials of the US or even complain?

Or is this the only thing you can do, in your status of a noncitizen, copy and paste for the propaganda division of the Lost Cause?

Unionblue

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
While the honor and memory of Civil War soldiers both north and south deserve some preservation, much of this nonsense has little impact on the world at large. There is far more to worry about.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
The writer of the article does seem a bit unhinged. Coca-Cola in WWII? Renaming a street? NASCAR? Ethnic cleansing? I thought I'd heard it all, but this one comes from way out in left field.
Ole

Elliot Jaspin has just published a six part article in the Austin American about African Americans being driven out, by means legal or illegal, some towns and counties in the early 1900s--

Oh shoot, when the thread said ethnic cleansing, I thought we were discussing ethnic cleansing It's just whining about the Confederate flag. My bad.

suwannee

Banned
Gentlemen if you please.

If someone quotes scripture to me as "the word of God" I may respond "your utter faith in what you believe is not proof what you believe is right".

I wouldn't do so because it would be uncouth to question someone's faith - not because it is increasingly a legal offense to do so.

However if I were to call a black man that name that black men regularly call each other without offense being taken, and he were to do violence on me for it, I would be adjudicated wrong for striking at his heart, where he merely struck my body - and would be pardoned.

When you strike at someone's faith you force them into an unreal domain where rationality doesn't apply. That only compounds the injury.

The real problem is that some irrationalities are condoned, while others are mocked. That isn't a healthful condition for any society - it is a sign of illness. A grave illness.

Let him who is disease free make the first diagnosis.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
suwannee,

And let he who is pretending to be sick, cut it the heck out.

The article had nothing to do with the word of God or calling a black man a name he finds offensive from one race and does not from another.

We are talking about all things 'Southern' in general and things 'Confederate' specifically.

If true ethnic cleansing, the type that we Americans have viewed on TV from Bosnia, Sudan, Iraq, 1940s Germany, etc., had been applied to Confederate and Southern heritage, we would not be having these debates on this forum. We would all be dead or under arrest. (Or for that matter, we might be in heaven or hell.:angel: )

The fact of the matter is, people, those informed and uninformed, are deciding the matter of Southern heritage and Confederate symbols everyday. They are either ignoring the subject completely because they have what they consider better things to do, or they are voting on those issues with the knowledge they have at hand, which may not be very much at all.

Education on the matter is the key, not so woe-is-me trying to blow this subject up to a non-issue of 'ethnic cleansing' that simply does not compare in violence and seriousness that that term implies.

My advice to the writer of the article; get real and then maybe you will be taken seriously.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
suwanee is quite correct in that one's faith in an almighty is sacrosanct. One's belief in the correctness or lack thereof in the Confederacy is, however, fair game. There is ample history and evidence available for either side to cite. If one's faith is shaken or altered, so much the better.
Ole

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
The real problem is that some irrationalities are condoned, while others are mocked. That isn't a healthful condition for any society - it is a sign of illness. A grave illness.
I'll take exception and mock any irrationality I find. "The south was right" is first on the list of irrationalities due for some serious mocking.

I'll reject any suggestion that my mocking the writer of that pitiful article is a grave illness. Rather, it's a quest for an ultimate truth. Faith don't cut it when it comes to history.
Ole

suwannee

Banned
In the spirit of rationality - as I see it - I reply.

I have no doubt there is a kernel of truth in what the author of this thread says. I know that because I've encountered those who wish to eradicate any trace of things Southern, by any means necessary.

Their intent is irrational, and I resist all things irrational; I will benefit you with the same, being that I'd guess you find same sex marriage irrational.

Yet this irrationality is officially condoned, isn't it?

Pardon my being a wet blanket but I believe in equality.

If said lunacy as same sex marriage is officially condoned, then I must come down on the side of the author here, and condone his view, even though I know it to be true only in part.

Now you must really be confused.

What you see as foolishness I will admit to being the first steps of a campaign of intended ethnic cleansing. It may be worthy of contempt, but it is a serious undertaking by those involved with it however small their numbers. Yet still a hideous bogusity such as same sex marriage can gain force of Law? How is that possible either? Can one absurdity became reality and others not? Would you support such a thing? If the answer is yes, then you prove the author's argument better than I ever could. Do you?

How that effort will end I can't say, but it certainly won't be defeated by my describing it as lunacy. Therefore I don't.

Do we live in such different realities?

That was an excellent mental exercise.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
suwanne,

You may have considered it a great mental exercise, whereas I consider it a great mental smokescreen.

Again, if the campaign to eradicate all traces of Southern heritage (a codeword to mean all things Confederate, perhaps?) is being conducted with the ferocity of true ethnic cleansings, why is there a Sons of Confederate Veterans? Why are there local chapters of such throughout the United States? Why is there such a thing as a Southern Legal Resource Center?

If there were such a thing as a ruthless, ongoing, continued, sustained attempt to cleanse the US of all things 'Southern' why such numerous sites on such attempts? Why so many debates on various boards and web sites? Why so many Confederate Flag t-shirts?:confused:

I'm with Ole on this one, feelings are one thing, proof is another. Perhaps we choose the reality we prefer to live in and thereby abandon obvious reality for our preferred view.

It's a nonissue with most of the country and for good reason. It's not a real issue.

Just one man's opinion and it was no mental exercise for me.:smile:

Sincerely,
Unionblue

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I have no doubt there is a kernel of truth in what the author of this thread says. I know that because I've encountered those who wish to eradicate any trace of things Southern, by any means necessary.
Now that's just plain silly. Out there are some ridiculous PC people who complain about this and that are related to slavery, but on this board and others, we have no such that I've encountered in more than a couple of years.

Nobody here is interested in ethnic cleansing. No one here is devoted to obliterate southern honor. None here earnestly desires the removal of the CBF from anywhere it holds meaning.

Let's get down to a point by point discussion. Come up with a point. Vague allegations give the rest of us nothing to discuss. You've likely some good points to examine. Let's have one to start with.
Ole

blue_zouave

Sergeant
It's the same old Dixie Perspective stuff that I encountered with astonishment when I first signed onto the Internet, back in the balmy late '90s.

Now I am older, though perhaps not wiser, and nothing much astonishes me any more. I page through the "Southern Living" magazine when it comes to the house, though the gardening tips are useless in the wilds of Idaho!

I guess that when "Southern Living" is outlawed, only outlaws will read "Southern Living!" :D

Zou

mobile_96

First Sergeant
blue_zouave said:
I guess that when "Southern Living" is outlawed, only outlaws will read "Southern Living!" :D Zou
Whooooeeee Wheeee! Does this mean my Cajun cooking is next?? No more blackeye peas and corn pone for dinner ??
Count me in as a outlaw in that case!! :veryhappy :

partssman

Cadet
blue_zouave said:
:laugh2: :laugh2:

What a hoot!!!

Zou

Wanna bet when the politically correct - embrace diveristy bunch get done with my cigarettes and my heritage your vices and heritage won't next?