Neshaminy State Park April 28-29, 2018 reenactment cancelled

Related, sort of--Oregon State Parks will no longer host Civil War reenactments. The reenactment that for many years was held at Fort Stevens (built during the Civil War) on the Oregon coast during Labor Day weekend has been moved to the Astoria Fairgrounds. Ugh.

Anyone know what the story is on this one? I really look forward to these.

http://www.neshaminycwevent.org/
From what my unit has told us it is because the park wanted to vigilantly enforce laws on alcohol on state parks and search reenactor vehicles as we entered and force the reenactors to pay for the additional staffing it would take to do so. Not that all of us drink, but part of the culture of the hobby is after camp closes having a adult beverage or two to unwind and get ready for the next day. Most parks don't care as long as participants clean up and don't do anything stupid.

From what my unit has told us it is because the park wanted to vigilantly enforce laws on alcohol on state parks and search reenactor vehicles as we entered and force the reenactors to pay for the additional staffing it would take to do so. Not that all of us drink, but part of the culture of the hobby is after camp closes having a adult beverage or two to unwind and get ready for the next day. Most parks don't care as long as participants clean up and don't do anything stupid.

So, I'm thinking that there will be no more reenactments there until this issue is resolved? This does not look good.

Welcome to the forum from The Trans-Mississippi Department.

There was a discussion about this on the Regimental Quartermaster facebook page a couple weeks ago. I guess the park took some social media flack on the no alcohol policy and pulled the plug. I wouldn't put it past a state park to look for a excuse to get rid of it these days. These events will all be on private property before long.

I was really disappointed when I found out it was cancelled. I'll try to find the official statement that was released and share it on the forum. I believe it has something to do with the regulations of PA State Parks.
We had about 6 or 7 people coming down from RI and another dozen or so coming up from NJ from the 2nd RI that all got messed up when they cancelled, it was a huge disappointment always was a fun event.

We had about 6 or 7 people coming down from RI and another dozen or so coming up from NJ from the 2nd RI that all got messed up when they cancelled, it was a huge disappointment always was a fun event.

That's a bummer. I was planning on doing Neshaminy as my first event (I'm going to start reenacting this year,) but then a few weeks ago something came up, so I wouldn't have been able to participate anyway. I would have probably attended as a spectator though.

That's a bummer. I was planning on doing Neshaminy as my first event (I'm going to start reenacting this year,) but then a few weeks ago something came up, so I wouldn't have been able to participate anyway. I would have probably attended as a spectator though.
Not to change the subject but I was going to ask you if you were able to hook up with a unit, I know you were looking when you signed up. I'll be up your way for Gettysburg, if you're going hopefully we'll get to say hi. I know there will be at least a few of us CWT members there.

Back