Neiman-Marcus chicken tortilla soup

RobertP

Lt. Colonel
Today MrsP and I went to Northpark Mall in Dallas and had a late lunch at the Mermaid Bar in Neiman-Marcus. It's not really a bar but a department store restaurant catering to customers and employees, and known for its excellent salads and sandwiches. I had their Tortilla soup as a side and as always is the best I have ever had. Just outstanding, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it! The recipe has been published many times before, I found it on the site, The Daily Meal.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 lb unsalted butter
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 ounce taco seasoning
  • 2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
  • 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
  • 6 soft corn tortillas, shredded
  • 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped
  • 4 -6 roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 bunch cilantro leaf, chopped
  • 3/4 ounce cheddar cheese spread
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 pint heavy cream
Directions
  1. Sauté first 7 ingredients in large stockpot until tender.
  2. Stir in garlic and taco seasoning.
  3. Add chicken stock, corn tortillas and cooked chicken breast.
  4. Bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes.
  5. Add tomatoes, cilantro and Cheddar cheese spread, then simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Add baking soda; stir well.
  7. When foaming subsides, add heavy cream and simmer 30 minutes more.
  8. Garnish with baked tortilla strips.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/recipes/neiman-marcus-cafe-chicken-tortilla-soup-recipe

Last edited:
I think I make tortilla soup pretty good. I need to make some. it is a good winter soup. I usually make a variation on the recipes I find. I do not use beef or hamburger in it, like some recipes call for, as it does not taste like I think it should. it should be chicken. There is a lot of toppings you can use. I think this gives it a bit of a taste, which is to makes it special to the one eating it. The closest Max and Erma's to me is in St. Peter's Missouri. This is west of St. Louis. Their tortilla Soup always reminded me of cheese soup more than anything else. Tortilla soup is not cheese soup.

Missed this thread.never had Max and Erma's soup but from the post I believe I would enjoy it.there are too many Mexican restaurants in this area and they all make this soup,the problem is not many of them make it good.

I am making my first batch of tortilla tonight, slow cook style. The first time I have cooked it in a couple of years, since before my wife died. I am feeling very sentimental right now. I know the who and the why. I will let you know how it turns out.

Nothing evokes memory more than smell, guess the experts would have the explanation but boy, it's awfully insistent. Hope it was a crazy good batch.

Nothing evokes memory more than smell, guess the experts would have the explanation but boy, it's awfully insistent. Hope it was a crazy good batch.
They say you eat with your eyes first,but I think you might eat with your nose first.just think of fresh baked bread and I am putting on calories before it's out of the oven.

My husband and I bake our own bread A LOT. The very first time we baked a loaf, we cut slices of the very warm bread, put butter on it which melted immediately and ate them. Before we knew it, we had eaten the whole loaf between us. It was that irresistible.

Back