Need tips for Knoxville, Stones River and Ft. Donelson

In addition to the excellent recent posts about the Knoxville area, I'd recommend the McClung Museum on the campus of UT and the great East TN Historical Society museum downtown. The Historical Society also has a free walking tour map of CW sites around town. Plenty of great spots around there for lunch and libations as well!
I just posted some photos from Knoxville. The Historical Society Museum is great. We went to Fort Dickerson and Bleak House also on this trip. Much of Knoxville area sites have been built over, but I'll see if they will send me the walking tour map, I'd like to do it. I'm planning to be there two more times this year. Sam Houston's birthplace is out in Blount County. We enjoyed the Blount Mansion. The Mabrey Hazen house is great. I posted photos on CWT of it. And Bethel Confederate Cemetery is across the street.
There are some historical sites at this link:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g55138-Activities-c47-Knoxville_Tennessee.html

I just posted some photos from Knoxville. The Historical Society Museum is great. We went to Fort Dickerson and Bleak House also on this trip. Much of Knoxville area sites have been built over, but I'll see if they will send me the walking tour map, I'd like to do it. I'm planning to be there two more times this year. Sam Houston's birthplace is out in Blount County. We enjoyed the Blount Mansion. The Mabrey Hazen house is great. I posted photos on CWT of it. And Bethel Confederate Cemetery is across the street.
There are some historical sites at this link:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g55138-Activities-c47-Knoxville_Tennessee.html
Houston may have lived in the area before being elected Governor of Tennessee, a post he held for only a very short time before resigning and fleeing the state under suspicious and controversial circumstances, now mostly unknown but highly speculated on. However, he was a native Virginian and his birthplace was only a short distance from Lexington in the Shenandoah Valley, a fact commemorated by a Virginia State historical marker in a nearby roadside park just off the Interstate.

Is there anything in Knoxville left to see in regards to the ACW. I’m sure it’s a fine town otherwise. I was under the impression that modern development has taken over the battlefield ?

several well preserved forts on the opposite side of the river form the town
The CSA and USA Cemeteries are nice with many CW personalities buried there
The Bleak House is wartime and iconic
If you are going that way-- the Farragut Statue and museum in the nearby town of Farragut is first class

Houston may have lived in the area before being elected Governor of Tennessee, a post he held for only a very short time before resigning and fleeing the state under suspicious and controversial circumstances, now mostly unknown but highly speculated on. However, he was a native Virginian and his birthplace was only a short distance from Lexington in the Shenandoah Valley, a fact commemorated by a Virginia State historical marker in a nearby roadside park just off the Interstate.
https://samhoustonhistoricschoolhouse.org/
I apologize, I misspoke. The schoolhouse he worked at is in Blount County. I visited there a few years ago.
There is a monument to him at the Blount County Courthouse. I drive by it all the time when I'm in town.
https://www.thedailytimes.com/news/...cle_a54a801d-7b05-59f6-a69f-9c9d7a676a61.html
I enjoy reading about him. He had a colorful life. They certainly remember him around Blount County TN.

https://samhoustonhistoricschoolhouse.org/
I apologize, I misspoke. The schoolhouse he worked at is in Blount County. I visited there a few years ago.
There is a monument to him at the Blount County Courthouse. I drive by it all the time when I'm in town.
https://www.thedailytimes.com/news/...cle_a54a801d-7b05-59f6-a69f-9c9d7a676a61.html
I enjoy reading about him. He had a colorful life. They certainly remember him around Blount County TN.
Houston & his young wife stayed at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage. That is quite a tale. She developed a loathing for Houston that she shared with Rachael Jackson.

Is there anything in Knoxville left to see in regards to the ACW. I’m sure it’s a fine town otherwise. I was under the impression that modern development has taken over the battlefield ?
There was very recently a thorough description with many photos by @lelliott19 of the surviving places in and around Knoxville!

Houston & his young wife stayed at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage. That is quite a tale. She developed a loathing for Houston that she shared with Rachael Jackson.
I've been to the Hermitage. It is beautiful. I will look that up, sounds like a great story Rhea!
Houston had been seriously wounded by an arrow through his leg or thigh as a young officer in the battle of Horseshoe Bend, Alabama during Andrew Jackson's war with the Creek/Muscogee, part of the War of 1812. Supposedly something about the still-suppurating wound was ghastly and repulsive to Houston's new bride, and their union may or may not have actually been consummated; as I recall theirs was an annulment rather than a divorce. It was all very salacious for the times and Governor Houston seems to have actually fled the state in disgrace! He bounced around for a while, eventually coming to rest as a trader in Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma) among the Cherokee, acquiring a new common-law Indian "wife" and the nickname among them Big Drunk. Houston was a coarse individual who in frontier fashion blew his nose with his fingers; how he dried himself out and cleaned himself up to become Jackson's personal emissary to the Texans, leader of the Revolution, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, victor over Santa Anna at San Jacinto, President of the Republic, Governor of the State, and husband of the beautiful and younger Margaret Lea Houston is another historical mystery.

Last edited:
Houston had been seriously wounded by an arrow through his leg or thigh as a young officer in the battle of Horseshoe Bend, Alabama during Andrew Jackson's war with the Creek/Muscogee, part of the War of 1812. Supposedly something about the still-suppurating wound was ghastly and repulsive to Houston's new bride, and their union may or may not have actually been consummated; as I recall theirs was an annulment rather than a divorce. It was all very salacious for the times and Governor Houston seems to have actually fled the state in disgrace! He bounced around for a while, eventually coming to rest as a trader in Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma) among the Cherokee, acquiring a new common-law Indian "wife" and the nickname among them Big Drunk. Houston was a coarse individual who in frontier fashion blew his nose with his fingers; how he dried himself out and cleaned himself up to become Jackson's personal emissary to the Texans, leader of the Revolution, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, victor over Santa Anna at San Jacinto, President of the Republic, Governor of the State, and husband of the beautiful and younger Margaret Lea Houston is another historical mystery.
Great story, thanks!

Being an associate of Andrew Jackson wasn’t good for a normal married life. Rumour had it that James K Polks marriage suffered the same fate. His seemed a happy one in spite of it unlike Houston’s.

Back