Need some help from the uniform and or weapon gurus

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

relicKING

Private
I recently acquired this amazing photograph and am trying to place a definitive date to it if possible. Anyone recognize anything in particular? Thanks!

cwcompany1.jpg
cwcompany2.jpg

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
The enlisted men appear to be wearing nine-button roundabout jackets. The jackets are too long and too loose to be standard roundabout jackets and are more like sack coats. Note the standing collars and cloth epaulets. The jackets have light colored flap trim on the lower sleeves, probably non functional sleeve cuffs. They wear white gloves. The enlisted men wear matching dark color trousers and kepi style caps.

I feel like I have seen this image before. I am guessing this is either a early Civil War unit or a early post Civil War unit. A gun expert might be able to tell us something.

Last edited:

James Brenner

Private
It looks like a photograph of a local militia company on a village green sometime in the early 1870s. The coats, particularly the cuff trim, look like local variations of the M1872 dress coat. As Major Bill noted, the standing collars, epaulets, and coat length all suggest post-war. The caps appear to be kepis. It's hard to tell from the picture, but at first glance, the men seem to be wearing McKeever cartridge boxes on their waist belts as they appear to be too big to be cap pouches, but McKeevers didn't come into service until 1874. The muskets, considering the placement of the barrel bands, are most likely M1863 Springfields. They could be M1866 conversions, but I don't believe any were issued to National Guard/militia units, so they probably are cap pouches. Another thing to consider is the size of the unit. It's pretty small for a regular army company. For several years after the end of the Civil War, it was hard to find people willing to join a militia/NG unit and, as a result, the units (at least in Ohio) tended to be pretty small. All in all, it's an interesting photograph.

Package4

1st Lieutenant
I recently acquired this amazing photograph and am trying to place a definitive date to it if possible. Anyone recognize anything in particular? Thanks!

View attachment 338061View attachment 338062
Without question, post war, the collar, cuffs and kepis are the giveaway among other factors. The officers are in what appear to be Civil War vintage uniforms, which would not be unusual, but the men are definitely in post war garb. I would date this around 1872-78.