Need some advice...

White Horse is still there. That's where the chamber of commerce meets. The company I last worked for which kicked me out the door back in September is across the street. That one falls in the general category of tourist trap.

It was WAY tourist trap, so of course all the teenagers loved it. There was a tv show live from there at the time, so they thought it was cool to take dance lessons and dance on the floor. I fought going there like crazy, but like I said, pleasantly surprised by the food, which I was expecting to be terrible and overpriced. (Don't remember about the price, because we were using money that had been raised by us for the trip).

I was using money that had been raised by my labor across the street. I remember the price. Not in the league with Hard Rock, but touristy. Probably a good once in a decade experience nonetheless. The view across the river from the upper floor is very good. Those old buildings on 2nd ave were used as warehouses and were mostly built in the 1880s or so. The paddlewheelers would drop a plank on the river bank and muscular young men would carrry freight into the 1st ave entrance to the buildings. Sometimes the river would sneak into 1st ave. before the tva dams were built.

The thing I insisted upon was going to the Hermitage. Andrew Jackson was one of my favorite presidents, and I loved the whole experience. I hated having to miss all the Civil War stuff, but at least I got something I wanted out of the trip. Considering I was not a history teacher at the time, and that this was an exchange trip to Kentucky with only a day in Nashville, I think it was a good choice.

The thing I insisted upon was going to the Hermitage. Andrew Jackson was one of my favorite presidents, and I loved the whole experience. I hated having to miss all the Civil War stuff, but at least I got something I wanted out of the trip. Considering I was not a history teacher at the time, and that this was an exchange trip to Kentucky with only a day in Nashville, I think it was a good choice.

Though I despise what he did to the American tribes, he was the last President to actually have a surplus in the federal budget. You know without fudging numbers or moving funds from SS to show that we are in the black. He was proud of that until his death. Wish we that that kind of fiscal conservatism from presidents on both sides nowadays.

Again, I tend to look at folks in the context of the times. What he did to the tribes was terrible....but apparently the American people backed him all the way. As a person with Cherokee and Choctaw ancestors, I guess you could say I fully get the results of the genocide practiced at the time. I still think he's interesting as all get out.

He saved his (future) wife from a horrible situation. To me that makes up for a multitude of sins. Yeah, maybe he could have married her a little sooner than he did...

You might have been told that the Hermitage grounds housed one of the largest Confederate old soldiers homes in the South? In its own building, not the Hermitage. You made a civil war visit after all.

He saved his (future) wife from a horrible situation. To me that makes up for a multitude of sins. Yeah, maybe he could have married her a little sooner than he did...
The old Indian slaying rascal was an attorney. Perhaps worse? He simply thought she was divorced, as I recall. My recaller doesn't always work too well, so I may take some knocks here. I'm trying to say he didn't intentionally cause the ruckus about the marriage.

Her soon-to-be-ex-husband is the one who caused the ruckus, by being a jerk. They were separated, and as I recall she was living with her mother, with whom Jackson was boarding. And then, before you know it, she was living with Jackson and they sorta decided they were husband and wife. It looks to me like they skipped the pesky formality of a wedding until later, but still. So, yeah, I consider this to be saving her from a bad situation, given what the prospects were for divorcees (or whatever) in 1890s Tennessee.

And yes, Jackson was a jerk too in some ways. But not to women, kids, horses, or dogs. And he did balance the budget.

Sounds like you know him. I would have eased on out of the way if I were a dog in his path. He did much to expand a young bustling nation, at the expense of a few thousand native American lives and the 'legal' acquisition of their hunting lands. He gets points for accepting the help of Jean LaFitte at New Orleans; no one has ever said Jackson was stupid, just that his muddy boots messed up the White House. After Clinton, I don't feel so bad about that.

You might have been told that the Hermitage grounds housed one of the largest Confederate old soldiers homes in the South? In its own building, not the Hermitage. You made a civil war visit after all.

Actually, I did...there's a series of novels I read as a child which discussed that, and I was aware....I just wanted to visit Franklin, Belmont and some other spots!

And I appreciate his winning the Battle of New Orleans and giving me ONE MORE battle to help the kids remember the war...even if it WAS after the fact. Thanks to Old Hickory and Johnny Horton, we can actually place another event on the timeline!

Sounds like you know him. I would have eased on out of the way if I were a dog in his path.
No, he liked dogs. Dogs, horses, women, and kids. Everyone else needed to watch their step, though. Like I said, he was a jerk in some ways. But, some of what he did would have been done by somebody sooner or later, unfortunately.

Back