Recent Find Breechldrs Need parts for 1859 Sharps Carbine

9th VA Asian

Private
Hi all. Just recently got my hands on an old rusty 1859 Sharps Carbine barrel and breech. I highly dought it would shoot live rounds ever again but I'd like to get it back into somewhat working order to shoot blanks for my reenactments. I need advise on reasonably priced/conditioned parts. I found this site and it states reproduction parts but doesn't mention from what manufacturer. I am wondering if anyone bought repro parts from them and had them fit or not fit? Thanks for any advice guys!

Screenshot_2020-10-05-22-13-55~2.png

Screenshot_2020-10-05-22-14-01~2.png

Screenshot_2020-10-05-22-14-10~2.png

Screenshot_2020-10-05-22-14-22~2.png

Screenshot_2020-10-05-22-14-27~2.png

Screenshot_2020-10-05-22-14-37~2.png

Screenshot_2020-10-05-22-14-47~2.png

I think parts would cast you more then searching all the dealers and auctions for a not so pristine one
They're starting to get very scarce and prices are always high. Besides, I personally want to see a wallhanger being brought back to some semblance of its former glory.

Taylor deals with Italian reproductions (metric threading) and does not deal with parts for originals.
There is also the question of whether the frame holes have been buggered up by some previous owner....that screw sticking into the frame is not the correct screw for that location, and who knows if someone tried to force it and caused damage to the threading in the frame?
You've got a complicated problem with the broken tang on the receiver - this is part of the receiver and can't be just unscrewed and replaced, you've have to do some welding to replace it.
Its getting close to winter and winter-time projects, but be aware that this would not be a "drop in the parts" type project!

Try S&S Firearms. Look at the parts and their names/order numbers, but disregard their "in Stock/Out of Stock status. Get their phone number off their website and call them once you know the names of the parts you are looking for, and they will manually check inventory (the online parts inventory isn't always accurate). Be clear about whether you want original or repro parts.

I have bought stuff from them, and been happy with their service.

The tang will actually be pretty straight forward to me as I have a welder and have gotten better at shaping the steel. And thank you all for the info! I'll check S&S again. Was getting frustrated with the lack of parts out there.

The tang will actually be pretty straight forward to me as I have a welder and have gotten better at shaping the steel. And thank you all for the info! I'll check S&S again. Was getting frustrated with the lack of parts out there.
Back in March, I know they had many original and repro parts for the 1863 Sharps. You need to speak to them by phone...good luck!

Lodgewood, Gunderson Militaria and S&S are the first I would suggest for buying original parts. Avoid the Italian repro parts as they will not fit an original without a good amount of work. No matter what you do it will not be cheap. I would almost suggest talking to Dave at Lodgewood and seeing if you could give him what you have for some store credit towards a complete arm.

Back