Need Help on my Ball Carbine

plymouthairrifle

Corporal
I know this is a BIG reach but my Ball carbine is missing some parts. The magazine spring, magazine tube, cartridge follower, and rod are missing. I would have no trouble making the parts if I only had some photos and dimensions. There were 1,000 of these carbines produced so I hope one of the other 999 guys with a Ball has had one apart or would be willing to pull the forearm from his gun. I have posted some photos for everyone to enjoy.

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Photos of Ball Carbine
#34 overall, #35 action, #36 lock screw - locked, #37 lock screw - open, #38 notch for lock screw, #39 some barrel stamps, #40 frame, #41 stamp on stock, #42 stamp on stock, #43 latch, #44 flats on barrel, #46 forearm, #47 forearm

Doing a search and just found you post. Recently acquired a nice Ball Carbine. I have found a lot of photos and drawings but still can't determine how to remove the fore stock for fear of causing damage to the mag tube assembly or compression rod. I ordered a reprint of a 12 page manual dated 1866 that should arrive tomorrow, it may explain disassembly.

I have not seen this 12 page manual. Where did you order it from? My fore stock came off very easy. The photo above shows how the "screw" locks the front piece in place and the band came off easy. Of course my Ball is missing the parts inside the fore arm. Please let me know if you are able to take yours apart. I would really like to make mine complete. Thanks

Sorry, have had guests at the house for the last few days, busy barely time to check email. Received the manual yesterday from oldguns.net. Found it by chance on his listings through a google search. It is a reprint/copy and more of a promotional brochure dated 1866. Gives a good description of how it works, but no sketches of any parts. Does give a narrative on last page on how to take it down for cleaning, debating if I want to chance doing any damage. Here are some other sketches I found showing parts but no dimensions. Not sure how detailed they will be here, can't find any place to send a PM on this forum or email.

ball drawing 1.jpg

ball drawing 2.jpg

ball drawing 3.jpg

ball drawing 4.jpg

ball drawing 5.jpg

ball drawing.jpg

Doing a search and just found you post. Recently acquired a nice Ball Carbine. I have found a lot of photos and drawings but still can't determine how to remove the fore stock for fear of causing damage to the mag tube assembly or compression rod. I ordered a reprint of a 12 page manual dated 1866 that should arrive tomorrow, it may explain disassembly.
Welcome, enjoy

Thank you! I did not know about the book Breech Loading Carbines from the civil war Period by Pitman. The drawings are full scale so I will be able to make all the parts from the drawings and my rifle. After your post I found the complete book on Amazon. I also ordered the small Ball manual from Cornell. I plan to get dimensions and a good photo of the end of the compression rod the next time I see a Ball at a gun show. Thanks again. I will post photos as the project is worked on.

You are welcome. I can get you the dimensions of the compression rod, turns out it just unscrews from the compression slide and also is used as a cleaning rod according to the manual. Not sure of the thread size and pitch don't have a guide. I will take it to the hardware store tomorrow and check to see if it is a common thread.

Finally got to the hardware store with the rod to check thread, first couple of threads fit in a 8-32 but then stops so some different thread pitch. Also removed the forearm with mag tube, actually quite easy with the instructions. Here are some pics with measurement shown in pics.

SDC15123.JPG

SDC15125.JPG

SDC15127.JPG

SDC15129.JPG

SDC15130.JPG

SDC15131.JPG

SDC15132.JPG

SDC15133.JPG

SDC15135.JPG

SDC15137.JPG

SDC15139.JPG

SDC15140.JPG

SDC15141.JPG

SDC15142.JPG

SDC15143.JPG

SDC15144.JPG

SDC15145.JPG

SDC15147.JPG

SDC15148.JPG

SDC15149.JPG

SDC15150.JPG

SDC15151.JPG

SDC15154.JPG

SDC15155.JPG

SDC15156.JPG

Last edited:
Fantastic!!! I can not thank you enough! These photos will be a big help. I do have 2 questions. How far does the brass tube extend out of the fore arm into the receiver? How many rows are on the magazine rod grip? Thank you again.

Here are some more pics with measurements. Of course you can see there are three rows vertical and I count ten rows horizontally. Also the magazine tube is slightly chamfered (not flared) where it fits into the receiver.
I am very impressed after learning more about this rifle. It is very easy to take down for cleaning once you have the right instructions.

SDC15192.JPG

SDC15193.JPG

SDC15198.JPG

SDC15199.JPG

SDC15200.JPG

SDC15202.JPG

Back