Need Help Interpreting a Document

Sorry for the slow response. The anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg has kept me very busy.

The "Information Obtained From" columns typically represent some kind of register or roll in which the soldier's name, rank and regiment were identified. I've stopped trying to interpret them but I've seen "C.P. Md" or "C.P." (Camp Parole, MD), "B.B." (Benton Barracks, MO), "CCO" (Camp Chase, OH), "O. An" (Original Andersonville List) and others. I believe that "M. R." is Muster Roll and "OR Ex" is "Official Record of Exchange" but I can't say that for sure. I've never seen a master list of the abbreviations.

The "Clo." at the bottom is the date in which his clothing account was settled with the government. Here's an example where it is spelled out more completely.
View attachment 407256
Sweet! Thanks, @Bob Velke!

Oh, and...

Under "Records of," what does it say, and what do the abbreviations stand for? CYB?

It is C. G. B. which is College Green Barracks at St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland. It was a hospital and interim camp for released prisoners who usually then moved on to Camp Parole, about two miles away.

95913398_10158231751789294_8522452396557729792_n.jpg

Last edited:
Oh...

It is C. G. B. which is College Green Barracks at St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland. It was a hospital and interim camp for released prisoners who usually then moved on to Camp Parole, about two miles away.

View attachment 407257
That makes sense. I was just writing about the former prisoners who were killed in the Massachusetts/Black Diamond collision, and a lot of them had just been released from Saint John's Hospital/Camp Parole/Annapolis. Thanks for the visual!

>>The "Clo." at the bottom is the date in which his clothing account was settled with the government.<<
It is C. G. B. which is College Green Barracks at St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland.

"Clothing" and "College Green Barracks"! Thanks so much for helping solve some mysteries! This was originally Mary's question, but I often find myself scratching my head over old handwritten documents, so this was a good lesson for me.

Roy B.

Back