Need Help Identifying Signature--Union Officer

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XIX/2 [S# 28]
OCTOBER 16-17, 1862.--Reconnaissance from Harper's Ferry to Charlestown, W. Va, and skirmish en route.
No. 1.--Reports of Brig. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock, U. S. Army, commanding First Division, Second Army Corps.
CHARLESTOWN, October [17], 1862.
I have it from reliable authority, I think, that the enemy are in force at Winchester and Bunker Hill. My informant, a good Union man, certified to by Colonel Miles, a Northern man, says they are sending their wagons here every day and taking all the flour and wheat they can find in the country. They are destroying the railroad between here and Winchester. They were expected here to.day for the same purpose. He says there are from 800 to 1,000 cavalry about here and five guns. They have an encampment of cavalry of several regiments 3 miles from here, on the Berryville road. This gentleman says there is a very large force between Bunker Hill and Winchester, although he says he thinks they are "packing up," preparatory to a move. This gentleman says he is certain that the enemy were at Winchester yesterday.
Your obedient servant,
WINF'D S. HANCOCK,
Brigadier-General, Commanding Division.
Major WALKER.
P. S.--This gentleman is Mr. Riddle, brother-in-law to Colonel Strother (Porte Crayon).
-----

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XIX/2 [S# 28]
OCTOBER 16-17, 1862.--Reconnaissance from Harper's Ferry to Charlestown, W. Va, and skirmish en route.
No. 1.--Reports of Brig. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock, U. S. Army, commanding First Division, Second Army Corps.
HEADQUARTERS HANCOCK'S DIVISION,
Harper's Ferry, Va., October 22, 1862.
MAJOR: On the 16th instant in obedience to instructions, I marched toward Charlestown, Va., with my division and 1,500 men of other divisions, under command of Col. W. R. Lee, Twentieth Massachusetts Volunteers, and a force of cavalry, with a battery of four guns (horse artillery), Colonel Devin being in command thereof. The advance, under Maj. C. J. Whiting, Second Regiment Cavalry, consisting of portions of the First, Second, Fifth, and Sixth Regular Cavalry, with the horse artillery battery of four guns, under command of Lieut. George Dickenson, Fourth Regiment of Artillery, started at daylight, and was immediately followed by the command.
[excerpt]
I am, major, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
WINF'D S. HANCOCK,
Brigadier-General, Commanding Division.
Maj. FRANCIS A. WALKER,
Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Corps d' Armee.

Potential relative
-------------------------------

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIX/2 [S# 49]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating Specially To Operations In North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania, From August 4 To December 31, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#17
GENERAL ORDERS, No. 18.
HDQRS. DEPARTMENT OF WEST VIRGINIA,
Clarksburg, W. Va., November 3, 1863.
The following officers are announced as assigned to staff duty at these headquarters:
Capt. Thayer Melvin, assistant adjutant-general.
Col. D. H. Strother, Third [West.] Virginia Cavalry, acting assistant inspector-general.
Lieut. Col. J. B. Frothingham, additional aide-de-camp, U.S. Army, commissary of musters.
Capt. Robert Adams, jr., Twenty-third Illinois Infantry, acting judge-advocate.
Capt. A. V. Barringer, chief quartermaster.
Capt. William H. Hosack, chief commissary of subsistence.
First Lieut. J. R. Meigs, U.S. Army, chief engineer.
Lieut. Col. William H. Mussey, surgeon, medical inspector.
Maj. J. V. Z. Blaney, surgeon, medical director.
Capt. William J. Matthews, Thirteenth [West] Virginia Infantry, First Lieut. W. B. Kelley, First [West] Virginia Infantry, and First Lieut. C. A. Freeman, First [West] Virginia Infantry, aides-de-camp.
By order of Brigadier-General Kelley:
THAYER MELVIN,
Assistant Adjutant-General.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXIII [S# 60]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM JANUARY 1 TO APRIL 30, 1864.--#27
GENERAL ORDERS No. 19.
HDQRS. DEPT. OF WEST VIRGINIA,
Cumberland, Md., April 24, 1864.
II. The following changes and assignments of staff officers are announced:
Col. A. B. Jones, additional aide-de-camp, will perform the duties of assistant inspector-general of this department, his appointment to date from April 12, 1864.
Col. D. H. Strother, Third Virginia Cavalry, relieved by Colonel Jones as acting assistant inspector-general, is named as aide-de-camp, and will be assigned to special duty at these headquarters.
Maj. Franz Kappner, additional aide-de-camp, is assigned to special duty in the engineer department, under such instructions as he may at times receive from the general commanding; this to date from March 21, 1864.
Capt. J. B. Salisbury, commissary of subsistence, is appointed chief commissary of subsistence of this department, relieving Capt. W. H. Hosack, commissary of subsistence.
The general commanding the department tenders his sincere thanks to Captain Hosack for the efficient services rendered to the Government as chief commissary of the department.
By order of Major-General Sigel:
THAYER MELVIN,
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXVII/1 [S# 70]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, MAY 1 TO JUNE 30, 1864.(*)--#7
GENERAL ORDERS No. 31.
HDQRS. DEPT. OF WEST VIRGINIA,
In the Field, near Cedar Creek, May 24, 1864.
I. Col. D. H. Strother, Third West Virginia Cavalry, is hereby announced as chief of staff; Capt. H. A. Du Pont, Fifth U.S. Artillery, as chief of artillery; and Lieut. H. N. Harrison, Fourteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, as aide-de-camp, with the rank of captain, on the staff of the major-general commanding department. These officers will be respected and obeyed accordingly.
II. Maj. Henry Roessle, Fifteenth New York Cavalry, having grossly neglected his duty while in command of pickets, resulting in the capture of 11 men and 45 horses, is hereby dishonorably dismissed the service of the United States from this date, subject to the approval of His Excellency the President.(*)
III. It has been reported to the commanding general that Capt. Michael Auer, Company A. Fifteenth New York Cavalry, dismissed yesterday for the same offense, behaved bravely when aroused, and exerted himself to rally his surprised pickets. Personal bravery is indispensable in a good soldier, but cannot be urged as an excuse for gross neglect of a vital duty, thus endangering the lives of thousands of our follow-soldiers and the welfare of the country. Picket and outpost duty must be attended to with the greatest strictness. Careless and inefficient officers must give way to trustworthy privates.
By command of Major-General Hunter:
CHAS. G. HALPINE,
-------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXVII/1 [S# 70]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, MAY 1 TO JUNE 30, 1864.(*)--#11
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF WEST VIRGINIA,
Lexington, Va., June 12, 1864.
Brigadier-General AVERELL:
GENERAL: You will move your command to-morrow morning at 2 a.m. on the direct road to Buchanan, and, moving as rapidly as possible, you will endeavor to get possession of the bridge over the James River at that place, so as to hold it and prevent its destruction by the enemy. You will at the same time obtain all the information that can be had in regard to the roads and fords on the river. On your march you will send back couriers from time to time with information to the commanding general, who will follow on the same road with the main body of the army.
By order of Major-General Hunter:
D. H. STROTHER,
Colonel and Chief of Staff.

-----
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF WEST VIRGINIA,
Lexington, June 12, 1864.
Brigadier-General AVERELL:
GENERAL: The general commanding directs that you send a party to destroy Buena vista Furnace, some five miles distant, on the White's Gap road. This should be done this afternoon, using such force to accomplish it as you may think necessary.
Very respectfully, yours,
D. H. STROTHER,
Colonel and Chief of Staff.

-----
M. E. Wolf

Post Script: Ms. Walker, let me know more about "Mr. Riddle" if you may. There are several.

Indiana connection would be this "Riddle."

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIV/2 [S# 37]
MAY 16, 1863.--Battle of Champion's Hill, or Baker's Creek, Miss.
No. 3.--Report of Col. James Keigwin, Forty-ninth Indiana Infantry, First Brigade, including engagement at Big Black River Bridge.
IN THE FIELD, May 18, 1863.
SIR: I have the honor to submit the following as a report of the part taken by the Forty-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry in the engagements with the enemy on the 16th instant at Champion's Hill and at Big Black Bridge on the 17th instant:
[excerpt]
My men during the day fought bravely, and I cannot speak in too high terms of the gallant bearing of both officers and men. I only had seven companies engaged in the fight, and they were small, numbering only 260 men. The other three were detailed in the morning to support one section of Captain Lanphere's battery. Major Hawhe and Adjutant Riddle deserve great credit for their cool and efficient aid rendered me during the day. And my line officers were ever in their places, urging their men to do their duty.
[excerpt]
JAMES KEIGWIN,
Colonel, Commanding.
W. A. JORDAN,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.
--------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIV/2 [S# 37]
MAY 19-JULY 4, 1863.--The Siege of Vicksburg, Miss.
No. 2.--Return of Casualties in the Union forces engaged at Vicksburg, May 19, 1863.
OFFICERS DIED OF WOUNDS.
ILLINOIS.
Capt. John S. Riddle, 127th Infantry.
------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXVI/1 [S# 41]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In West Florida, South Alabama, South Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, And New Mexico, From May 14 To December 31, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#10
FIRST DIVISION.
Brig. Gen. WILLIAM P. BENTON.
Third Brigade.
Col. THOMAS W. BENNETT.
118th Illinois, Capt. Arthur W. Marsh.
49th Indiana, Lieut. George W. Riddle.
69th Indiana, Capt. Robert K. Collins.
7th Kentucky, Col. Reuben May.
120th Ohio, Maj. Willard Slocum.
7th Michigan Battery, Capt. Charles H. Lanphere.
--------------
M. E. Wolf

Will Posey and Ole, sirs;

Thank you for the compliments.

Having two independent signatures of Ekin's, was a blessing to confirm my calligraphy knowledge.

Ekin's signature would probably be worth some money and should be insured, kept in an acid-free protective cover (can get them at photo shops).

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf
[[Will check back for anything to grab for the next search ...Riddle and or a fuller information about Walker]]

Will Posey, sir;

I am a "calligrapher" to which most European style of writing can lead to a round-about time frame of age for the writer. The writer Ekin was right handed, the birthday confirmed he would have written that way like most men of his day, in the Copperplate/Engrosser script. This would match up his skill as a builder in which "flourishing" plans would come into play in making drawings of buildings or ships.

The light motion of the flourished/embellished "E" is an educated man's handwriting, they had classes for hours on writing neatly and such for professionals. Something a businessman would embellish for plain drawings creating a signature style.

Search for James A. E[with four letters] and popped Ekins up quickly; confirmed by AOL search for Colonel James A. Ekin and Brevet Brig. Gen. James A. Ekin; gave me the two counter comparison signatures. Enough for me to confirm in Court Handwriting Analysis to be genuine signature of the Colonel/Brig. General.

My law enforcement experience has a collateral effect as far as digging. I also do try to make it so it would stand up as far as evidence goes. Cross-check, double check, creating an arch connection of possibilities.

With this particular case, I am seeing the arch connect with horses, and names connecting.

Hope this hasn't confused you too much sir.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

John Brisben Walker and David Hunter Strother

This conversation has led me to look up a bit of my own family history to make sure that I have my story right.

My original query was to find the writer of a letter that recommended “John B. Walker” to Abraham Lincoln. M.E. Wolf very capably identified this letter writer as James A. Ekin.

John B. Walker was my great-grandfather John Brisben Walker. In the Spring following Ekin’s letter of November 1864, and maybe after meeting with Lincoln, John Brisben Walker applied to and was accepted to West Point. A copy of Ekin’s letter was sent to me when I requested a copy of John Brisben’s application to West Point (I wish I did have the original).

John Brisben, however, was not intended to be a soldier. He was at West Point from 1865 to 1868, was court-martialed for leaving guard duty in 1866, and resigned in 1868 to accompany a diplomatic trip to China. Although not a soldier, he did pretty well later in various businesses http://historicredrocks.org/Walker05-fin.PDF

When I researched a bit about Ekin, I was surprised to learn that he served on a commission with David Hunter following Lincoln’s assassination. My great-great-grandfather was David Hunter Strother (Porte Crayon http://books.google.com/books?id=TArdeP3OnRkC&pg=PR19&lpg=PR19&dq=David+Hunter+Strother+john+brown&source=bl&ots=2836o2fWug&sig=EC8j5j5T-cXikErqzzAdLLv0i1w&hl=en&ei=wC65S4PDLpCusgPBoZTpDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CB0Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=David%20Hunter%20Strother%20john%20brown&f=false ) who, at one point during the war, reported to David Hunter—a cousin I believe. John Brisben Walker married David Hunter Strother’s daughter Emily during the 1870s.

Other than David Hunter Strother, the only other Walker relative that I know fought in the war was John Brisben Walker’s uncle Robert C. Walker from Elizabeth PA (I believe that the “C” may stand for Craighead). Robert C. Walker reached the rank of Major during the war and continued with the military afterward eventually living in Minnesota and Montana. Robert C. Walker was married to Elizabeth Blaine the sister of Hon. James G. Blaine.

I may be following the thread incorrectly, but I don’t know of a relationship to H.W. Strother, though there may very well be one. I am also not familiar with the Mr. Riddle mentioned in the postings. If someone can give me information on the relationship between D. H. Strother and Mr. Riddle, I would appreciate it.

Join the ranks of the really thoroughly confused, nwalker. But somebody knows.

Ole

Blaine:

O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME I [S# 122]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM NOVEMBER 1, 1860, TO MARCH 31, 1862.(*)--#37
RESOLVE relating to coast and frontier defenses in Maine.
Resolved, That Congress be requested to take immediate measures to fortify and defend the harbor and city of Portland and some point or place in the northeastern portion of the State, to be selected by such engineers as the Federal Government may appoint for the purpose, and also such other places on the coast and frontier of Maine as may be judged necessary by said engineers, and to provide for military connections between said points or places if such engineers shall adjudge them practicable and necessary for purposes of a general defense; also that Congress provide for floating defenses for the coast of Maine, under the provisions of an act passed February 12, 1862, entitled "An act to authorize a loan of money to the United States for the public defense, to be reimbursed in bonds of the United States."
Resolved, That our Senators and Representatives in Congress be instructed to use their influence to accomplish the objects of the foregoing resolve, and that a copy of these resolves be forwarded to them by the Governor.
In the House of Representatives, March 10, 1862, read and passed.
J. G. BLAINE,
Speaker.
In Senate, March 10, 1862, read and passed.
J. H. GOODENOW,
President.
March 10, 1862, approved.
ISRAEL WASHBURN, JR.
------------------------------
O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME IV [S# 125]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM JANUARY 1, 1864, TO APRIL 30, 1865.(*)--#30

PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN OF 1864,
UNION EXECUTIVE CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE,
Committee Rooms, Washington, D. C., September 23, 1864.
Hon. E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:
DEAR SIR: I have the honor to inclose you herewith a letter just received from the Hon. James G. Blaine, of Maine. I need hardly say that I fully concur in the suggestions of Mr. Blaine.
Very truly, yours,
E. B. WASHBURNE.
[Inclosure.]
AUGUSTA, September 20, 1864.
Hon. E. B. WASHBURNE:
MY DEAR SIR: The dreaded draft is now going on all over the country and I'm glad of it. Like the old ladies' tea party, "It will be good to have it over with." There is one feature, however, connected with the present mode of conducting the draft that ought to be changed, and changed very promptly, i.e., the very slow rate of the process. By the orders of Provost-Marshal-General Fry the enrolling boards are only drawing enough names to furnish an average of 120 per day for examination. The result is that the draft is a "lengthened agony long drawn out," and each Congressional district is kept in a ferment for weeks, when the whole thing could be finished up in three days. I mean the drafting proper in three days, with the surgical examinations spread over as many days as may be required for conducting :hem. As each town or sub-district is drafted the notifications can specify the day in the future on which the conscripts shall report, and in this way secure the proper average for each day. The point I wish to make is this, that as soon as a town is drafted those that are not hit feel such a sensation of relief that they are prepared to enter upon political campaigning with redoubled zeal, while so long as the draft is impending it engrosses the attention of all to such a degree that nothing can be done in the way of organizing for the political campaign. If it goes on in the slow process it will about ruin us in the October elections of Pennsylvania and Ohio, whereas if the quick process were adopted, we should have fifteen or eighteen unembarrassed days for marshaling our political forces in those States and would close with a "blaze of glory and a big victory," settling conclusively the Presidential struggle. I wish you would see the Secretary of War on this point. I know it is one of vast importance and the necessary correction cannot be made too speedily. In haste.
Yours, truly,
J. G. BLAINE.
P. S.--The beneficial advantages of the present mode in giving prolonged time for filling quotas by volunteering need not be abridged, because the same privilege can be accorded to towns and sub-districts up to the date of examination of the drafted men or as late as it is now.
J. G. B.
-----
O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME IV [S# 125]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM JANUARY 1, 1864, TO APRIL 30, 1865.(*)--#30
WAR DEPT., PROVOST-MARSHAL-GENERAL'S OFFICE,
Washington, D.C., September 26, 1864.
Hon. E. B. WASHBURNE,
Washington, D.C.:
SIR: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt this day of your letter of the 25th instant, inclosing one addressed to you by Hon. J. G. Blaine, saying that there is one feature connected with the present mode of conducting the draft that ought to be changed, and changed promptly, i.e., the very slow rate of the process. By the orders of General Fry, the enrolling boards are only drawing enough names to furnish an average of 120 per day for examinations, &c.

Mr. Blaine has not stated correctly my orders on this point. I do not order that boards only draw enough names to furnish an average of 120 per day. I require that such number of drafted shall be notified as will secure an average of 120 per day. (See copy of my instructions herewith, paragraph marked in blue.) So far as I know, there are no boards practicing what Mr. Blaine calls the "slow process." On the contrary, the general practice is to make the draft about as Mr. Blaine suggests that it should be made; the number drawn at a time, when limited at all, being so limited only by the ability of the provost-marshal to serve the notice on each man within ten days, as required by law. I tried, without success, to get Congress to extend this time for serving notices, as the law in many instances cannot be complied with, especially in districts infested by guerrillas, as in Missouri and Kentucky.

I appreciate the point Mr. Blaine makes, and to be sure will send out additional instructions by telegraph.

I have the honor to be, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
JAS. B. FRY,
Provost-Marshal- General.
---------------------------------------------------
If you do not have a link to your family's roots to Mr. Riddle, that Brig. General Winfield Scott Hancock mentioned as being an 'in-law' to Strother, then I can't follow forward. However it is General Hancock that makes the comment of the relationship.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a Missouri connection to a Strother:
Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume II
Chapter IX.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Upper Extremities.
Wounds And Operations In The Forearm.
69 Duty, L. E., Corp'l, E, 30th Missouri. June 9, 9, '63. Left; flap; by Surg. C. C. Strother. 31st Mo. Dis'd Sept. 21, '63; pen'd.

Wounds And Operations In The Forearm.
669 Coiner, D., Corp'l, B, 25th Ohio. July 3, 3, '63. Left; by Surg. C. G. Strother, 31st Mo. Disch'd Aug. 2, '63; pens'd.

Section IV.--Injuries Of The Shaft Of The Humerus.
631 Mueller, P., Pt., K, 30th Missouri, age 19. May 19, 19, '63. Right; by Surg. C. G. Strother, 31st Mo. Disch'd Feb. 27, '64.

Surgeon C. G. Strother of the 31st Missouri Regiment.
Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 3 (Regimental Histories)
MISSOURI VOLUNTEERS.
31st REGIMENT INFANTRY.
Organized at St. Louis, Carondelet and Ironton, Me., August 11 to October 7, 1862. Attached to Cape Girardeau, District of Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, to December, 1862. 1st Brigade, 11th Division, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, December, 1862. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition, to January, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to December, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to April, 1864. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 15th Army Corps, to September, 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, to November, 1864.

SERVICE.--March to Patterson, Mo., October 21, 1862, and duty there till November 24. March to St. Genevieve, Mo., November 24, thence moved to Helena, Ark., December 1. Sherman's Yazoo Expedition December 22, 1862, to January 3, 1863. Chickasaw Bayou December 26-28. Chickasaw Bluff December 29. Expedition to Arkansas Post, Ark., January 3-10, 1863. Assault and capture of Fort Hindman, Arkansas Post, January 10-11. Moved to Young's Point, La., January 17-23, and duty there till March, and at Milliken's Bend till April. Expedition to Greenville, Black Bayou and Deer Creek April 2-14. Demonstrations on Haines' and Drumgould's Bluffs April 29-May 2. Moved to join army in rear of Vicksburg. Miss., via Richmond and Grand Gulf May 2-14. Mississippi Springs May 12. Jackson, Miss., May 14. Siege of Vicksburg May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Bolton's Depot July 16. Briar Creek, near Canton, July 17. Canton July 18. At Big Black to September 27. Moved to Memphis, Tenn.; thence march to Chattanooga, Tenn., September 27-November 21. Operations on Memphis & Charleston Railroad in Alabama October 20-29. Cherokee Station October 21 and 29. Cane Creek October 26. Tuscumbia October 26-27. Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27. Battles of Lookout Mountain November 23-24. Mission Ridge November 25. Ringgold Gap, Taylor's Ridge, November 27. Garrison duty in Alabama till May, 1864. Clayton, Ala., March 14, 1864. Atlanta Campaign May 1-September 8. Demonstrations on Resaca May 8-13. Battle of Resaca May 13-15. Advance on Dallas May 18-25. Battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Bushy Mountain June 15-17. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Chattahoochie River July 6-17. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Ezra Chapel, Hood's 2nd Sortie, July 28. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Operations in North Georgia and North Alabama against Hood September 29-November 3. Ship's Gap, Taylor's Ridge, October 16. Consolidated with 32nd Missouri Infantry November 12, 1864, as Consolidated Battalion 31st and 32nd Missouri Infantry. March to the sea November 15-December 10. Clinton November 23. Statesboro December 4. Ogeechee River December 7-9. Siege of Savannah December 10-21. Campaign of the Carolinas January-April, 1865. Reconnoissance to Salkehatchie River January 25. Hickory Hill February 1. Salkehatchie Swamps, S.C., February 2-5. South Edisto River February 9. North Edisto River February 12-13. Columbia February 15-17. Lynch's Creek February 25-26. Battle of Bentonville, N. C., March 20-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 24. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnson and his army. March to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 20. Grand Review May 24. Moved to Louisville June. Battalion mustered out July 18, 1865.
Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 51 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 228 Enlisted men by disease. Total 283.

continued

Walkers with officer's rank:

Walker, Aldace F., LTC 1st VT H Arty
Walker, August C., Surg. 18th NY Cav
Walker, Charles, Maj. 10th ME Infy
Walker, Charles A., Capt. 165th NY Infy
Walker, Charles B., 1st Lt. RQM 33rd MA Infy
Walker, Charles H., 1st Lt. 45th MA Infy
Walker, Edward A., Commander USN
Walker, Edwin P., Capt. 89th IL Infy BvtMaj
Walker, Francis A., LTC AAG BvtBG USV
Walker, George J., 1st Lt. 9th WVA Infy
Walker, George M., Capt. 33rd MA Infy
Walker, George M., 2nd Lt. 11th KS Infy
Walker, George S., Surg. 6th MO Infy
Walker, Ivan N., Col. 73rd IN Infy
Walker, James, Capt. 15th ME Infy
Walker, John, 1st Lt. 132nd NY Infy
Walker, John C., 1st Lt. 63rd USCT
Walker, John G., R Adm. USN
Walker, John H., BvtMaj USA
Walker, Leicester, Capt. USA
Walker, Peleg R., 1st Lt. 92nd IL Infy
Walker, Richard L., Capt. 19th OH Infy
Walker, Robert C., Maj. Paymaster USA
Walker, Robert W., 2nd Lt. 34th MA Infy
Walker, Thomas McC., Col. 111th PA Infy BvtBG
Walker, William D., Act Asst. Paymaster USN
Walker, William J., 1st Lt. 165th NY Infy
Walker, William R., 1st Lt. 1st RI Infy
Walker, William T., 3rd Class
===========================================================
Colonel David H. Strother, 3rd W. Virginia Cav
Colonel David H. Strother, 3rd W. Virginia Cav. Here for your browsing pleasure is an ... Civil War Officers in Camp · Captain French Forrest, C.S.N. ...

www.old-picture.com/civil-war/Strother-Virginia-Colon... - Similar
3rd West Virginia Cavalry - West Virginia in the Civil War
Strother, David H.; A Virginia Yankee in the Civil War: The Diaries of David Hunter Strother. [Ed by Cecil D. Eby, Jr.] Chapel Hill, NC: UNC Pr, 1961. ...

www.wvcivilwar.com/3rdcav.shtml - Similar
Genealogy: West Virginia Authors
... widely known literary men of the United States was David H. Strother. ... He served in the Federal army during the Civil War and arose to the rank of ...

geneasearch.com/genealogy/wvauthors.htm - Similar
Jamestown Revisited : The Colonial Williamsburg Official ...
—David H. Strother, May 12, 1857 .... In the years before the Civil War he used his Harper's Weekly platform to take every opportunity to portray slaves as ...

history.org/foundation/journal/Spring04/jamestown.cfm - Similar
David Hunter Strother
A Virginia Yankee in the Civil War, The Diaries of David Hunter Strother, University of North ... David H. Strother... Porte Crayon, Pioneer in History . ...

www.wvculture.org/history/notewv/crayon.html - Similar

CivilWarPortraits.com About the Artist
I decided to merge that with my passion for history and the Civil War. ... After further researching David H. Strother along with my family history I've ...

civilwarportraits.com/about.html - Similar
The Civil War and Reconstruction, Uncovering the Past: ...
BARNES & NOBLE - Find The Civil War and Reconstruction by Stanley Harrold. Enjoy book clubs, author videos ... Battle of Antietam, 1862 David H. Strother 87 ...

search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Civil-War-and-Reconstru... - Similar
Photographic History of the Civil War - 1912
Photographic History of the Civil War in Ten Volumes - 1912 ..... John C. Starkweather, Halbert E. Paine, Rufus King, David H. Strother, Thomas M. Harris, ...

gen-als.com/civwar10.html - Similar
Gaines George Strother: Free Encyclopedia Articles at ...
Journal article by Ethan S. Rafuse; Civil War History, Vol. 54, 2008 ... Story, 609; David H. Strother, "Personal Recollections...vol. 19, l:471-72; ...

www.questia.com/library/encyclopedia/gaines-george-strothe... - Similar
"PORTE CRAYON" ARTICLES THAT MENTION THE ROY FAMILY
"Porte Crayon" was the pen name of David H. Strother (1816-1888). .... the best- known graphic artist in the United States at the time of the Civil War. ...

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wvpendle/portecrayon.htm - Similar

Mr. Wolf,

Thank you for the clarification about who connected Mr. Riddle to David Hunter Strother, I will go back to my family information to see what I can find out. Thanks too for the info on Blaine and Robert C. Walker.

NWalker

N. Walker, ma'am;

Would you please humor me, by lifting up the paper the Ekin's signature is on, and see if there is a 'watermark' within the paper? Held up with light behind it, will manifest a lot of information.

Just from the copy, it is cotton/rag paper, as one can see lines running east to west. This comes from being pressed and laid on wire racks.

Crane Company Stationary still 'watermarks' their 100% cotton stationary notes and sheets.

No worries if no watermark is found. Often they would come in huge sheets to be cut into note, order and or letter/document paper. The watermark if "US Government" will be a bonus finding.

The document minus Ekin's signature, is written with a 'running hand,' which is a very loaded with ink dip pen and no lifts in any of the letters from what I can see. Definately not a quill but, a steel nib. The writer was also right handed (most left handed writers were forced into writing right handed). The "Q" is in the old style of writing it as to look like a "2." As handwriting progressed it was too often confused with the #2 and alternatives were the "Q" known on the keyboard.

The U.S Quarter-Master General's headquarters was located at 17th & F. Street, NW on the Northeast corner of that intersection, called the "Winder Building." Built by General Winder after the War of 1812, roughly around 1814; it was the first high rise of Washington. It had five floors, the first use of steam to create central heating and it was a good size mansion, supported by iron beams, ample to hold the weight of supplies. This building was vacated by the General's heirs and relatives; one being General Charles Sidney Winder of the Confederate States of American Army.
[Note: The Executive Mansion built with wooden beams survived until the Truman Administration when the weight finally took its toll and gutted, replaced by steel beams and reassembled. Winder Building was ahead of its time.]

Several buildings had to be rented by the Quarter-Master General's Office, et.al., as they ran out of space but, they were not all that distant from the main headquarters in the Winder Building, which also served as a signal station for the Union on top of the roof.

Major Walker, assigned as "Pay Master," may have likely served under the "Pay-Master General," to whom would have headquartered near the U.S. Treasury building or in it. I have yet to find a specific address however it is mentioned in the Official Records of the Rebellion this:
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/3 [S# 45]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, And Department Of The East, From June 3 To August 3, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE. ETC.--#4
GENERAL ORDERS No. 62.
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
Camp near Falmouth, Va., June 12, 1863.
I. The lax enforcement within this army of certain orders deemed absolutely necessary to keep it in a proper state of efficiency, and their consequent non-observance, has been brought to the notice of the general commanding. It is not by multiplying and reiterating orders that this evil is to be corrected, but by a knowledge on the part of all officers of existing orders, and a determination to carry out their requirements not only within their own commands, but, as far as may be, within the sphere of their influence.
[excerpt]
5. Corps and other commanders are required to see that enlisted men are not detached as waiters or servants under any other circumstances than those provided in paragraph 124, Revised Army Regulations, and will strictly enforce paragraphs 125 and 126. When contrabands and others not enlisted can be procured for the service, the use of enlisted men should not be permitted, even by company officers. The services of all soldiers are required in the ranks. Corps and other commanders will require captains of companies who may have any men absent on such duty, to report in writing to the inspector-general of the army, through proper channels, the name and rank of every officer having such soldier in his service, with the name of the regiment and company of the soldier so employed. The inspector-general will send duplicates of such reports to the Pay-master-General and Second Auditor of the Treasury, and report the facts to the commanding general.
[excerpt]
II. This order will be read at the head of each company, battery, and detachment in this army.
By command of Major-General Hooker:
S. WILLIAMS,
-----
The U.S. Treasury building, which still stands in the original footprints of the two previous buildings burnt by fire; is the third building. Holding the offices of the Auditors of the U.S. Treasury. The building sits next to the Executive Mansion/White House. On the opposite side would be the War Department on 17th Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and E. Street, NW; sat next to the Navy Department.

At these times during the Civil War, these individuals would have been within several blocks of one another. Major Walker, Colonel Ekin, Colonel Strother would have been crossing paths frequently; Pay Master General, Cavalry mounts through the Quarter-Master General's Office and as General Staff Officers for Generals in the Field.

For the West Point papers, I would check with the National Archives first, through a research by relative vein. They may have a means to copy their portion of the paperwork, including discharge papers.

In researching Strother, I noted the "diary" of David Hunter Strother seems to be in custody of others. Perhaps in these diaries, a mention of Mr. Riddle and how he was related to him as a brother-in-law, will give a clear connection. I highly doubt then Brig. General Winfield Scott Hancock would have made these facts up nor lead to which individual he was referring to -- as to add the 'pen name/non-de-plume' of David Hunter Strother.

I would be open to the possibility that there might be a Confederate link to the families.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

Mr. Wolf,

Thanks again for your research, it has been fun for me to learn so much. The document that I have from Ekin is a scanned copy. I looked at it as closely as I could on my computer, but unfortunately didn't recognize anything that looked like a watermark or fiber strands.

I will talk with more of my family and read through more of our family notes to see if I can find more detail. I am very curious to see if we can discover more about Hancock's comment about Riddle. If it turns out that there are Confederate members of the family, it would be news to me, but probably not all that surprising given their location in Virginia.

Thanks too for the detail about the location of the various offices. It is hard for me to imagine the time, place, and population, but intriguing that these folks might have crossed paths during the war.

Thanks again for your time and interest,

NWalker

Back