Need Help Identifying Signature--Union Officer

nwalker

Cadet
I recently came across a letter from the gentleman (signature clip) in the attached file on stationary from the Quarter Master General's office dated Washington DC November 17, 1864.

I can't read the signature clearly and I don't know enough Civil War history to come up with a plausible guess about who it might be. It looks like it reads something similar to James A. ?? Col in Charge, First Division ??VMGO? Based on the rest of the letter, it sounds as if he originally may have come from Western Pennsylvania.

If anyone on the list recognizes the name or signature or has suggestions about how I might identify this gentleman, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

• Unknown Signatur&#10.JPG
    Unknown Signatur&#10.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 257
Looks like "Blu" something. Could be a "c" or a "d," but those would be very uncommon names.

Looks to me like Plur, COl in charge 1st Division Quartermaster general office.

Was it a receipt or a request for some sort of supplies? Divisions were also terms used as sub-sections of a military department. Was tere a District of western PA?

Thanks for your ideas.

The document itself was actually a letter to President Lincoln from this James fellow requesting an audience for a "young friend" of his. This young friend was my great-grandfather. I am hoping to identify the writer to see if I can figure out whether this meeting ever took place (family stories indicate that it did take place). I am assuming that this James must have had some notoriety or clout in that he could write Lincoln personally to ask a favor.

If you have any other ideas about how I might research my question, I would appreciate those suggestions as well.

Early in the war, there was a Western Pennsylvania Division which encompased West Virginia and much of Ohio, but that Division changed in December, 1861. And I always get confused as to which was a subsection of what. I think District was the smaller one, but I can't be certain without more looking. Department would have been the larger with Division encompassing all of them.

Thanks for your ideas.

The document itself was actually a letter to President Lincoln from this James fellow requesting an audience for a "young friend" of his. This young friend was my great-grandfather. I am hoping to identify the writer to see if I can figure out whether this meeting ever took place (family stories indicate that it did take place). I am assuming that this James must have had some notoriety or clout in that he could write Lincoln personally to ask a favor.

If you have any other ideas about how I might research my question, I would appreciate those suggestions as well.

In those days, soldiers on leave, especially, or just passers-by could just stroll into the White House and have a chat with the president. This COL did not need a heck of a lot of clout, beyond his rank, to give his request some weight.

Thanks again for your help, it is amazing to me to learn that it didn't take all that much during that time to stop in and talk with Lincoln. Very interesting!

The letterhead at the top of the letter says "Quartermaster General's Office Washington DC" so I had the impression that James A was in DC, rather than Pennsylvania.

However in the letter he says that (of my great-grandfather) "he is a most deserving young man and resides in my neighborhood in Pennsylvania." My great-grandfather was from Elizabeth PA, outside of Pittsburgh, in the 22nd congressional distict.

Would either of these details help me to identify James A's last name?

Thanks again for your help, it is amazing to me to learn that it didn't take all that much during that time to stop in and talk with Lincoln. Very interesting!

The letterhead at the top of the letter says "Quartermaster General's Office Washington DC" so I had the impression that James A was in DC, rather than Pennsylvania.

However in the letter he says that (of my great-grandfather) "he is a most deserving young man and resides in my neighborhood in Pennsylvania." My great-grandfather was from Elizabeth PA, outside of Pittsburgh, in the 22nd congressional distict.

Would either of these details help me to identify James A's last name?

Yes, this tells us that this fellow was a COL in Montgomery Meigs office in Washington who happened to be from PA. What is the date of the letter? With that there may be a list of the QM staff. As a COL , James ? was likely to be a department head.

Yes, this tells us that this fellow was a COL in Montgomery Meigs office in Washington who happened to be from PA. What is the date of the letter? With that there may be a list of the QM staff. As a COL , James ? was likely to be a department head.

Here is a photograph of staff members of the QMG staff on the steps of their HQ. Could James be one of these guys?
http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/images/405.jpg

The last part is not VMGO, it's QMGO - Quarter Master General's Office.

The last name looks like "Blum" to me.

Since he was the "COL in charge" of the 1st Division in the QMGO here is what they did:
History: First Division (Public Animals) and Fifth Division (Regular Supplies) established by General Order 62, OQMG, December 23, 1864, implementing a QMD reorganization act (13 Stat. 394), July 4, 1864. Respectively acquired responsibilities, previously assigned to individual staff officers, for procuring and distributing horses and draft animals; and forage, fuel, and miscellaneous cantonment supplies. Consolidated, and designated Regular Supplies Branch, "

Thanks again, you have all been lot's of help. The date of the letter is November 17, 1864.

At that time my great-grandfather was studying at Georgetown. I've read that part of the campus had been taken over for military purposes during the war, I wonder if that is how the two met?

Dear N. Walker;

The signature is that of Colonel James A. Ekin.

His signature can be matched with his photo at this link:

http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p0409&CISOPTR=45&CISOBOX=1&REC=12

He would become a Brevet Brig. General.

http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/p0409&CISOPTR=31&REC=9
(signature of Ekin's at the Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy Trial)

Ekin, James Adams b. August 31, 1819 d. March 27, 1891
Civil War Union Brevet Brigadier General. A builder of ships and steamboats prior to the Civil War he entered service as 1st Lieutenant and regimental quartermaster of the 12th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He reached the rank of Colonel in the Quartermaster Department holding various posts including that of Chief Quartermaster of the Cavalry Corps of the Army of the Potomac. He received the brevet of Brigadier General, US Volunteers on March 8, 1865. On March 13, 1865 he was brevetted...[Read More] (Bio by: Steve Dunn)
Cave Hill Cemetery, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, USA
Plot: National Cemetery, Section B, Row 3, Lot 1

Reference:
O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME V [S# 126]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM MAY 1, 1865, TO THE END.(*)--#10
MILITARY ORGANIZATION OF EMPLOYÉS OF THE QUARTERMASTER'S DEPARTMENT.
In the last annual report of this office I had the honor to report the services rendered in the field, as soldiers, at Nashville, at Johnsonville, and at Washington City, by the Quartermaster's Volunteers, a military organization under your sanction, of the clerks, agents, and operatives of the Quartermaster's Department at the principal depots. Since that report was written the Quartermaster's Volunteers at Nashville, under the command of Bvt. Brig. Gen. J. L. Donaldson, have again had the opportunity to render important service. Two brigades of these troops, 4,500 strong, were assigned a position in the operations of the 15th and 16th of December, 1864, the days of the decisive battle of Nashville, and so conducted themselves as to merit and receive the approval of their commanders.
[excerpt of a very lengthy quarter-master general report]
In closing this report I cannot but express to the Quartermaster-General my high appreciation of the uniform kindness and courtesy he has extended toward me in the discharge of my official duties, and I feel grateful to that Providence who chooses the bounds of our habitations for having assigned me, during the prevalence of the great slaveholders' rebellion, to a department of mammoth proportions and of great responsibility, under the guidance and direction of an officer of distinguished ability, with whom I have had such delightful personal and official intercourse.
I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
JAMES A. EKIN,
Bvt. Brig. Gen., in Charge First Division, Q. M. G. O.

No. 3.
Statement of claims (regular and miscellaneous) filed in the First Division of the Quartermaster-General's Office during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1865, ana from July 1, 1865, to October 20, 1865, showing the number paid, referred, and recommended for settlement, the number rejected and suspended, and the number not acted on, with their respective amounts.

N Number. C Paid, referred, and recommended for settlement.
A Amount. D Rejected and suspended.
B Claims filed. E Not acted on.

-------------B----------- ------------C---------- -----------D---------- -------------E-----------
Date. N A N A N A N A
From July 1, 1864, to Dec. 31, 1864. 800 $248,472.60 694 $211,150.60 79 $15,272.00 27 $22,050.00
From Jan. 1, 1865, to June 30, 1865. 3,374 1,097,100.00 981 356,750.00 1,038 211,231.00 1,355 529,119.00
Total during the fiscal year 4,174 1,345,572.60 1,675 567,900.60 1,117 226,503.00 1,382 551,169.00

From July l, 1865, to Oct. 20, 1865. 3,781 1,357,486.00 210 74,514.00 31 11,047.00 3,540 1,271,925.00
Total 7,955 2,703,058.60 1,885 642,414.60 1,148 237,550.00 4,922 1,823,094.00

Many claims entered in the column of "rejected and suspended" have been rejected for want of evidence or accountability for the property, and may come before the department again; hence the impossibility of discriminating between "rejected" and "suspended."
Many of the claims entered in the column of "not acted on" are under investigation.
Respectfully submitted.
JAMES A. EKIN,
Bvt. Brig. Gen., in Charge First Division, Q. M. G. O.

Shows Bvt. Brig. General (Colonel non brevet) in charge on or about November 1964

The pass was written in another person's handwriting however the signature is that of James A. Ekin. The Post surrounded with the light swirls to create the "E" old fashioned "k" and the flourish 'n' to match and balance with the "E" flourish.

Congratulations on holding a piece of history - both in the world of Calligraphy and in Civil War history.

Respectfully submitted,
M. E. Wolf
-----------------------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XX/2 [S# 30]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating Specially To Operations In Kentucky, Middle And East Tennessee, North Alabama, And Southwest Virginia From November 1, 1862, To January 20, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#14
QUARTERMASTER-GENERAL'S OFFICE
January 2, 1863.
Respectfully referred to the Secretary of War.
The Quartermaster. General has no authority to provide horses for mounting infantry. If mounted by authority of the War Department, it is presumed these troops would be transformed into cavalry. If authorized by the Secretary of War, the horses will be procured in the way pointed out by law and regulations, by public advertisement and contract with the lowest bidder. At Indianapolis contracts were thus made in November last, by Capt. J. A. Ekin, assistant quartermaster, who has provided a large number of horses. The prices were, for cavalry horses, $96.25 and $96.75, and for artillery horses, $99. The bids fix the prices, and the specifications, if properly enforced, are sufficient, and the Quartermaster-General cannot recommend an increase of the price above that at which responsible parties offer to furnish the horses.
M. C. MEIGS,
Quartermaster-General
QUARTERMASTER-GENERAL'S OFFICE,
---------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XX/2 [S# 30]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating Specially To Operations In Kentucky, Middle And East Tennessee, North Alabama, And Southwest Virginia From November 1, 1862, To January 20, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#14
WAR DEPARTMENT,
Washington, D.C., January 15, 1863--1.25 p.m.
General ROSECRANS, Murfreesborough:
It will take some time to get 8,000 horses, unless you can seize them in the field of your operations. There are 1,000 at Indianapolis, in charge of Captain Ekin, which I order sent to Captain Jenkins for you. I also order Captain Ekin to forward another thousand as soon as he can purchase them. Advise me of any further assistance desired from this office. Two thousand from Indianapolis, with what Captain Jenkins and Colonel Allen can procure, will probably meet your wants. Why do you not send your infantry in wagons for forced marches to intercept cavalry?
M. C. MEIGS,
Quartermaster- General.
--------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/3 [S# 45]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, And Department Of The East, From June 3 To August 3, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE. ETC.--#21
WAR DEPARTMENT,
Washington City, July 4, 1863--5.30 p.m.
Brigadier-General INGALLS,
Chief Quartermaster, Army of the Potomac:
GENERAL: To improve the victory, you will need, doubtless, many remounts. Stand on no ceremony, out, by purchase or impressment of all serviceable horses within range of your foraging parties, refit the artillery and cavalry in the best possible manner.
By order of the Secretary of War:
M. C. MEIGS,
Quartermaster-General.
(NOTE.--Orders sent to Colonel Crosman, Philadelphia; Lieutenant-Colonel Donaldson, Baltimore; Captain [William M.] McKim, Boston; Captain [George W.] Lee, Detroit; and Captain [James A.] Ekin, Indianapolis, to forward horses immediately to the Army of the Potomac.)
--------------------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIX/1 [S# 48]
SEPTEMBER 24-OCTOBER 3, 1863.--Transfer of the Eleventh and Twelfth Army Corps from the Army of the Potomac to the Army of the Cumberland.
INDIANAPOLIS, IND., October 5, 1863.
(Received 12.30 p.m.)
Hon. E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:
Arrived at 8 a.m. Find tracks all connected, and cars side by side for transfer. Soldiers all gone forward. Balance of artillery, horses, and baggage will leave this point before noon to-morrow.

The only delay has been in marching men 1 mile to Soldiers' Home for hot coffee and rations. General Meigs has ordered purchase of horses here, and I have authorized Colonel Ekin to ship them forward, and also all cattle for the army that may be here or arrive before your equipment reaches the point.
I leave for Louisville at 10 a.m.
THOMAS A. SCOTT,
Colonel, and Aide-de-Camp.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXX/4 [S# 53]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN KENTUCKY, SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA, TENNESSEE, MISSISSIPPI, NORTH ALABAMA, AND NORTH GEORGIA, FROM AUGUST 11, 1863, TO OCTOBER 19, 1863.--UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.(*)--#10
HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE CUMBERLAND,
Chattanooga, October 10, 1863.
Colonel HODGES,
Nashville:
To meet wants of present cavalry operations and starvation of cavalry horses, I have ordered Captain Ekin, at Indianapolis, to provide 1,000 cavalry and artillery horses, in addition to the 1,000 previously ordered, and to hold them until he learns that the road is open for them. Advise him where to ship and when.
M. C. MEIGS,
Quartermaster-General.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXIII [S# 60]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM JANUARY 1 TO APRIL 30, 1864.--#29
CULPEPER, April 29, 1864.
(Received 2 p.m.)
Major-General HALLECK:
Send all the horses for the Army of the Potomac here instead of mounting men there. Horses are now worth more than men and horses.
U. S. GRANT,
Lieutenant-General.
-----
[Indorsement.]
Copy with orders to Lieutenant-Colonel Ekin, April 29, 1864.
R. N. S.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXIV/4 [S# 64]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES, FROM MAY 23, 1864, TO JUNE 30, 1864.--#10
WASHINGTON, D.C., June 6, 1864-4.45 p.m.
Col. W. MYERS,
Saint Louis, Mo.:
The purchase of cavalry horses must be conducted under the Cavalry Bureau. Colonel Ekin has gone West, to stimulate purchases if possible. In the mean time, General Steele must follow the enemy's example and take horses if necessary.
H. W. HALLECK,
Major-General, Chief of Staff.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXIV/4 [S# 64]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES, FROM MAY 23, 1864, TO JUNE 30, 1864.--#16
SAINT LOUIS, June 15, 1864.
(Received 12.30 p.m.)
Major-General HALLECK:
I have ordered cavalry horses purchased at Detroit, Chicago. Indianapolis, and Columbus to this point. Three thousand will be forwarded to Arkansas and Mississippi as rapidly as transportation can be furnished. General Hatch and Captain Coryell, assistant quartermaster, are acting efficiently and energetically. Will leave to-night for Cincinnati.
JAS. A. EKIN,
Lieutenant-Colonel.

-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXVII/2 [S# 71]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, JULY 1 TO AUGUST 3, 1864.(*)--#4
HEADQUARTERS OF THE ARMY,
Washington, D.C., July 7, 1864.
Colonel EKIN,
Cavalry Bureau:

All dismounted cavalry from Army of the Potomac are ordered to cavalry camp. Mount them as far as you can provide horses, and send quartermasters to General Wallace, with funds to pay for horses to be impressed and sent to the mouth of the Monocacy for remounts; also forges, &c., for shoeing some 3,000 or 4,000. Only loyal owners are to be paid, and not to exceed contract prices.
H. W. HALLECK,
Major-General and Chief of Staff.
-----
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, JULY 1 TO AUGUST 3, 1864.(*)--#6
HEADQUARTERS OF THE ARMY,
Washington, D.C., July 9, 1864--11.25 p.m.
Brig. Gen. W. W. MORRIS,
Baltimore.
All cavalry horses obtained in Baltimore and vicinity will be sent to cavalry camp in this city.
H. W. HALLECK,
(Copy furnished Colonel Ekin, Cavalry Bureau.)
-----
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, JULY 1 TO AUGUST 3, 1864.(*)--#20
WASHINGTON, D.C., July 28, 1864.
Colonel Ekin will send purchasers and inspectors to procure cavalry horses at Hagerstown and vicinity for General Hunter's command. It is important that this be done promptly, in order to supply General Hunter and get horses out of the way of rebel raids.
H. W. HALLECK,
-----
continued

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLI/2 [S# 84]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES, FROM JULY 1, 1864, TO AUGUST 31, 1864.--#32
QUARTERMASTER-GENERAL'S OFFICE, FIRST DIVISION,
Washington, August 20, 1864.
Lieut. THEODORE D. JOHNSON,
Actg. Asst. Quartermaster, Third Iowa Cav., Saint Louis, Mo.:
Telegram received. Major General Halleck directs that horses for Military Division of West Mississippi be forwarded to Memphis, to be distributed by the commanding general. This order cannot be varied.
JAMES A. EKIN,
Col. in Charge First Division, Quartermaster-General's Office.

[First indorsement.]
AUGUST 20, 1864. Cavalry horses for General Canby's command should be sent to such points as he may direct. In ordering horses to be sent down the river to Memphis it was not intended that they should stop there, if General Canby directs them to any other place.
H. W. HALLECK,
[Second indorsement.]
QUARTERMASTER-GENERAL'S OFFICE, FIRST DIVISION,
Washington, August 20, 1864.
Respectfully returned to Major-General Halleck. My telegram to Lieutenant Johnson was designed to inform him that horses would be distributed from Memphis as directed by the commanding general (Canby).
JAS. A. EKIN,
Col. in Charge First Division, Quartermaster-General's Office.

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLI/2 [S# 84]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES, FROM JULY 1, 1864, TO AUGUST 31, 1864.--#33
WASHINGTON, D.C., August 23, 1864.
Governor JOHN EVANS,
Denver, Colo. Ter.:
The Secretary of War directs me to say that a recent law requires all cavalry horses to be purchased under direction of Colonel Ekin, of the Quartermaster's Department. If there is such a pressing necessity that purchases cannot be made in time the military authorities can resort to impressment. General Curtis is the proper judge of such necessity in his department.
H. W. HALLECK,
-----
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLIII/1 [S# 91]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, SEPTEMBER 1, 1864, TO DECEMBER 31, 1864.(*)--#27
WAR DEPARTMENT, Washington City, November 26, 1864.
Col. JAMES A. HARDIE,
Inspector-General U.S. Army:
COLONEL: Please to send an order to General Augur directing a thorough inspection to be made this night of all the guards at Government depots, warehouses, stables, and public buildings, including the War Department building, and to make report thereof to me to-morrow. You will also please address a note to the chiefs of the several bureaus following, namely: The Quartermaster's, Commissary, Ordnance, and Surgeon-General's, informing them that the Department is in possession of proof of the existence of an organization to fire the public buildings and destroy public property in Washington, and calling upon them, respectively, to exercise their utmost vigilance in safely guarding and protecting the property and buildings in their charge. You will also address an order to Colonel Ekin and to the officer in charge of public property at Giesborough to the same effect. From the different officers addressed, you will require an acknowledgment of the receipt of these orders, and the hour at which received. It may be well to direct the arrest of any person found lurking around public warehouses and stables, and not properly belonging to them, and in case of their attempting to escape to pursue and capture them at all hazards. You will also direct General Augur to cause an inspection to be made of the military prisons in the District, and of their guards. If any pretext or excuse is made by him, or any one else, of an insufficiency of military force, give information thereof to the Provost-Marshal-General, and direct him to call out an adequate force from the employes of the War Department. You will also direct a proper officer to make an inspection of the condition of steam fire-engines, hoses and apparatus.
Yours, truly,
EDWIN M. STANTON,
Secretary of War.
---------------------------------
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLIII/1 [S# 91]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING SPECIALLY TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, SEPTEMBER 1, 1864, TO DECEMBER 31, 1864.(*)--#32
Washington City, December 17, 1864.
General L. THOMAS,
Adjutant-General U. S. Army, Washington, D.C.:
GENERAL: A communication from Col. James A. Ekin, chief first division, Quartermaster's Department, dated December 12, reports the capture by the rebels, on the 28th ultimo, of 167 cavalry horses and 40 mules at New Creek, W. Va. Capt. George W. Harrison, assistant quartermaster at Cumberland, Md., who had the post at New Creek also assigned to him, states that of the horses captured, fifty-four were serviceable for issue; seventy unserviceable (to be recruited), and forty-three totally unfit for service, and that the mules were all reported as serviceable.

In corroboration of reports previously received through the newspapers, Captain Harrison states that—
The surprise was complete and successful. But few minutes elapsed after the first alarm that the enemy were in the fort before they had entire possession of the station and the foremost buildings and property. Had there been twenty minutes' notice all our serviceable stock at the post could probably have been saved by running it off; as it was, most of the men in charge of the animals were captured in the corral or stables.
Respectfully submitted for the information of the Secretary of War.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
M. C. MEIGS,
Quartermaster-General U.S. Army, Brevet Major-General.
----------------------------
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/2 [S# 96]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN AND SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA, NORTH CAROLINA (JANUARY 1-31), WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM JANUARY 1, 1865, TO MARCH 15, 1865.--#3
WINCHESTER, January 6, 1865.
(Received 8.15 a.m. 7th.)
Col. J. A. EKIN,
Cavalry Bureau:

General Sheridan directs me to inform you that he has ordered depot at Hagerstown to be broken up and discontinued. All U.S. stores have been sent away, excepting forage, which is being delivered on contracts previously made. He thinks that there are too many depots of similar kind now in West Virginia, which he deems of more injury to the service than benefit. Will communicate fully by letter.
HENRY PAGE,
Lieutenant-Colonel and Assistant Quartermaster.
-----
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/2 [S# 96]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN AND SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA, NORTH CAROLINA (JANUARY 1-31), WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM JANUARY 1, 1865, TO MARCH 15, 1865.--#29

CITY POINT, VA., February 27, 1865--3.30 p.m.
Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK,
Chief of Staff:
Please direct Col. James A. Ekin to consign horses for the armies operating against Richmond as General Ingalls has requested him. When it is desired that any particular command shall have them, they will be distributed a according to the direction.
U.S. GRANT,
Lieutenant-General.
-----
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/3 [S# 97]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN AND SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM MARCH 16, 1865, TO JUNE 30, 1865.(*)--#3
Memoranda showing condition of the quartermaster's department, for information of the lieutenant-general commanding U.S. Armies.
OFFICE OF CHIEF QUARTERMASTER,
City Point, Va., March 22, 1865.
1. Amount of forage on hand with the troops, as follows:
[excerpt]
4. Miscellaneous: Brevet Brigadier-General Ekin telegraphs that he is doing everything possible in dispatching cavalry and artillery horses; that the shipment of artillery horses will be completed this week; and that the storm and flood have temporarily deranged the receipts from the North.
Colonel Brown, quartermaster, telegraphs that there is a sufficient amount of grain ordered and afloat; that every ton of hay possible to be reached will be shipped; that bran was ordered immediately upon the receipt of my former dispatches; and that he ordered two vessels loaded with forage for City Point to White House.
The Army of the James has just sent in a telegraphic estimate for some 900 cavalry horses in addition to about 650 already supplied this month. That army should anticipate its wants and give more accurate and timely notice of public wants. The fault is frequently with division and subordinate commanders. All these estimates will be filled as fast as transports can be found to transport the animals here.
Col. G. W. Bradley, chief quartermaster of this depot, leaves at 1 p.m. for White House to make arrangements for the abandonment of that depot upon the departure of General Sheridan.
Mr. Allen, the agent for Captain Strung, arrived here last night with 340 contrabands, all that he could obtain from those brought in by General Sheridan.
The following-named vessels will have left for White House by the middle of the afternoon: Steamers Diamond State, Monitor, Lizzie Bakery Vulcan, Mary Washington, Maryland, and Wm. Whildon. There have also left for the same point within the past forty-eight hours the steamers Cossack, Claymont, Curlew, D. H. Mount, Key-port, C. Vanderbilt, Nellie Pentz, John Brooks, and John A. Warner.
Respectfully submitted.
RUFUS INGALLS,
Brig. Gen. and Chief Q. M. Armies operating against Richmond.
-----
HEADQUARTERS ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES,
March 22, 1865—8.30 p.m.
Brig. Gen. J. A. EKIN,
First Division, Quartermaster-General's Office:

It is supposed Sheridan will be here by the 27th prepared for another march with the exception of 2,000 cavalry horses. The lieutenant-general directs me to obtain all that you can possibly send meantime. Both these armies require a large number yet. Please forward as rapidly as possible. If Sheridan does not detain our transports unnecessarily at White House, General Rucker should be able to furnish sufficient transportation.
RUFUS INGALLS,
Brigadier-General, Chief Quartermaster.
-----
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVI/3 [S# 97]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN AND SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, MARYLAND, AND PENNSYLVANIA, FROM MARCH 16, 1865, TO JUNE 30, 1865.(*)--#36
GENERAL ORDERS No. --.
WAR DEPT., ADJT. GEN.'S OFFICE,
Washington, April 22, 1865.
Bvt. Brig. Gen. James A. Ekin, Quartermaster's Department, U.S. Army, is detailed as one of the guard of honor appointed in General Orders, No. 72, of April 20, 1865, in place of Bvt. Brig. Gen. Charles Thomas, assistant quartermaster-general, who is hereby relieved.
By order of the Secretary of War:
W. A. NICHOLS,
Assistant Adjutant-General.
((Lincoln's Funeral Detail))
-------------
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVIII/2 [S# 102]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES,(*) FROM APRIL 1, 1865, TO JUNE 30, 1865.--#1
SAINT LOUIS, April 2, 1865. (Received 7.15 p.m.)
Major-General HALLECK:
General Dodge has telegraphed Colonel Ekin, of the Cavalry Bureau, for authority to purchase 600 horses to mount cavalry in District of South Kansas. His cavalry is nearly all dismounted. While it is much needed to prevent bands from Price's army from moving north, horses can be obtained in Kansas in two weeks at same rates paid as in Saint Louis, and of a better quality. I respectfully request that the purchase be ordered.
JNO. POPE,
Major-General, Commanding.
-----
O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XLVIII/2 [S# 102]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN LOUISIANA AND THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI STATES AND TERRITORIES,(*) FROM APRIL 1, 1865, TO JUNE 30, 1865.--#7
SAINT LOUIS, Mo., April 22, 1865--11.15 a.m.
Brigadier-General EKIN,
First Div., Quartermaster. General's Office, Washington, D.C.:
Major-General Pope wishes to know if my telegram to you of April 19 was received and at what time the 5,000 horses and 2,000 Canadian ponies for service in the Department of Arkansas can be furnished.
A. PLEASONTON,
Major-General and Chief of Cavalry and Artillery.
-------------------------
WASHINGTON, D.C., April 22, 1865--2 p.m.
Major-General POPE:
The lieutenant-general commanding does not deem it expedient to order at the present moment the purchase of the 2,000 Canadian ponies asked for for service in Arkansas.
JAS. A. EKIN,
Brevet Brigadier-General, &c.

-----
O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME IV [S# 125]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM JANUARY 1, 1864, TO APRIL 30, 1865.(*)--#28
GENERAL ORDERS No. 37.
Washington City, September 8, 1864.
The regiments and battalions of Quartermaster's Volunteers in this city and vicinity will be designated and organized as follows:
First Brigade, Prig. Gen. D. H. Rucker commanding, Washington, D.C.: Office Battalion Quartermaster's Department, Maj. C. B. Wagner; First Regiment Quartermaster's Volunteers, Col. C. H. Tompkins; Second Regiment Quartermaster's Volunteers, Col. E. E. Camp; Sixth Regiment Quartermaster's Volunteers (heretofore First Colored Regiment), Lieut. Col. C. P. P. Wroe.

Second Brigade, Col. J. J. Dana, Quartermaster's Department, Washington, commanding: Third Regiment Quartermaster's Volunteers, Alexandria, Col. J. G. C. Lee; Fourth Regiment Quartermaster's Volunteers, Washington, Colonel Elison; Fifth Regiment Quartermaster's Volunteers (heretofore Giesborough Battalion), Giesborough, Col. J. A. Ekin; Seventh Regiment Quartermaster's Volunteers (heretofore Second Colored Regiment), Alexandria, Col. T. G. Whytal.
A consolidated morning report of each brigade by regiments and of each regiment by companies will be made to the Quartermaster-General on the last day of each month, on the printed forms now used in the Army. A roster of the officers of each brigade will be forwarded at the same time.
M. C. MEIGS,
Quartermaster- General and Brevet Major-General.

((Giesborough aka Giesborough Point aka Cavalry Depot aka Cavalry Remount Station - is located on the present day Bowling Air Force Base))

Hope this helps give a general idea of how Ekin performed during the Civil War.

M. E. Wolf

Georgetown College was used primarily as a hospital for Union soldiers:

O.R.--SERIES III--VOLUME IV [S# 125]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, REPORTS, AND RETURNS OF THE UNION AUTHORITIES FROM JANUARY 1, 1864, TO APRIL 30, 1865.(*)--#37
LIST OF PAPERS ACCOMPANYING THE REPORT OF THE QUARTERMASTER-GENERAL, 1864.
No. 1.--The report of Brig. Gen. Rufus Ingalls, chief quartermaster of the armies operating against Richmond, for 1864. (Inclosures.) His annual report for fiscal year ending June 30, 1863, and a copy of report regarding the operations of the Quartermaster's Department during the battle of Chancellorsville.(*)
No. 2.--Copy of letter from Robert H. Ramsey, assistant adjutant-general, to Bvt. Brig. Gen. J. L. Donaldson, chief quartermaster Department of the Cumberland, by order of the major-general commanding.(+)
No. 3.--Extract from annual report of Capt. James M. Moore, assistant quartermaster, depot of Washington, D.C., relating to the national cemeteries and the burial of deceased soldiers, and others dying in the service of the United States in hospitals in and about Washington.
No. 4.--Abstract of appropriations for the Quartermaster's Department for the fiscal years 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, and including arrearages for 1861.
No. 5.--Monthly statement of clothing and camp and garrison equipage reported on hand at the various depots for 1st of July, 1864.
No. 6.--Report of principal articles of clothing and equipage received at the principal purchasing and manufacturing depots during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1864.
No. 7.--List of vessels owned by the United States October 15, 1864 (sea steamers).
No. 8.--Statement of vessels chartered or employed by the Quartermaster's Department during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1864.(++)
- - - - -- - - - - - - - -
Places of death.

Armory Hospital 1,158 Kalorama Hospital 572
Ascension Hospital 69 Lincoln Hospital 655
Baptist Hospital 8 Mount Pleasant Hospital 667
Camp and post hospitals 975 Nurses' Home 1
Campbell Hospital 349 Odd Fellows' Hall Hospital (Navy Yard) 24
Carver Hospital 627 Old Capitol Prison 62
Casparis Hospital 26 Park Hospital 9
Circle Hospital 66 Patent Hospital 201
Cliffburne Hospital 176 Potomac River 51
Columbian Hospital 511 Presbyterian Hospital 27
Contrabands 4,181 Providence Hospital 1
Cranch Hospital 26 Quartermaster's Hospital 150
Desmares Hospital 4 Ryland Chapel and Grace Church Hospital 24
District of Columbia 261 Seminary Hospital 194
Douglas Hospital 522 Soldiers' Rest 32
Dumbarton Hospital 13 Stanton Hospital 387
Ebenezer Hospital 37 Saint Aloysius Hospital 50
Eckington Hospital 91 Saint Elizabeth Hospital 88
Emory Hospital 773 Steamers 65
Epiphany Hospital 31 Stone Hospital 56
E Street Hospital 56 Thirteenth Street Hospital 1
Finley Hospital 444 Trinity Hospital, Georgetown 15
Forrest Hall Prison 3 Trinity Hospital, Washington 70
Georgetown College Hospital 103 Union Hospital, Georgetown 165
Giesborough Hospital 196 Union Hospital, Washington 12
Harewood Hospital 760 Waters' Warehouse Hospital 27
Home Sanitary Commission 114 Total 15,708
Island Hall Hospital 11
Judiciary Hospital 470
--------------
Medical/Surgical History--Part I, Volume II
Chapter I.--Wounds And Injuries Of The Head.
Section III--Gunshot Contusions Of The Cranial Bones.
SOUDER, ANDREW, Private, Co. C, 3d Michigan Volunteers, aged 30 years, in the action at Groveton, Virginia, August 27th, 1862, received a gunshot contusion of the left temporal region. He was admitted into the Georgetown College Hospital, D. C., on December 13th, and, on January 2d, was transferred to Philadelphia, and admitted into the Mower Hospital. Loss of vision of the left eye resulted. He was discharged from service, February 21st, 1863, and pensioned. The wound caused arthritis of the temporo-maxillary articulation, ending in partial anchylosis, so that, according to the report of Pension Examining Surgeon Wilson Jewell, the patient was unable to open his mouth more than half an inch.
------------
Chapter II. -- Wounds And Injuries Of The Face.
Section II. -- Gunshot Wounds.
HUFFMAN, J. D., Private, Co. E, 7th Pennsylvania Volunteers. Gunshot wound through nose and loss of one eye. Admitted to Georgetown College Hospital September 6th, 1862. Discharged December 3d, 1862. He is not a pensioner.
---------------
Chapter II. -- Wounds And Injuries Of The Face.
Section II. -- Gunshot Wounds.
CASE.--Private Francis H. Kirker, Co. E, 160th Pennsylvania Volunteers, aged 20 years, was wounded at Bull Run, August 29th, 1862, by a small rifle ball, which entered on the left side of the nose, at the junction of the nasal bore with its cartilage, and, passing obliquely across and slightly backward, emerged one inch above the angle of the lower jaw, on a vertical line with the external meatus, tearing away a part of the lobe of the car. He was conveyed to Washington, entering Georgetown College Hospital on September 6th; on February 4th, 1863, he was transferred to Broad and Cherry Streets Hospital. He stated that the wound bled freely at intervals for several days, and that several small pieces of bone had been removed. On admission the wound of entrance and exit had healed. There was partial paralysis of the muscles of the right cheek and some deafness on that side from injury to the nerves. There was slight ptosis of upper lid and partial loss of vision in the right eye. The ophthalmoscope revealed a congested stale of the retina. He was discharged from service on March 19th, 1863, and pensioned. Pension Examiner A. R. McClure reports, April 6th, 1867, that there is necrosis of the superior maxilla, and that the pensioner is unable to perform any labor without causing pain.
-------------
((Quarter-Master General Office would be in charge of providing supplies and transportation))

Medical/Surgical History--Part III, Volume I
Chapter XII.--On The General Hospitals.
[excerpt]
The first military hospitals were opened in Washington, D.C. The E street Infirmary and the Union Hotel both received patients in May, 1861; the former, a city hospital, was destroyed by accidental fire in November; the latter, in the Georgetown district, near the bridge over Rock Creek, was abandoned when better facilities became available,--in May, 1862, its patients, medical staff and material outfit were removed to the recently established Cliffburne hospital;(*) nevertheless, at a later period of the war, when the number of sick and wounded in the city required all its available shelter, the Union Hotel was for a time reopened. Among the buildings temporarily appropriated for hospital purposes were the Trinity churches of both Washington and Georgetown, the Dumbarton street hospital and Water's warehouse, the Georgetown College, Caspari's Hotel, Island Hall, Odd Fellows Hall, Grace Church, the Church of the Epiphany, Ryland Chapel, Union Chapel, the Baptist church on E near 6th, the Unitarian on 6th and D, and the Ascension hospital, comprising the Church of the Ascension, the Presbyterian church on 9th near H and the 8th street Methodist church. Besides these, temporary hospitals were established in the Capitol and Patent Office, in Saint Elizabeth's Insane Asylum and in many private residences.
---------------------------------
When stable they were often transferred to other hospitals, to include hospitals in Pennsylvania.

I'll check back to see if you have a name of your relative to see if he is mentioned in the Official Records of the Rebellion

M. E. Wolf

Thanks again to all of you for your help. Not only did you answer my question, but you also taught me quite a bit that I didn't expect to learn. Now that I know that the letter writer was James A. Ekin I have found photos, other examples of his writing, and other info about him.

Interestingly, I found that Ekin was on a commission following the assasination of President Lincoln that included David Hunter. One of the officers that served under David Hunter was David Hunter Strother. Strother would later become the father-in-law of John Walker, the "young man" Ekin wrote Lincoln about in the letter I have been researching. A bit of a small world isn't it?

Nan Walker

Walker:

O.R.--SERIES II--VOLUME V [S# 118]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, ETC., RELATING TO PRISONERS OF WAR AND STATE FROM DECEMBER 1, 1862, TO JUNE 10, 1863.--#26
Washington, May 18, 1863.
Col. WILLIAM HOFFMAN,
Commissary General of Prisoners, Washington City.
COLONEL: John Walker, late captain of the U.S. tugboat Fox, with Martin B. Woolfley, engineer of the said boat, report that they represent the crew of the U.S. tug Fox, consisting of twenty-one men, including themselves, captured at Pass à l'Outre, April 12, midnight, and carried into Mobile, thence forwarded to Richmond and paroled for exchange and sent to Annapolis, thence to Washington City. They apply for transportation for themselves and crew to New Orleans. They have been directed to report to you, and upon a requisition approved by you Colonel Rucker, depot quartermaster, will send them by transport to New York to be forwarded thence by transportation to New Orleans.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
M. C. MEIGS,
Quartermaster. General.

Strother:

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 5 [S# 5]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating Specially To Operations In Maryland, Northern Virginia, And West Virginia From August 1, 1861, To March 17, 1862.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#3
SENECA CREEK, MD., November 21, 1861.
Brig. Gen. S. WILLIAMS, Army of the Potomac:
SIR: In communicating to you, for the information of the Commanding General, Colonel Leonard's report of the rebel forces in Northern Virginia, near Winchester, I remarked that I had sent Mr. Strother, in the employ of the Topographical Department, to make further inquiries. His report I have the honor to inclose. It gives a correct view of affairs there I think, and nothing would delight this division more than to make the expedition to Winchester which is suggested by him and which I believe to be entirely feasible.
I have the honor to be, with much respect, your obedient servant,
N. P. BANKS,
Major-General, Commanding Division.
[Inclosure. ]
HANCOCK, M.D., November 18, 1861.
Maj. Gen. N. P. BANKS:
SIR: I have received the following intelligence from Virginia, which I believe to be entirely reliable. It is the statement of an intelligent and loyal gentleman who has returned from Richmond through Winchester, where he was in pursuance of some private business.
When Romney was taken the citizens of Winchester, apprehending the occupation of their town, sent to General Johnston for a force to protect them. He positively declined sending any. Influential citizens of Winchester then applied to the Secretary of War at Richmond, who granted their request to the extent of ordering Jackson with his brigade to their assistance.
My informant said the brigade near Winchester numbered, according to his estimate, 4.000 men. This is the highest estimate that I have heard of this force, and it is probably overstated.
On arriving at Winchester, General Jackson immediately called out the militia en masse; all were between the ages of sixteen and sixty. This call has been very feebly responded to, and the force thus collected is thought to be utterly worthless except for show. In face of an enemy it would be rather a disadvantage than an assistance. With this force Jackson is making a demonstration in the direction of Romney, probably as far as Hanging Rock, on the Cacapon River.
General Jackson is reported to have said that the militia of the district ought to be able to defend it. This with Johnston's refusal to send the regular troops from Manassas seems to indicate that there would be no effort to hold, much less to retake, Winchester if assailed or occupied by any considerable force of United States troops.
My father is confident that the advance of 5,000 men, with cavalry and artillery, from Harper's Ferry would sweep the valley, occupy Winchester, and, if made with secrecy and celerity, might cut off Jackson's whole force.
My informant also says the Union sentiment, hitherto suppressed in and about Winchester, is again becoming clamorous and restive.
The officer in command here tolls me that he has had a letter from General Kelley, at Romney, stating his force at 11,000 men.
The conduct of the militia at Harper's Ferry and at Romney justify fully the opinion above expressed of their unreliable character. At Romney, I am credibly informed that a force of 1,500 or 2,000 fled before Kelley's advance of 130 cavalry, firing only a few scattering shots and making no serious resistance, leaving everything---arms, baggage, and artillery--in the hands of the Union troops.
It is supposed here that Kelley will take Winchester within ten day. This of course is mere supposition. He is advancing his outposts 15 or 20 miles on the line of the river and railroad, repairing the railway as he advances. He has also, according to reports, advanced on the Winchester road the same distance.
I have heard nothing further of the force reported to have moved from Leesburg toward Winchester, but suppose it may occupy some strategic point, ready to act on either point (Leesburg or Winchester) that circumstances might indicate---Snickersville, possibly.
I have no doubt myself that if a strong demonstration was made on Winchester Jackson would either retire or be taken, and the position remain in our hands without further dispute.
This intelligence of the Confederate forces in the valley is the most recent, and I have full reliance on its general accuracy.
I submit the above with respect.
Yours, &c.,
DAVID H. STROTHER,
Assistant Topographical Engineer, U.S. Army.

-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XII/2 [S# 16]
OPERATIONS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, AND MARYLAND.
March 17-September 2, 1862.
No. 2.--Reports of Maj. Gen. John Pope, U. S. Army, of the operations of the Army of Virginia June 26-September 2, with orders and correspondence.
NEW YORK, January 27, 1863.
GENERAL: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the army under my command during the late campaign in Virginia:
Several of the reports of the corps commanders have not yet reached me, but so much time has elapsed since the termination of the campaign that I do not feel at liberty to withhold this report longer. The strange misapprehension of facts concerning this campaign, which, though proceeding from irresponsible sources, has much possessed the public mind, makes it necessary for me to enter more into detail than I should otherwise have done, and to embody in the report such of the dispatches and orders sent and received as will make clear every statement which is contained in it.
[excerpt]
To my personal staff I owe much gratitude and many thanks. Their duties were particularly arduous, and at times led them into the midst of the various actions in which we were engaged. It is saying little when I state that they were zealous, untiring, and efficient throughout the campaign. To Brigadier-General Roberts in particular I am indebted for services marked throughout by skill, courage, and unerring judgment, and worthy of the solid reputation as a soldier he has acquired by many years of previous faithful and distinguished military service. I desire also specially to mention Brigadier-General Elliott, Surgeon McParlin, Colonel Beckwith, Lieut. Col. T. C. H. Smith, Captain Piper, chief of artillery, Captain Merrill, of the Engineers, and Lieutenant Shunk, chief of ordnance. I must also honorably mention the following members of my staff, the conduct of all of whom met my hearty approval and merits high commendation: Colonels Macomb, Clary, Marshall, Butler, Morgan, and Welch, Majors Selfridge and Melinc, Captains Asch, Douglass Pope, Haight, Atchison, De Kay, Piatt, Paine, and Strother. Mr. McCain, confidential telegraph operator at my headquarters, accompanied me throughout the campaign, and was at all times eminently useful and efficient. My personal escort, consisting of two small companies of the First Ohio Cavalry, numbering about 100 men, performed the most arduous service probably of any troops in the campaign. As orderlies, messengers, and guards they passed many sleepless nights and weary days. Their conduct in all the operations, as in every battle, was marked by uncommon activity and gallantry.
The reports of corps, division, and brigade commanders, herewith submitted, exhibit the loss in killed, wounded, and missing in their respective commands. No report of any descriptions has been received from the army corps of Banks and Reno.
I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
JNO. POPE,
Major-General, U. S. Volunteers.
Brig. Gen. G. W. CULLUM,
Chief of Staff and of Eng'rs, Hdqrs. of Army, Washington, D.C.

--------------------------------
SERIES I--VOLUME XII/3 [S# 18]
Correspondence, orders, and returns relating specially to operations in Northern Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland from March 17 to September 2, 1862.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#11
HARPER'S FERRY, VA.,
May 27, 1862.
Hon. E. M. STANTON:
Colonel Strother and Colonel Clark, from Banks' command at Williamsport, state that the infantry and transportation horses are so badly fatigued that it will be a day or two before they can move again; that his cavalry, 1,500 strong, is in good condition. It ought to scout the country toward Martinsburg and take possession of that place at once, and General Banks ought to return to that point immediately. In this neighborhood there is no force of the enemy, but a few squads of the enemy's light horse, whose families live here, have taken advantage of the general panic to revisit their homes. The forces sent here seem to be very deficient in officers. The One hundred and second New York, which arrived this morning, had its colonel--Hayward--but neither lieutenant-colonel, major, quartermaster, nor commissary, these officers being on furlough. It would add greatly to the efficiency of our forces if every officer was at once ordered to join his regiment, unless unable to bear arms by reason of physical disability. The forces here have no intrenching tools, neither have they shelter or other tents sufficient for their protection from the dews, which are heavy, and exposures to which generate miasmatic diseases of a very obstinate and malignant type. If these forces should move up the valley to join Banks they will want transportation. I leave in an hour for Washington.
P. H. WATSON,
Assistant Secretary of War.
-----
SERIES I--VOLUME XII/3 [S# 18]
Correspondence, orders, and returns relating specially to operations in Northern Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland from March 17 to September 2, 1862.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#30
HDQRS. SECOND CORPS, ARMY OF VIRGINIA,
Manassas, Va., August 30, 1862--5 p.m.
Colonel STAGER:
Captain Nordendoff was sent to the battle-field by me this afternoon, and reports that last evening at 6 o'clock a most severe engagement occurred between Jackson and 60,000 rebels and three of our army corps. Lieutenant-Colonel Strother informed him that the battle was the most decided and brilliant victory of the war. About 40,000 were engaged on our side. We lost about 6,000; the rebels 10,000. In the night Jackson retreated toward the mountains; I cannot say whether to Thoroughfare Gap or only to a new position. The battle was opened by Sigel, who engaged the enemy till 6 o'clock, then Heintzelman on the right and McDowell on the left. The action continued until 9 p.m. It was on the field of the battle of last year. To-day Sumner came up.

Nothing important has occurred to-day so far as I know, the position of the enemy not being fully ascertained. He is beaten to-day. Heintzelman on the right, Kearny center, and McDowell left. General Pope directed the movements in person. Our men are in great spirits, but exhausted. It was expected that the pursuit of the enemy would be made by Sumner. You will understand this is a field report for you alone, not for publication, by your request.
N. P. BANKS,
Major-General, Commanding.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XV [S# 21]
Union Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In West Florida, Southern Alabama, Southern Mississippi, And Louisiana From May 12, 1862, To May 14, 1863: And In Texas, New Mexico, And Arizona From September 20, 1862, To May 14, 1863.--#9
GENERAL ORDERS, No. 8.
HDQRS. DEPARTMENT OF THE GULF,
New Orleans, January 12, 1863.
Upon the report of the commission (*) appointed on the 25th day of December, 1862, to consider the subject of sequestered property and estates, it is ordered:

[excerpt]
IX. Col. E.G. Beckwith, chief commissary; Lieut. Col. D.H. Strother,(*) aide-de-camp, and Capt. W. Sturgis Hooper,(+) aide-de-camp, are charged with the responsibilities and duties of the commission herein named from and after this day.
By command of Major-General Banks:
RICH'D B. IRWIN,
Lieutenant-Colonel, Assistant Adjutant-General.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XVI/2 [S# 23]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN KENTUCKY, MIDDLE AND EAST TENNESSEE, NORTH ALABAMA, AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA FROM JUNE 10 TO OCTOBER 31, 1862.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#22
HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE OHIO,
Cincinnati, September 25, 1862.
Gov. DAVID TOD, Columbus Ohio:
H. W. Strother, aide-de-camp to Governor, telegraphs from Wheeling that Colonel Lightburn reports the rebels advancing on Point Pleasant in force. Can you send him troops? General Wright left for Louisville this morning; he has no troops that he can send to Western Virginia.
N. H. McLEAN,
Assistant Adjutant-General and Chief of Staff.
-----
Potential relative
-----------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------
continued

-----

Back