Need help getting started

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
Ok I am new to this part of the war, but I found out that there is a relative of mine that fought in the 14th VA Infantry and is buried in Hollywood Cemetary. That's really all I know besides his name. Any suggestions on where I can start looking up more info on him and trying to figure out how I am related to him?

Thanks

Write the state Archive in Richmond and also the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Washington DC, they would have info, get the date of death from the grave, check findagrave.com might have a photo posted, if not go to the cemetary get the info, and write for his death certificate. check surrounding tombstones see if his wife and kids are buried there too. Write for Civil records once you get the dates, Birth Marriage and Death, check churches too if you figure out what religion they were. if you need any other assistence, dont hesitate to Private message me or post. -

Matt,

In the meantime, look for H. E. Howard and Sons website in Lexington, VA. See if there is a published history of the 14th VA. Most of those histories have individual soldier information included. Then the previous advice about chasing the records is certainly in order.

Oops. Senior moment. H.E. Howard and Sons is in Lynchburg, VA (not Lexington)

As mentioned above, check the Howard series. I'm sure there must be an entry on the 14th. The Howard series has complete rosters, usually with information from service records. Might be the easiest place to start.

Respectfully

Try US GENWEB, then the location(state, county) Many locations have actual photos of markers in cemeteries. It's a good free site, with lots of links. You can likely get a decent line on a person prior to visiting the Archives.
Another site is 'Soldiers and Sailors' sponsered by the Nat'l Parks.

WARNING: Looking for ancestors is VERY ADDICTIVE!
Have a good day.

Back