Need help determining if this cap is civil war period...

dzyner

Cadet
Hi all.

This is my first post under this forum so please forgive me if I go outside of any forum rules (and please let me know if I do).

I acquired this cap along with a Civil War veteran GAR cap recently (that cap is posted here). However, while I do know there was naval military activity during the Civil War, I'm not sure that this style cap was in place yet (maybe I'm wrong?).

I'm hoping some of you experts can either confirm or deny that this is a Civil War period cap, and if it is a Civil War period cap can you provide any details related to its use during that period (who would have been the wearer, generally speaking)?

I can say that the deep blue color of the wool, as well as the texture, on this cap is almost an identical match to that of the GAR cap. There are also some very similar construction details that are shared between the two caps, including the way a small amount of the blue cloth folds over the bill where it meets the rim of the cap on either side (see the last photo). I'm very curious if it is indeed from that period.

navy-cap1.jpg
navy-cap2.jpg
navy-cap3.jpg
navy-cap4.jpg
navy-cap5.jpg
navy-cap6.jpg
navy-cap7.jpg
navy-cap8.jpg

Thanks!
Dzyner

Last edited:
It's the wrong shape for the war; welcome to the forums!

Some great answers so far. I could try researching the insignia tonight after I get home.

I don't know a thing about uniform caps (try me on ladies' headwear and I might do better), but welcome to the forum, from way out in Oregon!

Thanks for all the great feedback, and the welcomes! Much appreciated. I suspect as well that this is Merchant Marine, possibly WW1 or WW2 era. The company shown on the interior lining has been around since the 1850s with the noted address according to my research, so this cap could date from any number of periods once this cap design came into use. Trouble is I cannot find this cap style, color and insignia anywhere, which is very curious.

Major Bill, I appreciate your offer to research the insignia. I hope you have better luck than I have, but then you likely have more reference material than I do.

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo forum. Your cap was made sometime in the early 1900's

David Klein & Brothers, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, operated as a tailor from 1854 to 1927.
Catalogue of Uniforms and Equipment's Manufactured for Bands and Military Organizations by D. Klein & Bros., 921 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA

Hello dzyner. Welcome to the forums.

I agree with the others that's it definitely from the first half of the 20th century. In addition to being a possible Civil/Merchant Marine cap, it could also be a state Naval Militia cap.

Back