Need Assistance With A Project

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
Hello friends!

So I was inspired by Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old documentary and I was thinking about how cool it'd be to make a film using footage of civil war veterans in a way similar to Peter Jackson.

I would like assistance locating footage or audio of the veterans directly from the archives.

Does anyone know of any footage of the 75th anniversary of Gettysburg reunion specifically?

Who among you is good with video editing?

For example a silent film that needs cleaning up and speed correction.

Who's interested in trying to do something like this?

Try finding video via archive.org, through the film link. Not sure if there's anything there, other than perhaps news reel coverage, if even that. Otherwise, the National Archives or, perhaps, the Museum of the Moving Image in NY.

When we saw They Shall Not Grow Old we stayed after for a short documentary on how Jackson and his collaborators had made the film. This was not a small job - it required a lot of deep technical expertise. I love the idea of combining raw footage with interviews, but I'm not sure this could be done with a volunteer group.

When we saw They Shall Not Grow Old we stayed after for a short documentary on how Jackson and his collaborators had made the film. This was not a small job - it required a lot of deep technical expertise. I love the idea of combining raw footage with interviews, but I'm not sure this could be done with a volunteer group.
Totally agree. The amount of manpower, knowledge of editing technology, and capital to make anything even remotely nearing the caliber of this documentary is something to consider.

OP perhaps you should create a script, pitch it, and secure the funding that something like this needs.

I do wish you good fortune because it sounds like a fantastic idea.

Back