NF Need advice on a book cover

Non-Fiction
Anyone have advice/suggestions/recommendations on creating a book cover for an e-book? My talents aren't in graphic design, so I'll have to farm that out to someone else, but I've got nothing to base a decision on at this point.

The books are historical fiction and involve intelligence operations, if that helps. I keep thinking of a take-off on the classic 'James Bond' design of the lady in a dress with a pistol with Bond in the background, but changing it to a Belle with a revolver and a man in a frock coat :D That might be copyright infringement though.

Anyone have advice/suggestions/recommendations on creating a book cover for an e-book? My talents aren't in graphic design, so I'll have to farm that out to someone else, but I've got nothing to base a decision on at this point.

The books are historical fiction and involve intelligence operations, if that helps. I keep thinking of a take-off on the classic 'James Bond' design of the lady in a dress with a pistol with Bond in the background, but changing it to a Belle with a revolver and a man in a frock coat :D That might be copyright infringement though.
I provided my publisher the concept and photos to be used for my book's cover last year. It turned out great. Many cover designers work part-time for self publishing companies, and are probably searchable online. But on another matter, I noticed some time ago your post of the Co. K, 19th Indiana photo, with your ancestor, Jos. Carder. It is remarkable! My book and CW interest is about the Iron Brigade. The Indianapolis and Carmel, IN CW Roundtables would be interested in seeing it, and the IN Historical Society may wish to archive. Seeking your thoughts and permission.

I provided my publisher the concept and photos to be used for my book's cover last year. It turned out great. Many cover designers work part-time for self publishing companies, and are probably searchable online. But on another matter, I noticed some time ago your post of the Co. K, 19th Indiana photo, with your ancestor, Jos. Carder. It is remarkable! My book and CW interest is about the Iron Brigade. The Indianapolis and Carmel, IN CW Roundtables would be interested in seeing it, and the IN Historical Society may wish to archive. Seeking your thoughts and permission.
Welcome, enjoy. Where have you been since 2016 joining?

Busy, I guess, as you can see with this late reply. If you are interested in donating or licensing a copy if the Co. K, 19th Indiana photo to the Indiana Historical Society, the contact person is Eric Mondell, 317-234-0037. They acknowledged that it is an "extraordinary image".

Your designer will want to read the manuscript, or at least a fairly detailed synopsis of it. You are on the right track by thinking of potential copyright infringements, etc.

I told my cover designer what I wanted, but had to revisit as it wasn't aimed at the correct market. Probably need to keep your market in mind and play to that. I also gave her a much more detailed description after consulting a marketer. It worked out well ... at least the cover :laugh: The rest of it is all just wait and see. Good luck with your story :smile:

I also think @Patrick H has the right idea. An artist who delves that deep will probably have their own great ideas in mind.

Apologies for the delay- the pic came from Ancestry, not sure who originally posted it. I've got his CSR, as well as my wife's ancestor, William H. Murray; they both ended up as officers in the 19th, and likely knew each other.

Back