Need A Little Help On This One

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
One of our new members @bayouace is trying to track down his GG Grandfather. I have exhausted all my avenues Fold# and the Alabama archives. When I could not find D B Miller so I started with Nelson Fennel and could only find a few references and he doesn't show up in Fold3 (that I could find) Paging @lelliott19
Simon B. (Sikes) Miller
DOB: May 3, 1843
Born: Decatur, Alabama
All Alabama Archives could give me was a pay authorization dated Nov.22, 1863, signed by Nelson Fennel, for Sept and Oct service. I appreciate your help.

In September 1862, Captain Nelson
Fennel ,Commanding a company of partisan rangers
operating
in Lawrence and Morgan Counties, conducted a raid
into Winston County to capture deserters and
Union Men.
Captain Fennel Commander of Company J of the 4th
AlabamaCav Regyt
Screenshot (2).png

One of our new members @bayouace is trying to track down his GG Grandfather. I have exhausted all my avenues Fold# and the Alabama archives. When I could not find D B Miller
@bayouace I am happy to give it a shot. I assume that D B Miller is your gg grandfather? Any idea what D B Millers first name was? Where he was born and what year? Where he was living in 1860? I assume he was either born in or was living in a Alabama at the time of the war?

@bayouace I am happy to give it a shot. I assume that D B Miller is your gg grandfather? Any idea what D B Millers first name was? Where he was born and what year? Where he was living in 1860? I assume he was either born in or was living in a Alabama at the time of the war?
Sorry about that. I had it above but I know you don't see well like me. :cold:
Simon B. (Sikes) Miller

The parents of Simon B Sikes Miller died in 1852 (father) and 1858 (mother.) Looks like Simon B. Sikes Miller may have been living in Goshen, Utah in 1862. His eldest child, Rebecca Miller (b. 1862 d. 1869) was reportedly born and died there. His marriage to Mary Ann Dall reportedly occurred on 12 Nov 1864 in Goshen, Utah.

His wife, Mary Ann Dall, was born in Cambridge, England 26 March 1847 and she immigrated with her parents in 1857. By 1860, the Dall family was enumerated in the US Census at Goshen, Utah.

In 1880, Simon BS Miller and Mary Ann Miller are enumerated on the US Census for District 8, Smithville, Pima, Arizona with four children - namely Lula, W, F, age 8, born in Utah (about 1872); Harry, W, M, age 7, born in Utah (about 1873); Adelaine, W, F, age 4, born in Utah (about 1876); and George, W, M, age 3, born in Utah (about 1877.) Only two entries on the census separate the Simon Miller family from the household of Henry David Dall Jr --- Mary Ann's older brother.

The parents of Simon B Sikes Miller died in 1852 (father) and 1858 (mother.) Looks like Simon B. Sikes Miller may have been living in Goshen, Utah in 1862. His eldest child, Rebecca Miller (b. 1862 d. 1869) was reportedly born and died there. His marriage to Mary Ann Dall reportedly occurred on 12 Nov 1864 in Goshen, Utah.

His wife, Mary Ann Dall, was born in Cambridge, England 26 March 1847 and she immigrated with her parents in 1857. By 1860, the Dall family was enumerated in the US Census at Goshen, Utah.

In 1880, Simon BS Miller and Mary Ann Miller are enumerated on the US Census for District 8, Smithville, Pima, Arizona with four children - namely Lula, W, F, age 8, born in Utah (about 1872); Harry, W, M, age 7, born in Utah (about 1873); Adelaine, W, F, age 4, born in Utah (about 1876); and George, W, M, age 3, born in Utah (about 1877.) Only two entries on the census separate the Simon Miller family from the household of Henry David Dall Jr --- Mary Ann's older brother.
Firstly, I am very, very grateful to you and ucvrelics for your time and efforts. My mother's LDS geneology records match your research except hers has Simon's marriage to Mary Ann Dall in 1866, and has no mention of a daughter Rebecca born in 1862. Harry is my gf William Henry Miller. Perhaps Simon had a first wife who died. Dunno. Since Alabama Archives gave me only a reference to a pay authorization for "S. Miller", I can probably assume THAT S.Miller is not my ggf. Honestly, I figured Simon was an LDS, was hooked into Fennel's Partisan Rangers, discharged himself, and skeddadled to Utah first chance he got. Oh well, I still have my ggf in the Arkansas 14th at Corinth. Thanks again. CWT has great folks here.

Last edited:
One of our new members @bayouace is trying to track down his GG Grandfather. I have exhausted all my avenues Fold# and the Alabama archives. When I could not find D B Miller so I started with Nelson Fennel and could only find a few references and he doesn't show up in Fold3 (that I could find) Paging @lelliott19
Simon B. (Sikes) Miller
All Alabama Archives could give me was a pay authorization dated Nov.22, 1863, signed by Nelson Fennel, for Sept and Oct service. I appreciate your help.

In September 1862, Captain Nelson
Fennel ,Commanding a company of partisan rangers
operating
in Lawrence and Morgan Counties, conducted a raid
into Winston County to capture deserters and
Union Men.
Captain Fennel Commander of Company J of the 4th
AlabamaCav Regyt
View attachment 395214
Thank you so much for all you have done with this research. Although my ggf may not have been in service, I feel you have helped solve the mystery. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back