Need A Little Help On This One. Who Is He?

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Need a little help on this one. From the collar rank he is The Commander In Chief of the UCV but which one. I have exhausted all my avenues. Any help in Id'ing this guy would be GREATLY appreciated. Maybe @lelliott19
2021-04-11 09.33.45.jpg

Last edited:
Being a CIC of the UCV it should not be that hard but I'm stumped

Being a CIC of the UCV it should not be that hard but I'm stumped
Any indication from the uniform of what year he might have had the portrait painted? The lapel on the jacket looks pretty modern to me?

Are you sure the painting is of a UCV Commander-in-Chief? The collar insignia of three stars and wreath was worn by all general officers of the UCV; if so, the subject painting could be of a Division Commander.
Not necessarily. After the CW most Southern States had CS Vets assn and most loosely used the CSA rank structure. When the UCV was formed in 1889 and all states adopted the constitution the rank structure was changed. It take a few years but by 1900 state or dept commanders rand was 3 stars all the same size in a wreath with the UCV CIC having 1 big star with one small on each side. This painting is from the early 1900 so his rank is CIC of the UCV.

Thanks Mike I believe that is him.

Back