Nearly Untouched Earthworks - Battle of Honey Hill

HoneyHill.jpg
According to his daughter’s application to join the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Lemuel Edwards “participated in three battles.”

Those battles were the battles of Griswoldville, Honey Hill, and Savannah.

In the summer of 2016, I obtained permission from the town of Ridgeland, South Carolina, to explore the breastworks located in the snake-infested woods off Highway 336. The town had recently purchased the property, and had plans to preserve the nearly untouched breastworks.

I loaded some pics and videos here:

http://plowsharesintoswords.com/theuntouchedbattlefieldofhoneyhill/

Facing-East-.jpg

Facing-North.jpg

Joseph Derry wrote of these breastworks and the battle of Honey Hill in his Story of the Confederate States. He wrote, “A remarkable feature of this battle was the presence among the Confederates of some boy volunteers, even under the age subject to conscription. Soldiers who were present in that battle say that some of the boys were not tall enough to shoot over the parapet. So they resorted to the following device: A boy would get on his hands and knees, another would stand on his back, deliver his fire, and then change places with his friend, so that he might get a shot at the ‘Yanks’”

These works are 150 some odd years old, but still quite formidable- you can see my dad walking on top in one of the pics

Nice. Thanks for posting. Awesome pics. They are quite formidable.

Back