1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!

NC brigades paroled at Appomattox

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by CSA Today, Jun 29, 2013.

  1. CSA Today

    CSA Today Brev. Brig. Gen'l

    Dec 3, 2011
    Laurinburg NC

  2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. east tennessee roots

    east tennessee roots Captain

    Dec 31, 2010
    Kingsport, Tennessee

    Brigadier-General William Ruffin Cox
    Brigadier-General William Ruffin Cox was born March 11, 1832,
    at Scotland Neck, Halifax county, N. C. He is of English and
    Scotch-Irish descent, and his ancestors were early and
    prominent colonists in the new world.

    The father of General Cox died when the latter was four years
    old, and later his mother moved to Nashville, Tenn., where he
    was educated and graduated in letters at the Franklin college,
    and in law at the famous Lebanon law school. He formed a
    partnership in the legal practice with a prominent member of
    the Nashville bar, and was active in his profession until
    1857, when he removed to North Carolina and engaged in
    agriculture in Edgecomb county.

    Removing to Raleigh in 1859, he was nominated for the
    legislature on the Democratic ticket, and though leading the
    same, was defeated by thirteen votes.

    Upon the outbreak of the war in 1861, he contributed liberally
    to the equipment of the "Ellis artillery" company, and was
    employed in organizing a company of infantry when he was
    commissioned, by Governor Ellis, major of the Second regiment,
    North Carolina State troops, commanded by Col. C. C. Tew.

    Upon the death of the gallant colonel at Sharpsburg, Judge W.
    P. Bynum became colonel and Cox lieutenant-colonel, and soon
    afterward Bynum resigned and Cox took command of the regiment,
    and was promoted to colonel in March, 1863. In the battle of
    Chancellorsville, where his brigade suffered great loss, he
    was three times wounded.

    In his official report General Ramseur gave unusual and
    prominent attention to "the manly and chivalrous Cox of the
    Second North Carolina, the accomplished gentleman, splendid
    soldier and warm friend, who, though wounded three times,
    remained with his regiment until exhausted. In common with
    the entire command, I regret his absence from the field, where
    he loves to be."

    He was able to rejoin his command after the return from
    Pennsylvania and take part in the Wilderness and Spottsylvania
    battles of 1864. He took a conspicuous part with Ramseur's
    brigade in the battle of May 12th, for which Generals Lee and
    Ewell gave their thanks upon the field.

    After this battle he, though the junior colonel, was promoted
    to the command of the brigade, composed of the Second, Fourth,
    Fourteenth and Thirtieth regiments, to which were attached
    those of the First and Third regiments who escaped from the
    wreck of Steuart's brigade of Johnson's division.

    After the battle of Cold Harbor he served with Early's corps
    in the relief of Lynchburg, the expedition through Maryland to
    Washington, including the battle of Monocacy, and the
    Shenandoah battles of the fall of 1864. He then returned to
    the heroic army of Northern Virginia in the trenches before
    Petersburg, participated in the gallant and desperate effort
    of Gordon's corps to break the enemy's line at Fort Stedman,
    and during the retreat rounded out his reputation for good

    It has been related by Governor Vance that on one occasion
    during the retreat to the west, when General Lee was
    endeavoring to form a line from disorganized troops, his heart
    was gladdened by the appearance of a small but orderly
    brigade, marching with precision. He called out to an aide:
    "What troops are those?" "Cox's North Carolina brigade," was
    the reply. Then it was that, taking off his hat and bowing
    his head with knightly courtesy, he said, "God bless gallant
    old North Carolina."

    Cox led the division at the last charge at Appomattox, and had
    ordered his brigade to cover the retreat, when he was recalled
    to the rear. It was the brigade of General Cox, marching in
    the rear, which faced about, and with the steadiness of
    veterans on parade, poured such a sudden and deadly volley
    into the overwhelming numbers of the Federals that they
    temporarily abandoned the attempt to capture the command.

    General Cox was with his men to the bitter end. Eleven wounds
    had not sufficed to retire him from the service.

    Subsequently he resumed his law practice, and became president
    of the Chatham railroad. For six years he held the office of
    solicitor of the metropolitan district; was chairman of the
    Democratic State executive committee for five years; was
    delegate for the State-at-large in the national convention of
    1876, and in January, 1877, was appointed circuit judge of the
    Sixth judicial district.

    This office he resigned to enter Congress, where he served
    with distinction for six years. Intending to retire from
    politics, General Cox returned to his estate in Edgecomb and
    resumed the pursuit of agriculture, and was thus employed
    when, without his knowledge, his name was agreed upon and he
    was elected as secretary of the United States Senate, to succeed Gen. Anson G. McCook.

    This position he has since filled to the entire satisfaction
    of that great body, also giving much personal attention to his
    agricultural interests.

    General Cox was married in 1857 to a daughter of James S.
    Battle, and after her death in 1880, to a daughter of Rt. Rev.
    T. B. Lyman, bishop of North Carolina.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p303




    Major, Fourth North Carolina Infantry (State troops), July
    16, 1861
    Colonel, Fourth North Carolina Infantry, June 19, 1862.
    Brigadier general, P. A. C. S., May 19, 1864.
    Major general, P. A. C. S., February 15, 1865.

    Died August 14, 1880.


    Brigade composed of the Thirty-second, Forty-third, Forty-
    fifth and Fifty-third North Carolina Regiments Infantry, and
    the Second North Carolina Battalion of Infantry, formerly
    Brigadier General Daniels' Brigade.

    Division composed of his own brigade and the brigades of
    Battle, Cook and Cox, Army of Northern Virginia, from September
    19, 1864, to April 9, 1865.

    Source: Generals of the Confederate States Army


    Major-General Bryan Grimes was born at Grimesland, Pitt
    county, N. C., November 2, 1828, the youngest son of Bryan and
    Nancy Grimes. He was graduated at the university of North
    Carolina in 1848, then made his home upon a plantation in Pitt
    county, and in April, 1851, was married to Elizabeth Hilliard,
    daughter of Dr. Thomas Davis, of Franklin county.

    This lady died a few years later, and in 1860 he traveled in
    Europe, but returned home soon after the national election.
    He hastened to the scene of conflict at Fort Sumter as soon as
    he heard of the bombardment, and then visited Pensacola and
    New Orleans, returning to take a seat in the convention of his
    State which adopted the ordinance of secession.

    In the latter part of May he resigned his seat in this body
    and accepted appointment as major of the Fourth infantry
    regiment, in organization at Garysburg under Col. George B.

    He reached Virginia after the battle of First Manassas; May 1,
    1862, was promoted lieutenant-colonel, and thereafter
    commanded his regiment with promotion to colonel June 19th.
    At Seven Pines every officer of the regiment but himself, and
    462 out of 520 men, were killed or wounded. His horse's head
    was blown off by a shell, and the animal fell upon him, but he
    waved his sword and shouted, "Forward!" and when released from
    his painful position, seized the regimental flag and led his
    men in their successful charge.

    At Mechanicsville the remnant of the command was again
    distinguished. At this time General Anderson declared,
    "Colonel Grimes and his regiment are the keystone of my

    He was disabled by typhoid fever until the Maryland campaign,
    and as he went into that his leg was so injured by the kick of
    a horse that amputation was considered necessary; but
    nevertheless he took the field at Sharpsburg, and another
    horse was killed under him, the third of the seven which he
    thus lost during his career.

    General Anderson was mortally wounded in this battle, and in
    November Grimes was assigned to temporary command of the
    brigade, which he led at the battle of Fredericksburg. At
    Chancellorsville he and his regiment were distinguished on all
    three days of battle, on the third driving the enemy from
    their breastworks at the point of the bayonet, but at the cost
    of many lives. In this fight the gallant colonel again
    narrowly escaped death.

    In the Pennsylvania campaign he and his men were in the
    advance of Ewell's corps, and on picket eight miles from
    Harrisburg; and at Gettysburg on the first day they were the
    first to enter the village and drive the enemy to the heights
    beyond, only pausing in obedience to orders.

    During the retreat from Pennsylvania he served efficiently on
    the rear guard. At Spottsylvania Court House, after General
    Ramseur was wounded, he led the brigade in an impetuous charge
    which recovered much of the ground gained by Hancock at the
    "bloody angle," in recognition of which General Lee told the
    brigade "they deserved the thanks of the countryÄthey had
    saved his army."

    General Daniel having been mortally wounded in this fight,
    Colonel Grimes was put in command of his brigade. On May
    19th, after he had made an effective fight in a flank movement
    upon the enemy, General Rodes declared: "You have saved
    Ewell's corps, and shall be promoted, and your commission
    shall bear date from this day. "

    This promise was fulfilled early in June, and soon afterward
    he took his men to the Shenandoah valley, and joined in the
    movement through Maryland to Washington. In the fall campaign
    in the valley, though in impaired health, he did his duty
    gallantly and desperately against the overwhelming numbers of
    the Federals, and had many remarkable escapes from death or

    When Ramseur fell at Cedar Creek, he took command of the
    division, which he held until the end, being promoted major-
    general in February, 1865. In spite of their terrible
    reverses, he infused such spirit in his men that they were
    able to rout 4,000 Federal cavalry at Rude's hill, November

    In the spring of 1865 he fought in the Petersburg trenches,
    and participated with great gallantry in the fight at Fort
    Stedman, in which he rode a captured horse, and was a
    conspicuous target to the enemy, but still seemed to bear a
    charmed life. When his line was broken April 2nd, he rushed
    down his line on foot, and seizing a musket joined in the fire
    upon the enemy, until his troops, encouraged by his coolness,
    were able to recover the greater part of their lines.

    During the retreat from Petersburg he was almost constantly in
    battle; at Sailor's Creek saved himself by riding his horse
    through the stream and up the precipitous banks amid a shower
    of bullets, and on the next day led his division in a splendid
    charge which captured the guns taken from Mahone and many
    Federal prisoners, winning the compliments of General Lee.

    Bushrod Johnson's division was now added to his command, and
    on April 9th the other two divisions of the corps, Evans' and
    Walker's, were put under his command, he having volunteered to
    make the attack to clear the road toward Lynchburg. He was
    successful in driving the enemy from his front, but after
    receiving repeated orders to withdraw fell back to his
    original line, and was then informed of the proposed

    At first refusing to submit to this, he was about to call upon
    his men to cut their way out, when General Gordon reminded him
    of the interpretation which might be put upon such action
    during a truce, and he was compelled by his sense of honor to

    As an estimate of his character as a soldier, the words of
    Gen. D. H. Hill in March, 1863, are exact and comprehensive:
    "He has been in many pitched battles and has behaved most
    gallantly in them all. His gallantry, ripe experience,
    admirable training, intelligence and moral worth constitute
    strong claims for pro motion. "

    After the close of hostilities he returned to his plantation.
    He had married in 1863, Charlotte Emily, daughter of Hon. John
    B. Bryan, of Raleigh, and several children were born to them.
    His life went on in quiet and honor until August 14, 1880,
    when he was shot by an assassin and almost instantly killed.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p. 314
    Brigadier-General Robert D. Johnston


    Brigadier-General Robert D. Johnston, of North Carolina, at
    the time of the secession of his State, was second lieutenant
    in the Beattie's Ford rifles, State troops. He entered the
    Confederate service as captain of Company K, Twenty-third
    North Carolina infantry, July 15, 1861.

    His regiment was on the peninsula during 1861 and the spring
    of 1862, and participated in the battle of Williamsburg. On
    May 21, 1862, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-
    colonel. He was wounded at Seven Pines while gallantly
    leading his men, and at South Mountain and Sharpsburg fought
    with conspicuous bravery in Garland's brigade.

    In describing the fighting on his part of the field near the
    center of the Confederate line at Sharpsburg, Gen. D. H. Hill
    reported the fact that the Twenty-third North Carolina was
    brought off by "the gallant Lieutenant-Colonel Johnston" and
    put in position in the sunken road, and he especially
    commended Johnston among the officers distinguished on that
    bloody field.

    At Chancellorsville, when Major Rowe, leading the Twelfth
    North Carolina, was killed, Lieutenant-Colonel Johnston took
    command of that regiment. This regiment and the Twenty-third
    were both in Rodes' gallant division, which was in the front
    of Jackson's brilliant flank attack. In this battle the North
    Carolinians under Johnston captured a stand of the enemy's

    After Gettysburg Johnston was promoted to the rank of
    brigadier-general, to date September 1, 1863, and assigned to
    the command of his brigade, formerly led by Samuel Garland and
    D. K. McRae. It was composed of the Fifth, Twelfth, Twentieth
    and Twenty-third regiments and Second battalion of North
    Carolina infantry. This command fought under its gallant
    leader in the battles of the Wilderness and Spottsylvania, at
    which latter battle General Johnston received a severe wound.

    He was again in command during the valley campaign under
    Early, participating in the series of severe battles which
    ended with that of Cedar Creek, a victory in the morning, a
    defeat in the afternoon.

    He was with his men in the subsequent weary winter, watching
    and fighting in the trenches around Petersburg, and was
    included in the surrender at Appomattox.

    After the close of hostilities General Johnston practiced law
    at Charlotte for twenty years from 1867 as a partner of Col.
    H. C. Jones.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p. 320

    Brigadier-General William G. Lewis

    Brigadier-General William G. Lewis, of North Carolina, began
    his service in the Confederate army as third lieutenant of
    Company A, First North Carolina infantry, April 21, 1861.

    By the close of the year he had shown such efficiency as an
    officer that we find him on January 17, 1862, major of the
    Thirty-third North Carolina, and before the active campaign of
    1862 had fairly begun, lieutenant-colonel of the Forty-third
    North Carolina infantry, April 25, 1862.

    In the Gettysburg campaign this regiment was in the brigade of
    Gen. Junius Daniel, of Rodes' division and Ewell's corps. On
    June 10, 1863, Ewell's corps left Brandy Station, and two days
    later reached Cedarville, whence Ewell sent Rodes and Jenkins
    to capture Martinsburg, while he with Early's and Edward
    Johnson's divisions marched directly upon Winchester.

    On June 14th Ewell captured Winchester and Rodes captured
    Martinsburg. The valley was thus cleared of Federal troops,
    4,000 of whom were captured. Immense supplies were the spoils
    of the Confederates, who marched on and crossed the Potomac.

    In his report of the battle of Gettysburg, Gen. Junius Daniel,
    after giving an account of the part acted by his brigade,
    makes special mention of Lieut.-Col. W. G. Lewis among others,
    and adds, "These officers all acted with bravery and coolness,
    as did all my officers and men whose conduct came under my
    observation, but the above were more conspicuous than the

    Lewis participated with credit in the siege and capture of
    Plymouth, N. C., in April, 1864, winning promotion to colonel,
    and then, being ordered to Petersburg, won the rank of
    brigadier-general in Beauregard's campaign against Butler.

    Here he was in command of Hoke's old brigade, the Sixth,
    Twenty-first, Fifty-fourth and Fifty-seventh North Carolina
    regiments and First battalion, which was assigned to the
    division of Gen. Robert Ransom.

    The latter, in his report of the battle of Drewry's bluff, May
    16th, said that after they had gained the enemy's outer works,
    and were in confusion in the midst of a dense fog, a sudden
    assault was delivered by the Federals, driving back the left
    of Hoke's division. Though ammunition was almost exhausted,
    "Colonel Lewis was ordered to throw the only regiment he had
    in hand at double-quick" to the point of danger, "which was
    handsomely done, and he engaged the enemy long enough to allow
    Colquitt's brigade, of the reserve, to arrive. "

    In command of his brigade, assigned to Ramseur's division,
    General Lewis participated in Early's victorious march down
    the Shenandoah valley and through Maryland to Washington, and
    in the hard battles with Sheridan in the valley, during the
    remainder of 1864, and then returning to Richmond and
    Petersburg was on duty there until the retreat westward.

    In a desperate fight of the rear guard at Farmville, April
    7th, he was severely wounded and taken prisoner.

    This gallant officer participated in thirty-seven battles and
    heavy skirmishes. His life since the war has been one of
    activity and honor. He has served as State engineer thirteen
    years, and at present is chief engineer of the Albany &
    Raleigh railroad, with his residence at Goldsboro.
    GELongstreet and CSA Today like this.
  4. east tennessee roots

    east tennessee roots Captain

    Dec 31, 2010
    Kingsport, Tennessee


    Brigadier-General John R. Cooke

    Brigadier-General John R. Cooke was born at Jefferson
    barracks, Mo., in 1833, the son of Philip St. George Cooke,
    then first lieutenant First dragoons, U. S. A.

    It is an interesting fact that while the son and his sister's
    husband, J. E. B. Stuart, fought for Virginia in the war of
    the Confederacy, the father, a native of Frederick county,
    Va., remained in the United States army, and attained the rank
    of major-general, finally being retired after fifty years'

    Young Cooke was educated at Harvard college as a civil
    engineer, but in 1855 was commissioned second lieutenant,
    Eighth infantry, after which he served in Texas, New Mexico
    and Arizona.

    When Virginia seceded he promptly resigned his commission,
    reported to General Holmes at Fredericksburg as first
    lieutenant, and after the battle of Manassas raised a company
    of light artillery, which did splendid service along the

    In February, 1862, he was promoted major, and assigned as
    chief of artillery to the department of North Carolina. In
    April, at the reorganization, he was elected colonel of the
    Twenty-seventh North Carolina regiment.

    On being ordered to Virginia his regiment was attached to A.
    P. Hill's division, and was first in battle at Seven Pines.
    After the battle of Sharpsburg, in which he won the admiration
    of the whole army, he was promoted to brigadier-general,
    general, and put in command of a brigade of North Carolinians,
    the Fifteenth, Twenty-seventh, Forty-sixth, Forty-eighth and
    Fifty-ninth regiments.

    At Fredericksburg he supported General Cobb, holding the
    famous stone wall, and all through the war, until its close,
    he and his brigade were in the thickest of the fray. He was
    wounded seven times, at Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Bristoe
    Station, and in the Wilderness campaign.

    No officer bore a more enviable reputation than General Cooke
    for prompt obedience to orders, skill in handing his men,
    splendid dash in the charge, or heroic, patient, stubborn
    courage in the defense.

    After the close of hostilities General Cooke entered
    mercantile life at Richmond, and during his subsequent life
    was prominent in the affairs of the city and State. He served
    several years as a member of the city committee of the
    Democratic party, was a director of the chamber of commerce,
    and president of the board of directors of the State

    During the years of peace and reconciliation, the estrangement
    in his family which had followed his espousal of the Southern
    cause, was fully healed; but he remained loyal to his old
    comrades. He was prominent as a founder and manager of the
    Soldiers' Home at Richmond, was one of the first commanders of
    the Lee camp, Confederate veterans, and acted as chief of
    staff at the laying of the cornerstone of the Lee monument,
    and at its unveiling.

    He married Nannie G. Patton, of Fredericksburg, daughter of
    Dr. William F. Patton, surgeon U. S. N., and they had eight
    children. General Cooke's death occurred April 10, 1891.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p302

    Brigadier-General William MacRae


    Brigadier-General William MacRae was born at Wilmington, NC,
    September 9, 1834, the son of Gen. Alexander MacRae, whose
    wife was the daughter of Zilpah McClammy.

    His family was descended from the clan MacRae, of Rosshire,
    Scotland, whose valor is recorded in the history of many
    famous wars, from the Crusades to Waterloo.

    He was educated for the profession of civil engineering, in
    which he was occupied at Monroe when the crisis arrived
    between the North and South.

    He at once enlisted as a private in the Monroe light infantry,
    and was elected captain when it became Company B, Fifteenth
    infantry. In April, 1862, he was promoted lieutenant-colonel;
    in February, 1863, colonel, and in 1864 was commissioned

    In the peninsular campaign in Virginia and at Second Manassas
    his regiment was a part of Howell Cobb's brigade, first under
    the division command of Magruder and later of McLaws. At
    Sharpsburg he commanded the brigade, reduced to 250 men,
    repelled three assaults of the enemy, and fell back when he
    had but 50 men left and the ammunition was exhausted.

    At Fredericksburg he fought with his regiment at Marye's hill.
    Immediately after this battle the Fifteenth was transferred to
    J. R. Cooke's North Carolina brigade, with which he served in
    his native State and southeast Virginia until after the
    Pennsylvania campaign.

    Rejoining the army of Northern Virginia, he was distinguished
    for valor at the battle of Bristoe Station. After General
    Kirkland was wounded at Cold Harbor, 1864, Colonel MacRae,
    with the temporary rank of brigadier-general, was assigned to
    the command of that brigade, General Pettigrew's old command,
    and he proved a fit leader for the heroes which composed it.

    He was identified with the record of Hill's Third army corps
    during the Richmond campaign, among the bravest of the brave.
    At Reams' Station, August 25, 1864, the brigade under his
    command, in line with Lane and Cooke, advanced at double-quick
    without firing a gun, drove Hancock's corps from its
    intrenchments in their front, and captured a Federal battery
    which was fought with valor equal to that of its assailants.

    It may be said that the success of this assault was largely
    due to the keenness of General MacRae in selecting the moment
    to strike without waiting for orders.

    At Burgess' Mill, October 27, 1864, he displayed remarkable
    coolness and gallantry. Having advanced against the enemy,
    broken his line and captured a battery, he was left
    unsupported while the Federals closed about him. In this
    predicament he drew back his flanks and kept up a desperate
    fight, holding the enemy at bay until night approached, when
    he cut his way back through the Federal lines partly formed in
    his rear.

    He was with the army to the end at Appomattox, and then
    returned to his native State, penniless, but enshrined in the
    hearts of his countrymen.

    He had not gained high rank speedily during his service, but
    his ability, as well as his modesty, was recognized by General
    Lee as well as by the people, and it was generally understood
    that a major-general's commission would in a measure have
    rewarded his services if the war had not come to a sudden

    In civil life, during the years of peace which followed, he
    was conspicuous as general superintendent of the Wilmington &
    Manchester railroad, later of the Macon & Brunswick, and
    finally of the State road of Georgia, now known as the Western
    & Atlantic.

    His intense application to the duties of these positions
    wrecked his strength, and he died at Augusta, GA, February 11,
    1882, at the age of forty-seven years.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p. 330

    Brigadier-General James H. Lane


    Brigadier-General James H. Lane was born at Matthews Court
    House, Va., the son of Col. Walter G. and Mary A. H.
    (Barkwell) Lane. He was one of the two "star graduates" of
    his class at the Virginia military institute, and afterward
    pursued a scientific course at the university of Virginia.

    After serving on the hydrographic survey of York river, he was
    appointed assistant professor of mathematics and tactics at
    the Virginia military institute, and later professor of those
    branches at the Florida State seminary. At the time of the
    formation of the Confederate States government he was
    professor of natural philosophy in the North Carolina military
    institute at Charlotte.

    With the other officers of the college he offered his services
    to the State. He acted as drillmaster and adjutant in the
    first camp of instruction near Raleigh, where he was elected
    major of the First North Carolina volunteers, Col. D. H. Hill.

    His first service was on the Virginia peninsula, where on July
    8th, with a detachment composed of the Buncombe riflemen and
    one gun of the Richmond howitzers, he attacked and chased a
    marauding party across New Market bridge in full view of Old
    Point and Hampton, becoming responsible, as Colonel Hill
    publicly declared at the time, for the subsequent affair at
    Big Bethel.

    In that encounter he served in the salient before which Major
    Winthrop was killed. His regiment here earned the title of
    the "Bethel" regiment, and he was dubbed the "Little Major"
    and elected lieutenant-colonel when Hill was promoted.

    Not long afterward he was elected colonel of the Twenty-eighth
    North Carolina regiment, which he reorganized for the war,
    before the passage of the conscript acts. He was then again
    unanimously elected colonel, and at inspection near Kinston
    his command was complimented by General Holmes for being the
    first of the twelve months' regiments to re-enlist for the

    He commanded his regiment at Hanover Court House when it was
    cut off by the overwhelming force under Fitz John Porter, and
    was praised by Generals Lee and Branch for the gallantry of
    the fight and the masterly extrication from disaster. At Cold
    Harbor he was wounded at the same time that the noble Campbell
    fell in front of his regiment, colors in hand, and at
    Frayser's Farm he received an ugly and painful wound in the
    face while charging a battery, but refused to leave the field.

    At Sharpsburg, when the brigade under Branch was hastening to
    the left, Lane and his regiment were detached by A. P. Hill
    and sent into the fight to support a battery and drive back
    the enemy. About dark Lane received an order from Branch to
    join the brigade, and when coming up met Major Engelhard, who,
    in response to an inquiry as to where General Branch could be
    found, replied in a voice choked with emotion:
    "He has just been shot; there he goes on that stretcher, dead,
    and you are in command of the brigade. "

    Two days after, Lane's brigade, with Gregg's and Archer's,
    constituted the rear guard of the army in crossing the
    Potomac. The brigade hailed with delight Lane's promotion to
    brigadier-general, which occurred November 1, 1862, christened
    him their "Little General," and presented him a fine sash,
    sword, saddle and bridle.

    He was at this time twenty-seven years old. In his last
    battle under Stonewall Jackson, Chancellorsville, he and his
    North Carolinians fought with gallantry and devotion.

    At Gettysburg he participated in the first shock of battle on
    July 1st, and on the 3rd his brigade and Scales' formed the
    division which Trimble led up Cemetery hill. In this bloody
    sacrifice half his men were killed or wounded, and his horse
    was killed under him.

    ubsequently he was in command of the light division until the
    12th, when it was consolidated with Heth's.

    During 1864 he was in battle from the Rapidan to Cold Harbor.
    At Spottsylvania Court House, at the critical moment when
    Hancock, having overrun the famous angle and captured
    Johnson's division, was about to advance through this break in
    the Confederate line, Lane's brigade, stationed immediately on
    the right of the angle, rapidly drew back to an unfinished
    earthwork, in which he flung two of his regiments, while the
    other three were posted behind them to load and pass up rifles
    to the front line.

    Thus a terrible fire was opened upon the Federals, which
    checked their triumph and permitted Gordon's and other
    divisions to arrive in time to hold the line.

    At Cold Harbor General Lane received a painful wound in the
    groin which disabled him for some time, but he was with his
    brigade at Appomattox.

    After the surrender he made his way, penniless, to his
    childhood home, and found his parents ruined in fortune and
    crushed in spirit by the loss of two brave sons, members of
    their brother's staff.

    He worked here until he could borrow $150 to assist him in
    search of other employment. Since then he has been
    prominently associated with educational work in the South,
    serving eight years as commandant of cadets and professor of
    natural philosophy in the Virginia agricultural and mechanical
    college; for a short time as professor of mathematics in the
    school of mines of the Missouri State university, and for a
    long time with the Alabama agricultural and mechanical
    college, first acting as commandant, as well as professor of
    civil engineering and drawing, the chair he still holds.

    He has received the degrees of Ph. D., from the university of
    West Virginia, and LL. D., from Trinity college, North
    Carolina. At the first interment of President Davis he was
    one of the three guards of honor.

    General Lane married Charlotte Randolph Meade, of Richmond,
    who died several years ago, leaving four daughters.

    Brigadier-General Alfred Moore Scales


    Brigadier-General Alfred Moore Scales was born November 26,
    1827, in Rockingham county, son of Dr. Robert H. Scales. He
    was educated at the Caldwell institute and Chapel Hill, and
    after teaching for a time, studied law with Judge Settle and
    later with Judge Battle.

    He was elected county solicitor in 1852, and was a member of
    the house of commons in 1852-53. In 1854 he made a creditable
    race as the Democratic candidate for Congress in a Whig
    district. Again being elected to the legislature, he served
    as chairman of the finance committee.

    In 1857 he was elected to Congress over his former opponent,
    but was defeated for re-election. From 1858 until the spring
    of 1861 he held the office of clerk and master of the court of
    equity of Rockingham county. In 1860 he was an elector on the
    Breckinridge ticket, and in 1861 was a candidate for the
    convention, favoring the calling of the same, though he did
    not propose immediate secession.

    Soon after the call for troops from Washington he volunteered
    as a private in the North Carolina service, but was at once
    elected captain of his company, H of the Thirteenth, and
    succeeded General Pender as colonel in the following October.

    He was engaged in the skirmishes at Yorktown, the battle of
    Williamsburg and the Seven Days' campaign about Richmond,
    Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. In the latter engagement
    he continued on the field, though shot through the thigh,
    until loss of blood forced him to a halt.

    It was to his regiment that General Pender said: "I have
    nothing to say to you but to hold you all up as models in
    duty, courage and daring." In his official report Pender
    referred to Colonel Scales as "a man as gallant as is to be
    found in the service. "

    While at home, recovering from his wound, he was promoted to
    brigadier-general June 13, 1863, and on his return was
    assigned to the command of Pender's old brigade. In the first
    day's fight at Gettysburg he fought with great gallantry, and
    fell severely wounded by a fragment of shell on Seminary
    ridge, where every field officer of his brigade was killed or
    wounded save one, and his brigade, already sadly reduced by
    its terrible sacrifices at Chancellorsville, lost in all
    nearly 550 men.

    With General Pender at his side he was carried back to
    Virginia in an ambulance, and being left at Winchester,
    recovered. He took part in the campaigns of the army of
    Northern Virginia during 1864, in command of his brigade, and
    was faithful to the end, though at home on sick furlough at
    the time of the surrender.

    He subsequently resumed the practice of law, a profession in
    which he gained very high distinction. In 1874 he was elected
    to the Forty-fourth Congress, and his career in this capacity
    met with such general approval that he was re-elected to the
    four succeeding Congresses.

    He was then in 1884, chosen governor of North Carolina by a
    majority of over twenty thousand votes. Upon the expiration
    of his term as governor he retired permanently from political
    life, repeatedly refusing to be returned to Congress.

    In 1888 he was elected president of the Piedmont bank at
    Greensboro, and continued as its president until he died, in
    February, 1892.

    At the time of his death at Greensboro all business houses
    closed and the city turned out en masse to attend his funeral.
    He was greatly beloved and respected by all who knew him, and
    his home life was particularly pleasant and charming. He was
    survived by his wife, Kate Henderson Scales, and his daughter,
    Mrs. John N. Wynne, who now reside at Danville, Va.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p349
    GELongstreet and CSA Today like this.
  5. east tennessee roots

    east tennessee roots Captain

    Dec 31, 2010
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    P295.gif NORTH CAROLINA.
    Lieutenant colonel, First North Carolina Infantry.
    Colonel, Thirty-fifth North Carolina Infantry, , 1862.
    Brigadier general, P. A. C. S., June 13, 1863.
    Major general, 1865.


    Brigade composed of the Twenty-fourth, Twenty-fifth,
    Thirty-fifth, Forty-ninth and Fifty-sixth North Carolina
    Regiments Infantry, Longstreet's Corps, Army of Northern

    Source: General Officers of the Confederate States of America

    Brigadier-General Matthew Whittaker Ransom was born in Warren
    county, N. C., in 1826. His father was Robert Ransom, who was
    descended from a colonial Virginia family of Gloucester
    county. His mother was Priscilla West Coffield Whittaker,
    whose lineage is traced to Alexander Whittaker, the English
    clergyman who baptized Pocahontas.

    He was graduated at Chapel Hill, the State university, in
    1847, and was soon afterward admitted to the practice of law.
    The remarkable ability which he at once displayed led to his
    election five years later as attorney-general of the State.

    This office he resigned in 1855 to return to general practice.
    Three years later he was called upon to represent his district
    in the legislature, and was re-elected twice, serving until
    1861. In the latter year he was sent by North Carolina as a
    peace commissioner to the provisional congress at Montgomery.

    At the organization of the First regiment of infantry, at
    Warrenton, June 3, 1861, he was commissioned lieutenant-
    colonel. Subsequently he was appointed colonel of the Thirty-
    fifth regiment, of Robert Ransom's brigade. With this command
    he participated in the Seven Days' battles before Richmond,
    and was particularly distinguished in the repulse of a night
    attack June 25th, and in the attack on Malvern hill, where his
    regiment suffered severely and he was twice wounded, so that
    he had to be carried from the field.

    He was again on duty with his regiment in the Maryland
    campaign, and during part of the battle of Sharpsburg had
    temporary command of the brigade, repelling a Federal assault,
    and pursuing the enemy and inflicting such punishment that no
    further attack was made in that quarter during the day.

    After the battle of Fredericksburg he served at Wilmington and
    other points in North Carolina, and being promoted brigadier-
    general took command of the brigade formerly led by Robert

    He held the Suffolk line during the Gettysburg campaign, and
    in the latter part of July defeated the enemy's advance toward
    Weldon. He continued to serve in North Carolina during 1863,
    participated in the capture of Plymouth, defeated the enemy at
    Suffolk March 9, 1864, and then fought with Beauregard before
    Petersburg, with Longstreet on the north side of the James,
    and in Bushrod Johnson's division on the Crater line.

    During the latter part of 1864 he was in command of this
    division, comprising his own brigade and those of Wise, Gracie
    and Wallace. In the famous assault upon the Federal works on
    Hare's hill, March 25, 1865, he commanded two brigades, whose
    service was particularly complimented by General Lee.

    He was again in battle at Five Forks, and finally surrendered
    with Lee at Appomattox.

    After the close of hostilities he resumed the practice of law
    and engaged in planting, until 1872, when he was elected to
    the United States Senate, where he served by re-election a
    continuous period of twenty-four years.

    As a member of this exalted body he rendered efficient service
    to his State, and while retaining the affections of the people
    of whom he was part, gained the respect and admiration of the
    representatives of the whole nation.

    As a forcible and elegant public speaker and a wise councilor
    he held a high position during his public career in the
    Democratic party. In the second administration of President
    Cleveland he served as minister to Mexico, succeeding ex-
    Governor Gray, of Indiana.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p. 343

    Brigadier-General Rufus Barringer


    Brigadier-General Rufus Barringer was born in Cabarrus county,
    N. C., December 2, 1821. He was of sturdy German stock, a
    grandson of John Paul Barringer, who was born in Wurtemburg,
    June 4, 1721, and emigrated to this country, arriving at
    Philadelphia, in the ship Phoenix, September 30, 1743.

    John Paul or Paulus Barringer, as he was called, married
    Catharine, daughter of Caleb Blackwelder and Polly Decker of
    Germany. Of their ten children by this (second) marriage, the
    eldest, Paul Barringer, was prominent in the service of the
    State and was commissioned a brigadier-general during the war
    of 1812. During his infancy his grandfather Blackwelder, and
    his father Paulus Barringer, a captain in the colonial militia
    and a conspicuous member of the committee of safety, were
    taken prisoners by the tories and carried to Cheraw, S. C.

    Paul Barringer married Elizabeth, daughter of Jean Armstrong
    and Matthew Brandon, who was with Joseph Graham and Colonel
    Locke in the repulse of the British near Charlotte, and also
    served with Col. John Brandon at Ramseur's mill.

    Gen. Rufus Barringer, son of the above, was born in 1821, and
    was graduated at North Carolina university in 1842. He
    studied law with his brother Moreau, then with Chief Justice
    Pearson, settling in Concord. A Whig in politics, in 1848 he
    served in the lower house of the State legislature, and here
    was in advance of his time in advocating a progressive system
    of internal improvements.

    The following session he was elected to the State senate. He
    then devoted himself to his practice until he was made in 1860
    a Whig elector in behalf of Bell and Everett. He was
    tenacious of his principles, and not to be swerved from duty
    by any amount of ridicule or opposition; was devotedly
    attached to the Union and the Constitution, and with rare
    discernment saw that the consequence of secession would be
    war, the fiercest and bloodiest of modern times, and he was so
    outspoken with his convictions that he was once caricatured in
    the streets of Charlotte.

    However, when he saw that war was inevitable, his duty to his
    State came uppermost, and even before the final ordinance of
    secession was passed he urged the legislature, then in
    session, to arm the State and warn the people that they must
    now prepare for war.

    He himself was among the first to volunteer. He raised in
    Cabarrus county a company of cavalry, of which he was chosen
    captain and which became Company F, First North Carolina
    cavalry, his commission bearing date May 16, 1861.

    He was promoted to major, August 26, 1863, and three months
    later to lieutenant-colonel. In June, 1864, he was
    commissioned brigadier-general, and succeeded to the command
    of the North Carolina cavalry brigade, consisting of the
    First, Second, Third and Fifth regiments.

    General Barringer was in seventy-six actions and was thrice
    wounded, most severely at Brandy Station. He had two horses
    killed under him at other engagements. He was conspicuous at
    the battles of Willis' Church, Brandy Station, Auburn Mills;
    Buckland Races, where he led the charge; Davis' Farm, where he
    was commander; and he was in command of a division at Reams'

    His brigade was distinguished at Chamberlain Run, March 31,
    1865, when it forded a stream one hundred yards wide, saddle-
    girth deep, under a galling fire, and drove back a division of
    Federal cavalry, this being the last decisive Confederate
    victory on Virginia soil.

    On April 3, 1865, at Namozine church, he was taken prisoner by
    a party of "Jesse scouts" disguised as Confederates, Colonel
    Young and Captain Rowland among them, and sent to City Point
    along with General Ewell.

    President Lincoln, then at City Point, was at Colonel Bowers'
    tent and asked that General Barringer be presented to him,
    jocosely adding, "You know I have never seen a real live rebel
    general in uniform. " The President greeted him warmly, and
    was pleased to recall acquaintanceship with his elder brother,
    D. M. Barringer, with whom he served in Congress.

    General Barringer was then sent on to the old Capitol prison,
    and afterward transferred to Fort Delaware, where he was
    detained till August, 1865. While there, he had the
    opportunity of ascertaining the current of public sentiment in
    regard to the results of the war, and as he had foreseen that
    war would follow secession, he now realized that the
    conquerors decreed free suffrage, and believed the wisest
    action of the South would be to accept the consequences.

    With his accustomed directness and fearlessness of action, he
    advocated the acceptance of the reconstruction acts of 1867,
    and urged his fellow citizens to the policy he believed best
    suited to the country. Of course he suffered from the violent
    animosity incident to political differences, yet the
    appreciation of his home people was shown by his election in
    1875 to the State constitutional convention, as a Republican
    from a Democratic county, and though defeated for lieutenant-
    governor in 1880, his own Democratic county gave him a
    majority of its votes.

    In 1865 General Barringer removed to Charlotte, and resumed
    the practice of law till 1884; at first in partnership with
    Judge Osborne. After his retirement from the bar he devoted
    himself to his farming interests, striving to imbue the farmer
    with ambition for improvement in himself and his

    For this purpose he often had recourse to the press, the last
    week of his life contributing to the papers an article
    protesting against the farmers' desertion of their homes for
    the towns. He had abiding faith in the power of the press and
    in its influence for good.

    Among his latest pleasures were talking with the old veterans
    and contributing to the history of the war. In 1881 he wrote
    a series of cavalry sketches describing the battles of Five
    Forks and Chamberlain Run, Namozine Church, and other notable
    engagements, which are preserved to-day among the most
    interesting and valuable historical data of the war; and again
    he made valuable contributions to " The War Between the
    States," published by John A. Sloane.

    He was ever interested in history, and zealous of the fame of
    North Carolina. He wrote sketches of "The Dutch Side," a
    history of the "Battle of Ramseur's Mill," "A History of the
    North Carolina Railroad," etc.

    On November 19, 1894, came a plea from Judge Clark for a
    history of the Ninth regiment, State troops (First North
    Carolina cavalry), saying, "You are very busy, and that is one
    reason you are selected. Only busy men have the energy and
    talent to do this work. Your record as a soldier satisfies me
    that you will not decline the post of duty. "

    Already confined to bed, he called for books and papers, and
    with the zeal and haste of one impressed with the importance
    of the work and the shortness of time, he put on the finishing
    touches not many days before the end. It was a labor of love.

    The purpose of his thought, which never seemed to weaken, was
    the uplifting of his fellow men, the prosperity of his beloved
    church, and care for his old comrades. One of his last
    injunctions to his son was, "Remember Company F; see that not
    one of them ever suffers want. They ever loved me, they were
    ever faithful to me, and Paul, always stand by our Confederate
    soldiers, and North Carolina. Let her never be traduced."

    He died February 3, 1895, leaving a wife and three sons; the
    eldest, Dr. Paul Barringer, now chairman of the university of
    Virginia; the youngest, Osmond Long Barringer, with his mother
    in Charlotte. His first wife was Eugenia Morrison, sister of
    Mrs. T. J. (Stonewall) Jackson; the second Rosalie Chunn, of
    Asheville; the surviving one Margaret Long of Orange county.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p294

    Brigadier-General William Paul Roberts


    Brigadier-General William Paul Roberts was born in Gates
    county, N. C., July 11, 1841. Before he was twenty years old
    he entered the Confederate service as a noncommissioned
    officer in the Nineteenth North Carolina regiment, or Second
    cavalry, Col. S. B. Spuill.

    He was promoted third lieutenant August 30, 1861; first
    lieutenant September 13, 1862; captain November 19, 1863, and
    though the junior captain, soon attained the rank of major.
    He served with distinction during the operations of the
    regiment in North Carolina, until transferred to Virginia in
    the fall of 1862.

    He then served on the Rappahannock line, at Fredericksburg, in
    the Suffolk campaign, and in the famous battle of Brandy
    Station, where the gallant Col. Sol Williams was killed.
    After participating in the fighting of the spring of 1864, in
    the North Carolina brigade of W. H. F. Lee's division, Roberts
    was promoted to colonel of the regiment.

    At Reams' Station, August 25th, with his regiment dismounted
    he made a gallant charge upon the enemy's rifle-pits, carrying
    them handsomely and capturing a number of prisoners. February
    21, 1865, he was promoted brigadier-general, and General Lee's
    gauntlets were presented him by the great chieftain as a mark
    of personal recognition of the young hero's distinguished

    With his command, mainly composed of North Carolinians, he
    fought with valor at Five Forks, and during the retreat to

    After the close of hostilities he addressed himself with the
    same activity and courage to the reestablishment of the State
    and the restoration of its prosperity. In 1875 he represented
    Gates county in the convention, and in 1876-77 served in the

    In 1880 and 1884 he was elected auditor of State, an office
    the duties of which he discharged with notable ability for a
    period of eight years.

    Source: Confederate Military History, vol. V, p348
    GELongstreet and CSA Today like this.
  6. CSA Today

    CSA Today Brev. Brig. Gen'l

    Dec 3, 2011
    Laurinburg NC
    East Tennessee, great work and thanks for posting.

    Over the past several months I have prepared and given programs on the 23rd NC infantry, Robert D, Johnston brigade. With emphasis on Co. D

    46th NC inf. John R.Cooke brigade emphasis Co.D

    18th NC inf., James H. Lane brigade emphasis Co. F.

    All three companies were locally raised.
    east tennessee roots likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Share This Page

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)