Naval use of Sharps Carbine on board ship

Cannonman1

Private
I have in my collection what is termed a Naval Sharps Carbine.. This is a Model 1859 Sharps Carbine without Saddle bar and ring and it has a sling swivel on butt stock.. and falls in the serial number range that is classified as the Naval Contract for these...I have John D McAulays book on Civil War Small Arms for US Navy and Marine Corp but there is no mention of this weapon which makes me wonder a bit as John covered some pretty obscure weapons. What is the story on these carbines??

Last edited:

Borderruffian

1st Lieutenant
I know some Marine Ships Detachments were issued Sharp's Carbines and Rifles for boarding parties and other away details. The Sharp's weren't a standard issue arm Corps wide it apparently by vessel, I have no idea as to the criteria of Sharp's issues in the Corps. Might have been a Navy Bureau of Ordnance thing.

georgew

Sergeant
I know some Marine Ships Detachments were issued Sharp's Carbines and Rifles for boarding parties and other away details. The Sharp's weren't a standard issue arm Corps wide it apparently by vessel, I have no idea as to the criteria of Sharp's issues in the Corps. Might have been a Navy Bureau of Ordnance thing.
Confederate sources stated that more than one Sharps sniper rifles were captured with the Morning Light off Sabine Pass. Apparently given to snipers up on the cross-trees. There was also what seems to have been an "Ellsworth Rifle" captured on the same vessel.