1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Natural Fortifications Incorporated Into Breastworks

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

bw stret.jpg

Whenever possible, soldiers included rocks, boulders and fallen trees into their defenses. On the south summit of Little Round Top a grouping of boulders was incorporated into breastworks constructed by New York men on the evening of July 2nd, after most of the fighting had ended for the day. Just below the 44th/12th NY Castle on LRT a photograph was taken just days after the battle that exemplifies this technique.
    In the photo, there are many items seen left behind by the soldiers. Easily seen are wooden slats from empty ammo boxes, paper wrappers from torn cartridges, as well as wooden stakes probably used to hold up blankets for protection from the hot July sun. Also, nearly impossible to see without magnification is a rifle bayonet that belonged to a soldier who fought in this area. I will include a blow up from this image in which the bayonet can be seen more clearly.

bayonet jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Paging auxillary brain, @PeterT : did we see these rocks???

JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  4. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

On the south side of the 44th NY Castle is a wayside with this pic on it positioned right above the actual location.

Bee and JohnW. like this.
  5. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

I think I might remember this! I DO remember a group of boulders down below that we walked to...

JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  6. infomanpa

infomanpa Corporal

Here ya go...
    Capture.PNG

Bee, StephenColbert27, FZ11 and 6 others like this.
  7. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

Thanks for posting @infomanpa . I took a similar shot I was looking for to post for @Bee, but could not find it. I am saving your pic, if ok.

Bee and JohnW. like this.
  8. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

We were there. Near the base of the mounument. About here I think. Around to the left of this photo.

IMG_1535.JPG

GELongstreet, JohnW., Bee and 4 others like this.
  9. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

@infomanpa's pic above was taken just below your location, but facing south. Your view is NW in your pic.

PeterT, Bee, JohnW. and 1 other person like this.
  10. infomanpa

infomanpa Corporal

Not my picture. I cropped it from Google Street View. I lot of you might not know it, but about a year ago, a Google guy with a handheld camera walked some of the more common paths on the battlefield. It's worth checking out. I don't want to talk too much about contemporary views of the battlefield or I'll get in trouble with the moderator.:wink:

PeterT, Bee, JohnW. and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

That is EXACTLY were I was thinking it was!!!! My g-d, I actually remember seeing something!!!! :D

We were there, @PeterT -- we scrambled around there duing cash's tour :smile:

PeterT, JohnW. and infomanpa like this.
  12. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

Gettysburg Greg, PeterT and Bee like this.
  13. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

Correct!

JohnW. and Bee like this.
  14. DixieRifles

DixieRifles 1st Lieutenant

Thanks for help discovering details in these hi-rez photos.

This post isn't open to a discussion of other battlefields but I was reading a book on the Yazoo Pass Expedition and how the Confederates picked the site for Fort Pemberton. Most of the flat delta land was too low to set-up artillery positions especially after the Union army blew the Mississippi levee. However, they found a section of the Tallahatchie River that had high embankments that afforded just enough elevation to get fire down onto the Union gunboats. And the surrounding fields were 4 feet above the flood level.
    Just wanted to throw that in.

15. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

Charles Ezra Sprague, of the 44th New York, had an amusing way of describing it: "The principal feature of the ground there was rocks. Not what they term rocks in prairie states, where a rock is the size that a small boy can throw, but what would have been recognized even in Vermont as rocks - weighing half a ton or more. These were elegant things to get behind and shoot over; we appreciated them fully, for we always had to scoop up our own protection, and never had had ready-made works; ours were custom goods."

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)