Native American Battle at Devil's Den

William

Private
I apologize if this has been discussed before. A search didn't yield any results, but I've read in several places that it is also believe a Native American battle took place near the Gettysburg battlefield and may contribute to the supernatural reports that come from Devil's Den. Does anyone know anything about this?

It seems like wherever projectile points and axe heads are found the first conclusion reached is that there was a battle there.

More likely there was an Indian village nearby or a preferred hunting area. I found a area that was a natural funnel for deer movement and harvested many deer there. I've also found several projectile points with impact fractures that indicate indians figured out what I found thousands of years previous.

dvrmte

Ever wonder why points are found liberally. Were the Indians that careless? Seems that if you spent a half hour making an arrowhead, you might not want to lose it.

Ever wonder why points are found liberally. Were the Indians that careless? Seems that if you spent a half hour making an arrowhead, you might not want to lose it.

I can tell you from years of archery experience unless you are shooting from an elevated position a shot arrow is almost impossible to find once it hits the leaves and grass.
If shooting from an elevated position an arrow that misses the target would stick up in the ground.

I don't want to get too technical but most of the projectile points found are not arrowheads. Bow and arrows were'nt in use until a few thousand years ago and most of the arrows carried by an indian in his quiver were blunts intended for small game.

Early americans used the atlatl for at least 10,000 years before the bow was brought into use.

Most projectile points found are atlatl dart points. The larger points were not usually spear points but knives. Resharpened knives were often converted to projectile points.

Most points found in an area are not necessarily from tribes found in the area when Europeans arrived.

The area I live at was once Cherokee land but I've only found a few points that were actually Cherokee. Most authorities agree the Cherokee were latecomers to the area. They moved from the Great Lakes region and are relatives of the Iroquois. They moved into the south probably around the 13th Century.

Sincerely,
dvrmte

I apologize if this has been discussed before. A search didn't yield any results, but I've read in several places that it is also believe a Native American battle took place near the Gettysburg battlefield and may contribute to the supernatural reports that come from Devil's Den. Does anyone know anything about this?

There are several tales involving Devil's Den that are attributed to it's mysticism. The legend of the Indian skirmish is one of them. One tells that Indian drums can be heard in the area and the Native American Indians favored the area.The parking area has been called an Indian burial ground. Some report the "Battle of the Crows" fought here during which many died. Emmanuel Bushman, from Gettysburg, wrote an article in 1880 about "many unnatural and supernatural sights and sounds" experienced in the area of the Round Tops, that he called the Indian Fields. He recorded that the early settlers had tales of ghosts seen there "war-whoops" could still be heard sometimes at night. In 1884, Bushman wrote again,telling that an ancient tribe had once lived near the site of Devil’s Den, that he believed boulders were part of a tall pyramid that was ruined. He stated the crevices in the rocks showed signs this and that the pyramid had been destroyed by an unknown forceful blast. I personally do not accept the entire tales as documented history...but who knows?

Back