National Vanilla Ice Cream Day, July 23

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today is National Vanilla Ice Cream Day. Vanilla has traditionally been the favorite for Americans. It is good by itself or with different toppings.

What is your favorite topping for Vanilla Ice Cream? Mine is either chocolate syrup or fudge topping.

Some ice cream trivia:

1.53 billon gallons of ice cream are produced in U.S. in a year.

Summer is time of biggest production and sale of ice cream. They start increasing production in March and April and keep it up thru August.

June is supposedly the largest production month of the year.

For Vanilla Ice Cream Day, treat yourself to a big bowl or a giant ice cream cone with vanilla.

I'm not a big ice cream eater, but I certainly enjoy it whenever I eat it. I always think of a waiter we met on an Italian trip. He would run through the various flavors of gelato and sorbetto that he had for dessert. At the end of the list, he'd break into a big smile and his eyebrows would go up and he'd say: "....and.... va-NEEL-ya!" It was irresistible.

I'm not a big ice cream eater, but I certainly enjoy it whenever I eat it. I always think of a waiter we met on an Italian trip. He would run through the various flavors of gelato and sorbetto that he had for dessert. At the end of the list, he'd break into a big smile and his eyebrows would go up and he'd say: "....and.... va-NEEL-ya!" It was irresistible.
Although I have to say that as a kid and teenie I rarely chose vanilla in an icecream parlour. There were always so may interesting flavours (aw, I love your Baskin Robbins, btw) and I always had the impression that vanilla was just the basic stuff - no fruit chunks, no nuts, no chocolate chips, no raisins contained ... just plain icecream. I always thought that vanilla offered not enough for the money - in comparison to the exciting chocolate chip or rum raisin or raspberry cheesecake flavours ...
I had to become a grown-up to appreciate the delicate vanilla flavour that blends so well with fruit or chocolate or whipped cream ...
It can also substitute whipped cream on a cake or pie. Apple pie is most common, but vanilla icecream is equally delicious on plum pie. Aw, what a mouthwatering thread ...

Back