National Vanilla Ice Cream Day, July 23

Blue Bell Creameries Resumes Ice Cream Production After Listeria Crisis
by Khushbu ShahJul 23, 2015, 11:40a

One of the company's four production plants is operational again.

After months of dealing with a deadly listeria crisis, Texas-based Blue Bell Creameries may have its ice cream back on store shelves in the near future. In May, the ice cream company issued an international recall of its products over concerns of a listeria contamination. Blue Bell's ice cream was linked to at least three deaths in a Kansas hospital and additional illnesses in multiple states. The recall forced Blue Bell to lay off nearly 1,450 workers after it stopped production, but things are starting to look up for the company.

According to the Austin American-Statesman, Blue Bell has restarted production at its Alabama facility, where it is currently doing test runs. The company currently has four production facilities, and Blue Bell has not revealed when the other three (located in Texas and Oklahoma) will be operational again. The company notes that all four plants are "being cleaned" and that procedures are being "revised." The paper adds that even though the company is producing ice cream again, there is no way to estimate when the product will hit store shelves again due to "increased scrutiny from state and federal regulators." ....

http://www.eater.com/2015/7/23/9022291/blue-bell-listeria-ice-cream-production

In honor of the day the Mrs. And I drove into Starke and went to Powell's Dairy Freeze for a couple of hot fudge sundaes with vanilla.Powell's is an old fashioned drive in with car hops,we are a little slow in upgrading in the south and on the bank sign across the highway the temperature was 102°,instead of having medium sized ones we ordered large ones.

Wow,I remember the Mr.Softee truck and the Good Humor truck from over 60yrs. Ago.

Never see the Good Humor truck in NYC anymore. I used to see them as a kid once in a while. Mr. Softee is the most popular. There are also these pink frozen yogurt trucks in the city now, too. Never tried that since I rather waste my calories on the real thing than frozen yogurt.

Back