National Park Civil War Series, Black Soldiers

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
A couple of months ago I purchased book while at one of the National Parks. I thought it would make a quick read that night at the motel. It has a bunch of images and I read it in one night. My question is, is this book is the "official" view of the National Parks system? I so, who gets to make this the official view of the National Parks?

I think the book has things that will make most people happy and things that will many people unhappy. for example, was Lee this influential in the decision to accept black soldiers? "The decisive opinion, though, was Robert E. Lee's. The General endorsed black enlistment."

Has anyone else read this short book? If the National Park system gets to decide what the "official" view of the Civil War is, than has that "official" view changed over the years? This does not just impact the subject of black soldiers in the Civil War but the National Park system can also impact how many people see battles and other Civil War subjects.

black.jpg

Henry Gooding: On the Altar of Freedom. Gooding was a corporal in the 54th Massachusetts. He was better educated than others and a good writer.

For example the book state that half the backs in the USCT learned to read and write while in the USCTs. Where did the information come from? Who did the counting? How do I know that the real information should be that by the end of the war half the men in the USCT could read and write? Information presented might include men who could read and write when they joined the USCT.

Back