Restricted National Museum of Civil War Medicine considers removing Confederate flag from logo in the midst of a rebranding campaign

W. Richardson

Captain
Well, take the survey and tell them that.

I did...............

Is the survey to be used to help the Museum decide to keep their logo as it is or to change it?

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

MattL

I fully support the right of the group to do whatever they want with their own logo. I also respectfully disagree with changing it. With that said of all things I could care about, this is pretty far down on the list.

On a related but different context we should all remember that changing the names of things for various reasons is nothing new. I personally am still upset with the shift from "E pluribus unum" to "In God We Trust" in 1956. I'll advocate the change back to the traditional usage in this case, but you will not see me accusing those people of rewriting history or putting it above countless other things far more important than logos and tag lines, purely my humble opinion.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
***Posted as Moderator***
This is obviously a highly-charged subject. Opinions will differ. Please discuss the subject in a civil, respectful manner and avoid modern politics.
Think before you post.

It strikes you call yourself a natural born abolitionist...what are you trying to abolish today? :smile:

Abolish bad feeling feelings between us. What I was trying to say is that I think there's nothing wrong with the Confederate Battle Flag. My attempt at being funny didn't seem to go over well.

W. Richardson

Captain
Yup and a logo or name of a current group is not history, it is the present and something that can in fact be changed (whether I agree with the change or not).

Actually the present becomes history once it stops being the present. Yesterday was, at one time the present, but today yesterday is now history.....................Does that help confuse things.....lol

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

John Winn

Major
Actually the present becomes history once it stops being the present. Yesterday was, at one time the present, but today yesterday is now history.....................Does that help confuse things.....lol

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 323422

As I always say: yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday.

BJ

MattL

How can a museum dedicated to medicine practiced by two armies function without representing both armies fully?

To be clear again, I disagree personally with the change (though support peoples rights to do what I don't agree with), though to answer your question the article mentions the "logo" and "re branding." One could in fact have a WWII Medicine group and not brandish each opposing identifiers on their logos and branding (and in fact I imagine many here might actually agree with that case).

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
You know, what if those who know and understand history take a breather from going right up a wall whenever this apparently untouchable topic comes up? There's a reason this symbol has become a touchstone to firestorms, most of it not faintly related to anyone who took it into battle 150 years ago as actual soldiers. Like it or not it's been usurped and carried in the name of some agendas any historian should find appalling. Don't get upset with me, I didn't do it, @Yankee Brooke didn't do it. If it's been adopted by agendas bearing no relation to where it was in history, solution would be putting pressure on those folks.

Snowbound

Private
To me its an appropriate and benign logo. Who knows where majority attitudes will trend. On his last visit, I took my German cousin to visit the National Museum of Naval Aviation. They have a reproduction ME 262 with a swastika on the tail. He was mildly shocked since this is legally banned in Germany. I find it funny that he loves all things Americana and has a pair of "fuzzy confederate dice" hanging from the rear view mirror of his GT Mustang back home.

damYankee

1st Lieutenant
You know, what if those who know and understand history take a breather from going right up a wall whenever this apparently untouchable topic comes up? There's a reason this symbol has become a touchstone to firestorms, most of it not faintly related to anyone who took it into battle 150 years ago as actual soldiers. Like it or not it's been usurped and carried in the name of some agendas any historian should find appalling. Don't get upset with me, I didn't do it, @Yankee Brooke didn't do it. If it's been adopted by agendas bearing no relation to where it was in history, solution would be putting pressure on those folks.

There is a movement to remove the Washington Monument, The Jefferson Monument where does one draw the line?

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
There is a movement to remove the Washington Monument, The Jefferson Monument where does one draw the line?

Just because people are upset over things that don't make sense, doesn't mean we should dismiss every gripe they have outright.

Reactions: WJC