Restricted National Museum of Civil War Medicine considers removing Confederate flag from logo in the midst of a rebranding campaign

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
Okay, I was reading the other night in Official Correspondence and Reports concerning the flag that was to be for the Medical Tents. These flags were there to help men find their way and rally toward. The Hospital Flag was white background with a yellow border encompassing it. The men might have their regimental flag if that particular hospital served that regiment, but the flag used to draw attention for the men was officially stated. Being Medical Museum, I would particularize the flag do be shown as ordered then officially, and not a whimsical public that cannot waiver.
Lubliner.

Patrick Sulley

Sergeant
It's now getting where no mention of anything Confederate can be made without riling somebody.

Seems to me they could have perhaps substituted a first national for the CBF and maybe avoided the whole racist symbology protest.
You beat me to that point

Patrick Sulley

Sergeant
Yeah, as a natural-born, abolitionist, pro-Union, Yankee who will argue against the Lost Cause all-day long; this is too much. I think the Confederate flag is fine in a historical context. I would say, though, why don't they use the real Flag of the Confederacy instead of the battle Flag? Thankfully, the neo-Nazi's and White Supremacists haven't hijacked that one.
It strikes you call yourself a natural born abolitionist...what are you trying to abolish today? :smile:

W. Richardson

Captain
There we go with the word "offended" again. At what point in my post did I say I was offended by anything? I think people who fly Confederate flags, and throw the license plate on their truck look ridiculous, but I simply giggle at them and move on. Maybe it's because I'm a silly Yankee, and in my experience most of the people who do it here don't even really know much about the Civil War, they just want it now to be controversial, and show everyone where they lean politically. I treat it exactly like a political bumper sticker or other sign, I laugh like, "How cute, you think people actually care bout your political leanings. And so much so you stick it to your vehicle. Or did you think it was supposed to change all our minds? Like 'OMG this guy has this political bumper sticker, my mind is completely reversed now, thank you for showing the error of my previous ways.' "

We judge each other over pretty much everything, why should this be any different?

I do not think you are a silly yankee, you simply feel the way you feel. You feeling that way does not offend me. I too often see things that are silly, cute and ridiculous, like seeing someone being offended by a flag, a name on a building, or a name of a road. For each one that is offended by something, there is another who is not offended, yet some feel they are more entitled, and their feelings or rights trump anothers', but it is how it is.

I do hope sir you do not find my post offensive.................:smile:

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I've never heard that term, "virtue signaling." What does it mean, if anything?

But for those who haven't been to the museum (I've been 3 times), you go through the exhibits in a certain order. A docent will explain a few things at certain points and/or you can ask questions later too. But the order is important and you quickly learn that the policy was, once the enemy was wounded, they were no longer considered "the enemy" but a fallen soldier that needed help - and they have some very good exhibits on that. So throughout the whole thing is THE North and THE South. I don't see how anyone can untwine that. I think the current logo is very appropriate.

This museum also hosts The Blue and The Gray Hospital Association which is a reenacting group with a real MD (a real life trauma Dr) playing a Civil War surgeon. How the heck are any of these groups supposed to pretend they aren't under a Confederate flag?

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
So I would strongly encourage everyone to go take the survey they have. The ask what does the Confederate Flag mean to you. From what I can remember (it was check all that apply), Slavery, Racism, History, Confederate States of America, (maybe a couple of others).

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I do not think you are a silly yankee, you simply feel the way you feel. You feeling that way does not offend me. I too often see things that are silly, cute and ridiculous, like seeing someone being offended by a flag, a name on a building, or a name of a road. For each one that is offended by something, there is another who is not offended, yet some feel they are more entitled, and their feelings or rights trump anothers', but it is how it is.

I do hope sir you do not find my post offensive.................:smile:

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 323365

The only thing I might find offensive is that you called me sir, but you also have no picture or other indication to signal that I am, in fact a lady. So you're forgiven.Although "Brooke" is generally a female name...(still forgiven)

I understand Southerner's attachment to the Confederate flag, it's a part of you're history, and I respect that. I have known a few people, even here, who had family on that side and choose to celebrate that with the flag. I respect that. But I've met way more people here, who only fly the flag because it's controversial, to be a jerk, and nothing more. That I find objectionable. In fact many of them, their ancestors would be rolling in their graves, knowing that their kin are flying a flag of a rebellion that they helped to oppose, in force, just to be a dweeb.

There we go with the word "offended" again. At what point in my post did I say I was offended by anything? I think people who fly Confederate flags, and throw the license plate on their truck look ridiculous, but I simply giggle at them and move on. Maybe it's because I'm a silly Yankee, and in my experience most of the people who do it here don't even really know much about the Civil War, they just want it now to be controversial, and show everyone where they lean politically. I treat it exactly like a political bumper sticker or other sign, I laugh like, "How cute, you think people actually care bout your political leanings. And so much so you stick it to your vehicle. Or did you think it was supposed to change all our minds? Like 'OMG this guy has this political bumper sticker, my mind is completely reversed now, thank you for showing the error of my previous ways.' "

We judge each other over pretty much everything, why should this be any different?

I wasn't aware that the Confederate flag was an indicator of one's political party or one's "political leanings."

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I wasn't aware that the Confederate flag was an indicator of one's political party or one's "political leanings."

Perhaps I should have left that part out, as I can't explain further without going into the forbidden land of Modern Politics.

W. Richardson

Captain
The only thing I might find offensive is that you called me sir, but you also have no picture or other indication to signal that I am, in fact a lady. So you're forgiven.Although "Brooke" is generally a female name...(still forgiven)

I understand Southerner's attachment to the Confederate flag, it's a part of you're history, and I respect that. I have known a few people, even here, who had family on that side and choose to celebrate that with the flag. I respect that. But I've met way more people here, who only fly the flag because it's controversial, Edited and nothing more. That I find objectionable. In fact many of them, their ancestors would be rolling in their graves, knowing that their kin are flying a flag of a rebellion that they helped to oppose, in force, just to be a dweeb.

I can find being called a sir when in fact you are female as being offensive. I can agree that there are people here and throughout the world who fly the flag cause they find it as only being controversial. Edited.

These people Edited. that you have met here, are they people you know personally? Or did those people you have met here tell you they fly it because it is objectionable? Or those people you have met here, been judged to be Edited. by you?

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
As I try to wrench this discussion back to the National Museum of Civil War Medicine, here is the link for the survey. It is their main page, and every few seconds there is a new feature. The survey will come up in a few seconds and only takes about 2 minutes and you can put, in your own words, in a couple of places, why things should or shouldn't change. You have until 9/1 at 11:00 pm for the survey to end.

W. Richardson

Captain
So I would strongly encourage everyone to go take the survey they have. The ask what does the Confederate Flag mean to you. From what I can remember (it was check all that apply), Slavery, Racism, History, Confederate States of America, (maybe a couple of others).

Confederate Heritage
History
Honor to those who fell under that battle flag, including my ancestor.

The Confederate Flag that is the subject of this thread never represented the Confederate States of America. It was a Battle Flag that men marched to their deaths under. There were 3 Confederate States of America National Flags.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Confederate Heritage
History
Honor to those who fell under that battle flag, including my ancestor.

The Confederate Flag that is the subject of this thread never represented the Confederate States of America. It was a Battle Flag that men marched to their deaths under. There were 3 Confederate States of America National Flags.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 323388

Well, take the survey and tell them that.

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I can find being called a sir when in fact you are female as being offensive. I can agree that there are people here and throughout the world who fly the flag cause they find it as only being controversial. I also know of people who take a knee during the National Anthem, because they know it will get them attention, but that's another issue for another time......lol.

These people (Jerks) that you have met here, are they people you know personally? Or did those people (Jerks) you have met here tell you they fly it because it is objectionable? Or those people (Jerks) you have met here, been judged to be jerks, by you?

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 323385

I only go by what my small sample of people I've spoken to on the matter have said. A lot of it has been Facebook posts of "friends" there. (When I say "here" I mean where I live in PA, not the forum, btw)

W. Richardson

Captain
I only go by what my small sample of people I've spoken to on the matter have said. A lot of it has been Facebook posts of "friends" there. (When I say "here" I mean where I live in PA, not the forum, btw)

Okay, when someone says here I usually assume they mean "here" as in CWT. Sorry for the confusion. PA, is a beautiful state btw. I have visited the Gettysburg area 5 times. Would love to live there one day.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries