Restricted National Museum of Civil War Medicine considers removing Confederate flag from logo in the midst of a rebranding campaign

rebelatsea

1st Lieutenant
I have no objection to the proposal providing that:
1) ALL flags are removed from anywhere in the premises.
2) ALL references to North and South, Union and Confederate, armies and navies, are removed
3) Locations are referred to by their geographic terms ie XX town in YY state.
4) All persons are referred solely by their medical title if they have one
4) The title of the museum is changed to read : National Museum of American Medicine during the years 1860 -1865.

Otherwise LEAVE THE B*****Y THING ALONE.

“And the worry becomes, ‘Am I actually alienating an entire audience that might have come into the museum otherwise?’”

People that are so averse to confederate imagery that they wouldn't visit a museum that uses it in the logo probably aren't the kind of people who are going to visit a Civil War Museum in the first place. If they remove the battle flag in the hopes that it will boost attendance I expect they'll be disappointed.

As a Northerner, I'd say this is too much. I think the Confederate flag is fine in a historical context. However, I wonder why they don't use the real Flag of the Confederacy instead of the battle Flag? I don't think there's anything wrong with the battle flag. I think the problem some people have is that some modern hate groups have also adopted it as a symbol and because of this people are confused over its true meaning.

I hope this revision clarifies what I'm trying to say. It is not my intention to upset anyone. As proof of my goodwill here's me playing Dixie for my Southern friends.

Last edited:

W. Richardson

Captain
This one is a bit too far for me.

After all, there were both Union and Confederate surgeons and medical practices.

The current logo makes sense.

Well UB, get use to it cause it's going to get worse. This is what happens when we give them an Inch, a shoulder to cry on. Everything is now racist or offensive. Those two words use to mean something, but now psssst.........Nothing now but mere crutches to support a false agenda.

Many here tried to tell people this is were it would end up, but ohhh nooo we were over reacting.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
Confed-American Flag - Thumbnail.jpg

W. Richardson

Captain
Yeah, as a natural-born, abolitionist, pro-Union, Yankee who will argue against the Lost Cause all-day long; this is too much. I think the Confederate flag is fine in a historical context. I would say, though, why don't they use the real Flag of the Confederacy instead of the battle Flag? Thankfully, the neo-Nazi's and White Supremacists haven't hijacked that one.

It will not matter which flag is used..................everything is racist or racism, it's their agenda. This is what happens when one closes their eyes to what they are doing, cause they are not doing it to what "matters" to you.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

Last edited:

W. Richardson

Captain
I agree with all of you, the flag thing has gone way too far. I'm absolutely okay with it being utilized in a historical context, such as this. If you want to fly it on your property or plaster it on your truck, more power too you, but don't get offended when I, and many other people judge you for it.

And do not get offended for being judged for what you allow to happen, cause you feel offended. If you honestly believe this will stop at the Confederate Flags, you are really miss-judging your friends that you have supported in their efforts. And as to me getting offended by anything, nope, cause I could care less what you or anyone thinks of me. Only God will judge me.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

Last edited:

W. Richardson

Captain
“And the worry becomes, ‘Am I actually alienating an entire audience that might have come into the museum otherwise?’”

People that are so averse to confederate imagery that they wouldn't visit a museum that uses it in the logo probably aren't the kind of people who are going to visit a Civil War Museum in the first place. If they remove the battle flag in the hopes that it will boost attendance I expect they'll be disappointed.

The problem is, those people who are so easily offended, don't have a clue to what a Museum is, they care nothing about history. Their "agenda" is their God.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

John Winn

Major
Well UB, get use to it cause it's going to get worse. This is what happens when we give them an Inch, a shoulder to cry on. Everything is now racist or offensive. Those two words use to mean something, but now psssst.........Nothing now but mere crutches to support a false agenda.

Many here tried to tell people this is were it would end up, but ohhh nooo we were over reacting.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 323312

That's exactly what happened here. Way back when I was a tenderfoot here I simply said one should be careful about imposing rules as such set precedent and one needs to be careful not to take actions that might lead to unintended consequences. I was attacked personally and made to seem a fool (e.g. one departed member here posted an absurd example of a "slippery slope" fallacy which he said was the same as what I was saying). Many said it would never lead to bashing the founders or removing flags from museums. Well, it did. No apologies were forthcoming, though.

Just look at what's happening on college campuses and in a number of cities these days. The new thing is intolerance of anything contrary to a certain radical left agenda. There's also a movement to focus on all the negative things this country and our government have done and react like it's some sort of cover-up conspiracy to hide how horrible we have all been. It bothers me a great deal to put it lightly.

I've made it a policy to stay out of threads like this but somehow I just had to say something. So there.

W. Richardson

Captain
That's exactly what happened here. Way back when I was a tenderfoot here I simply said one should be careful about imposing rules as such set precedent and one needs to be careful not to take actions that might lead to unintended consequences. I was attacked personally and made to seem a fool (e.g. one departed member here posted an absurd example of a "slippery slope" fallacy which he said was the same as what I was saying). Many said it would never lead to bashing the founders or removing flags from museums. Well, it did. No apologies were forthcoming, though.

Just look at what's happening on college campuses and in a number of cities these days. The new thing is intolerance of anything contrary to one's personal beliefs. On the other hand, there's also a movement to focus on all the negative things this country and our government have done and react like it's some sort of cover-up conspiracy to hide how horrible we have all been. It bothers me a great deal to put it lightly.

I've made it a policy to stay out of threads like this but somehow I just had to say something. So there.

No never stay silent, that is what too many have already done on this subject. They figured, hey it's not effecting what I care about, so why should I say anything. Then it get's to be more than even they can bargain for, and they speak up, only to realize it's too little too late and now the things they care about are under attack. If anyone here is still blind as to what is really happening, and what is next, is only blind by choice.

To those who doubted us when we told you where this would go..................and they know who they are...............Shame on you.

So never stay silent....................

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries

Kurt G

Sergeant Major
The Civil War Trust division of the American Battlefield Trust still shows both Union and Confederate flags on their emblem . I wonder if that will change ? I will support them no matter what they do because I am a strong believer in their cause .

Yankee Brooke

First Sergeant
Forum Host
And do not get offend for being judge for what you allow to happen, cause you feel offended. If you honestly believe this will stop at the Confederate Flags, you are really miss-judging your friends that you have supported in their efforts. And as to me getting offended by anything, nope, cause I could care less what you or anyone thinks of me. Only God will judge me.

Respectfully,
William

One Nation,
Two countries
View attachment 323318

There we go with the word "offended" again. At what point in my post did I say I was offended by anything? I think people who fly Confederate flags, and throw the license plate on their truck look ridiculous, but I simply giggle at them and move on. Maybe it's because I'm a silly Yankee, and in my experience most of the people who do it here don't even really know much about the Civil War, they just want it now to be controversial, and show everyone where they lean politically. I treat it exactly like a political bumper sticker or other sign, I laugh like, "How cute, you think people actually care bout your political leanings. And so much so you stick it to your vehicle. Or did you think it was supposed to change all our minds? Like 'OMG this guy has this political bumper sticker, my mind is completely reversed now, thank you for showing the error of my previous ways.' "

We judge each other over pretty much everything, why should this be any different?

Robin Lesjovitch

Sergeant
It's now getting where no mention of anything Confederate can be made without riling somebody.

Seems to me they could have perhaps substituted a first national for the CBF and maybe avoided the whole racist symbology protest.
It seems to me that the flag displayed is not a real Confederate flag. I would call it a Confederate Veterans flag. The sort of flag a veteran might purchase from a northern supplier after the war. The first National Flag would have been better.