National Moldy Cheese Day, Oct, 9

Unfortunately when I go visit my daughter and son-in-law, the quickest way is turning off from I-5 (which I hate to drive) onto US 199 at Grant's Pass, to cut over to US 101. That means that although I get to enjoy the Redwoods, I miss Central Point and the Rogue Creamery.

However, now that they have moved from Petaluma to Sonoma, going via I-5 won't be quite so far out of the way. Just almost. Next time, I'll go one way via I-5 and try that cheese!

The last time I drove to Sonoma, I took I-5 and stayed overnight in Grants Pass. Unfortunately my alarm didn't work and I slept until almost noon, so I didn't have time to look up the Rogue Creamery. I went down again last August and was going to drive, but the forest fire smoke in southern OR and far northern CA was awful, so I flew. I got an overdose of smoke last year, and it seems to have caused permanent damage.

Next time I'll go in late May, early June, before fire season starts! Rather than take I-5, I'll go as far as Central Point, visit the Rogue Creamery, and then backtrack to US 199 at Grants Pass.

BTW, if mold grows on hard cheese, just trim it off and the cheese will be fine. Wrap the remaining cheese in cheesecloth instead of plastic to keep it dry and discourage mold growth.

What happened to Roquefort? Another moldy cheese, unique to a small area of southern France, and made from sheep's milk!

I did find a candidate for the moldiest cheese in the world...Blue Brain Cheese!

I do NOT know who decided to eat this but it does appear to be a real gourmet item - said to have a fruitlike flavor when young and a richer, spicy flavor when older. (I don't think I will ever know...!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did find a candidate for the moldiest cheese in the world...Blue Brain Cheese!

I do NOT know who decided to eat this but it does appear to be a real gourmet item - said to have a fruitlike flavor when young and a richer, spicy flavor when older. (I don't think I will ever know...!)
I will try just about anything,but i would seriously have to take a few deep breaths and think really hard about trying this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back