National Moldy Cheese Day, Oct, 9

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today is National Moldy Cheese Day. This is cheese where mold is encouraged to grow. The two classic types are Camembert and Blue Cheese.

Camembert was named by Napoleon in 1855 when he first tasted the cheese. He named it for village where it originated, Camembert.

Blue Cheese has 2 popular varieties, Stilton and Gorgonzola.

Stilton is only produced in 8 dairies all located in counties of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire. Two kinds are produced, blue and white.

Gorgonzola Cheese originated in the area of Milan, Italy. It is usually aged between 3 and 4 months.

Blue Cheese Dip

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix mayonnaise and sour cream in small bowl until well blended. Add blue cheese, parsley, onion and lemon juice. Stir until well blended. Cover in refrigerator up to 4 hours.

This makes a delicious dip.

Oooo, I love Camembert! Give me a warm crusty baguette and some Camembert and that's a meal for me! (Actually, for about a month when my now-husband and I backpacked through France, it was a meal for me! It was about all we could afford.) Makes my mouth water just writing that.:smile:

I'm picky about my blue cheese. I like it, but only the milder versions of it. Anything too strong and I'd rather not eat it.

The Rogue Creamery - I can sing their worthy praises again! :laugh: They make the best moldy cheese in the Pacific Northwest. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and....moldy cheese! (A nice spring day wouldn't be bad neither...) Here's Rogue Blues:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rogue Creamery - I can sing their worthy praises again! :laugh: They make the best moldy cheese in the Pacific Northwest. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and....moldy cheese! (A nice spring day wouldn't be bad neither...) Here's Rogue Blues:
Oh Diane, how mean to post that picture when I have no such treat on hand. I want to lick my laptop screen. ( But I won't, promise!) I can just taste that creamy, sharp deliciousness. May have to run to the grocery store!:hungry:
  • :hungry:

Love any kind of blue cheese. Roquefort is probably my favorite. Sheep's milk and very nutty flavor. Think Gorgonzola, but a bit more aged and more solid.

I even like generic blue cheese on things like eggs and pizza. One of the things I do is to get to my local grocery store and get about a 1/4 lb of it from its salad bar at $4.99 a lb. Beats the normal $12-20 a lb if you get it in the cheese section (same with Parmesan, btw) :wink:

Yep - simply the best I've ever eaten. This year's release is just now out so I'll have to make my trek over there and stock up (after I get a loan on the house to pay for it). I've been on vacation so wasn't able to get over there yet; will go tomorrow.

I figure talk of blue cheese is a fine way to make my promotion post. Now, if I only had that toaster oven.

Yep - simply the best I've ever eaten. This year's release is just now out so I'll have to make my trek over there and stock up (after I get a loan on the house to pay for it). I've been on vacation so wasn't able to get over there yet; will go tomorrow.

I figure talk of blue cheese is a fine way to make my promotion post. Now, if I only had that toaster oven.

Well, much congrats on your promotion.

Hey, John Winn, I just got promoted, as well. Mouldy cheese, all around!

Back