National Memorial Reunion and Peace Jubilee, Vicksburg, Miss

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
In October 1917, the second largest Blue Gray reunion took place at Vicksburg Miss. Billed as the National Memorial Reunion & Peace Jubilee. This was a MASSIVE undertaking. It brought together veterans of the Union army of the Tennessee and the Confederate Army of Mississippi. Over 12,000 veterans were accommodated on the battlefield. They were housed, feed and all other amenities for there comfort. It was a huge success thanks to the help of the US Army, Boy Scouts and many other groups. The attached PDF tells the whole story of just what it took to pull this off. Its a great read.

1917 reunion.png

Attachments

• generalreportofn01usqu.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 129
In October 1917, the second largest Blue Gray reunion took place at Vicksburg Miss. Billed as the National Memorial Reunion & Peace Jubilee. This was a MASSIVE undertaking. It brought together veterans of the Union army of the Tennessee and the Confederate Army of Mississippi. Over 12,000 veterans were accommodated on the battlefield. They were housed, feed and all other amenities for there comfort. It was a huge success thanks to the help of the US Army, Boy Scouts and many other groups. The attached PDF tells the whole story of just what it took to pull this off. Its a great read.

View attachment 270794
I always enjoy watching this old newsreel of the Blue & Gray veterans returning to Vicksburg 54 years later.

Somewhere, I have an DVD of this event (and subsequent reunions) with additional footage and commentary.
I'm thinking that footage came out during the late 1930's when 'talking pictures' were becoming the norm.

I do remember buying this DVD in the Park's gift shop around 2006.

There are several other videos but they want money for them unless someone knows where to find them without paying. I looked on YouTube but didn't see them.

There are several other videos but they want money for them unless someone knows where to find them without paying. I looked on YouTube but didn't see them.
Yeah I noticed that as well.

The entire videos used to be easily available on youtube.

I hadn't looked for these in a year or two, but you're right . . . these videos have disappeared.

Unless one is willing to pay . . .

View attachment 270794
I believe this large event was in 1915 rather than 1917. Attached is a thread I posted showing a brochure with beautiful map celebrating the event. It was in my g-grandfather’s things so I believe he attended as he lived only about 50 miles away.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/vicksburg-national-peace-jubilee-oct-1915.80885/#post-594734

Thanks for sharing this awesome story and video. I was very impressed with the video! The timing of this will being a different vision to our CWT Tour Vicksburg 2019.

Back