National Eat A Peach Day, August 22

Another use for 180 proof grain neutral spirits is when then bing cherry harvest comes in we will take a quart mason jar and fill it up with the cherries and then fill the jar up with the alcohol.we forget about them until Christmas eve and all the adults eat them.it makes for a great Christmas party.

I'm not a huge fan of peaches- I've been told that fresh peaches practically drip with juice and are absolutely delicious- but most of the peaches I've tried have been watery or mushy.

I do however, enjoy peach pie! Here's a recipe I found online. Apparently, it's the best peach pie recipe ever.

Grandmother’s Pie Crust Recipe
For 2 crust pie:

2 C. all purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
¾ C. shortening
1/3 C. ice cold water

Sift flour and salt together. Cut in shortening with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle water slowly into mixture. Combine ingredients with hands; working quickly to form a ball. Divide into 2 parts, trying not to handle it too much. With floured hands, turn onto floured surface and roll into a circle, approximately 14” diameter. With a knife, cut decorative slits in the top crust. Fold crusts into ¼’s to easily transfer to pie pans.

Grandmother’s Peach Pie
9 peaches – peeled and thinly sliced
1 ½ C. sugar
8 dashes cinnamon
5 dashes nutmeg
1 dash salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. flour

Fold above ingredients together and pour into 9” pie shell. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into small pieces and place on top of filling. Cut steam slits in top crust and place over filling. Crimp edges. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into tiny bits (again) and place on outside of top crust, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; then turn oven down to 350 and bake for another 30 – 40 minutes until golden.

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2011/08/23/peach-pie/

View attachment 77332
Hanna, my friend, I don't know if I can judge the best peach pie recipe ever, because I never ran into a piece of peach pie that I didn't like. I just liked some pieces better than other pieces. ...At least I can say that about the real deal: Fresh baked with fresh peach slices made into a pie.
I sure am glad you gave us the recipe you found online. I'll bet a whole bunch of other recipes will now precipitate out of thin cyberspace like so many dew drops!

Okay, folks--Our friend, Miss Hanna, has posted a recipe. I don't bake, so I can't reciprocate. But I know a bunch of you can. Let's see those delicious recipes!!!

Now, Hanna, I've just got to ask you: Did you ever eat a peach fresh off the tree? You say you're not a huge fan of peaches and I respect that, but it makes me wonder what kind of peaches you sampled. Maybe you just never had the real deal.

I'm not judging your tastes or even really questioning you. I just want to be sure you have kept yourself open to one of the finest delights that God ever put on a tree!

Last edited:
No one remembers how the phrase " Eat A Peach " was coined? The Allman Brothers album, put out after Duane's death- cover featured a peach on a truck. There was a rumor the truck involved in hi fatal motorcycle crash was a peach truck ( I believed it ) hence the name of the album but it's probably a quote.

eat.jpg

" I'm hitting a lick for peace — and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace. But you can't help the revolution, because there's just evolution. I understand the need for a lot of changes in the country, but I believe that as soon as everybody can just see a little bit better, and get a little hipper to what's going on, they're going to change it. Everybody will — not just the young people. Everybody is going to say, 'Man, this stinks. I cannot tolerate the smell of this thing anymore. Let's eliminate it and get straight with ourselves.' I believe if everybody does it for themselves, it'll take care of itself "

Allman's comment was a reference to T. S. Eliot's poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.
Wiki

Ooops, I'm late to the party, but I'm bringing something to drink.
A 1950s/1960s party favourite: "Kullerpfirsich" (= Rolling peach). Those of you who were in Germany at that time might still remember it. It was regarded as something very glamourous :wink:

Ingredients:
1 fresh ripe peach
0.37 l / 14.25 oz sparkling wine

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops, I'm late to the party, but I'm bringing something to drink.
A 1950s/1960s party favourite: "Kullerpfirsich" (= Rolling peach). Those of you who were in Germany at that time might still remember it. It was regarded as something very glamourous :wink:

View attachment 77463
Ingredients:
1 fresh ripe peach
0.37 l / 14.25 oz sparkling wine

Wash and pad dry a ripe peach. Pierce the peach all around with a fork, several times. Put in a large, globe like glass. Fill up with ice cold sparkling wine. It is important for the sparkling wine to be very cold. Otherwise the peach is not rolling around. The peach should have enough space to move around freely. Serve immediately. The peach starts rolling around itself. It stops if all the carbon dioxide from the sparkling wine is exhausted. Serve with small spoons and forks and a dessert plate.

Ooo! This sounds good! I'm thinking even a nice dry Riesling would work well with a pierced peach!

Since I will be away this weekend, thought I go on and post about peaches for National Eat A Peach Day.

The peach originated in China and has been cultivated for 1000s of years. The peach tree is considered the tree of life and peaches are symbols of immortality and unity.

Peaches traveled to Persia and were discovered by Alexander the Great. Greek and Romans enjoyed them. The Romans cultivated them and transported them North to other European countries in their Empire.

Spaniards brought them to South America. The French brought them to Louisiana. The English brought them to Jamestown.

Columbus brought them to America on his 2nd and 3rd voyages.

However when I eat a peach I always think of Georgie Peaches. Peaches were originally planted in St. Augustine in the 1500s.. Franciscan Monks then took them to St Simon and Cumberland Islands off Georgia . By the mid-1770s Cherokee Indians were cultivating them in Georgia.

Raphael Moses, a Georgia planter, of Columbus, Georgia started to market peaches . He is credited with being the first to ship and sell peaches to markets outside of Georgia. The first Georgia peaches were shipped to New York between 1858 and 1860.

Georgia earned the "peach state" designation during the three decades after the Civil War.

Have a peach on National Peach Day, August 22.

Information from:

http://gapeaches.org/about-us/rich-history-of-ga-peach/
Reminds me of Duane Allman.

Ditto! Love peach pies, cobblers (with crust not cake), jams, and anything else with peaches. I grew up with my Southern Mama making all of this. She canned the peaches and during the winter she made peach desserts. Mom didn't use recipes and I'm amazed how good everything turned out. But she grew up in the forties where recipes were passed down and she learned from my grandmother who also was a wonderful cook. My husband and I planted two peach trees two years ago. Hopefully, they will supply us with some juicy peaches next spring.

Back