National Corn Fritter Day, July 16

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Today is National Corn Fritter Day. Corn Fritters are a traditional food of the South. They consist of corn kernels, eggs, flour, milk and melted butter. They can be fried or baked. Corn Fritters can also be served with jam, fruit, honey, maple syrup and cream.

They are a very delicious treat. A simple recipe for corn fritters from "A Taste of Home":

1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 egg, separated
3/4 cup corn
oil for deep frying

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and paprika. In another bowl, beat egg yolk; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture and mix well. Beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into flour mixture.

In a deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.

Makes 2 to 4 servings.

There are some great fritter recipes at: "19th Century Historical Tidbits on Corn Fritters"
http://historicaltidbits.blogspot.com/2012/07/corn-fritters.html

For a change my wife will make corn fritters using creamed corn to make the batter.it makes it somewhat different then just using kernel corn.they get a different texture and taste really good.

Our neighbor has a cattle ranch and each year he plants about 5 acres of silver queen corn which will be ready to harvest about aug.1st.he invites us over and we usually pick two wheelbarrow loads of corn and then spend the rest of the day shucking, and creaming corn so we have to get creative in using that much corn but it all goes in the freezer.

I once was asked to make Corn fritters for a wedding reception for about 150 people, as the family had served them when they had a restaurant years ago and everybody loved them then. I asked if any one had kept the recipe so I could make them as authentic as possible. The secret family recipe was forwarded to me: Bisquick, milk, canned creamed corn and canned niblets. LOL They were served with maple syrup and everyone loved them

I once was asked to make Corn fritters for a wedding reception for about 150 people, as the family had served them when they had a restaurant years ago and everybody loved them then. I asked if any one had kept the recipe so I could make them as authentic as possible. The secret family recipe was forwarded to me: Bisquick, milk, canned creamed corn and canned niblets. LOL They were served with maple syrup and everyone loved them

Bisquick and milk is the favorite frying batter of many many places, including any place that sells anything on a stick or deep fried candy bars at a fair :smile:

Works pretty well too, because it coats well and expands upon frying, but...

Bisquick and milk is the favorite frying batter of many many places, including any place that sells anything on a stick or deep fried candy bars at a fair :smile:

Works pretty well too, because it coats well and expands upon frying, but...
it would not be my first choice!:cautious:

Today is National Corn Fritter Day. Corn Fritters are a traditional food of the South. They consist of corn kernels, eggs, flour, milk and melted butter. They can be fried or baked. Corn Fritters can also be served with jam, fruit, honey, maple syrup and cream.

They are a very delicious treat. A simple recipe for corn fritters from "A Taste of Home":

1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 egg, separated
3/4 cup corn
oil for deep frying

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and paprika. In another bowl, beat egg yolk; stir in corn. Add to flour mixture and mix well. Beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into flour mixture.

In a deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.

Makes 2 to 4 servings.

There are some great fritter recipes at: "19th Century Historical Tidbits on Corn Fritters"
http://historicaltidbits.blogspot.com/2012/07/corn-fritters.html
Mom's corn fritters were my favorite growing up. Breakfast or dinner. And her apple fritters didn't suck either.

Back