Nathan Bedford Forrest Calls for an End to the War Against Suspected Klan Members Oct. 1868

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
The Democratic paper The New York World published this excerpt from a letter from Nathan Bedfor Forrest calling for an end to the efforts of Gov. Brownlow to suppress the Ku Klux Klan.

World
Tuesday, Oct 06, 1868
New York, NY
Page: 11

end1.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
This is an interesting letter, on at least a couple of levels. Forrest (or his secretary) is writing very eloquently. I've always been led to believe he spoke in colloquialisms and that he was a poor speller. However, I am about the furthest thing from an expert on Bedford, so I might be totally mistaken about all that. Do we know who wrote for the General?

Somehow the essential message "that d___ lyin' governor better leave me the h___ alone" came out very eloquently.

Thanks for posting the clips, Pat.

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Yes, this is essentially somebody dolling up Forrest's speech but it's essentially what he believed as near as my beady little eyes can tell this morning. (Hard to read!) Forrest wanted the government of Brownlow off his back and also wanted the Federal government to know peace was desired - Thomas was cocking a wary eye too much in Forrest's general direction - but he also did not want to put down the club he had behind his back, the klan. He was really fearful Brownlow's government would lead to a fighting war.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
This is an interesting letter, on at least a couple of levels. Forrest (or his secretary) is writing very eloquently. I've always been led to believe he spoke in colloquialisms and that he was a poor speller. However, I am about the furthest thing from an expert on Bedford, so I might be totally mistaken about all that. Do we know who wrote for the General?

Somehow the essential message "that d___ lyin' governor better leave me the h___ alone" came out very eloquently.

Thanks for posting the clips, Pat.
I am unfamiliar with his writing, beyond what I post from the newspapers. Anyone else know if this rings true or if he may have used someone else to write his speeches?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)