Forrest Nathan Bedford Forrest and Mary Ann Montgomery

tmh10

Major
The legend of Nathan Bedford Forrest began long before the start of the American Civil War. Although there are a number of differing accounts of the events that took place in the summer of 1845, Bedford did meet his future wife in a notable and romantic way. The story illustrates that even in his early 20’s, Bedford displayed the character, chivalry, and powerful personality that would later propel him to become one of the most successful and feared cavalry commanders of the Civil War.

On an August Sunday, Forrest met the daughter of a Presbyterian minister, Mary Ann Montgomery, and her mother while they were on their way to church. The Montgomery’s buggy had broken down while crossing a stream. A couple of the local young men were on the river bank laughing and teasing Mary Ann and her mother. Bedford rode up on his horse, saw what had happened, and dismounted. Immediately he waded across the stream and carried Mary Ann to safety and then rescued her mother. Deciding that the boisterous jokesters needed to be taught a lesson, Bedford crossed the stream again and proceeded to thrash the young men.

After properly introducing himself, Bedford asked permission to call on Mary Ann. Impressed with his gallantry Mrs. Montgomery agreed. Bedford and Mary Ann were married six weeks later on September 25, 1845. And so began the life long love affair that would become part of the legend of General Nathan Bedford Forrest.

http://www.johnpaulstrain.com/art/mary-ann.htm

Thanks,Ted
I had vaguely remembered that from somewhere.Probably,Lytles"Bedfrord Forrest and His Critter Company".It got me to thinking how Forrest and Lee might have got on,working together.It made me think Lee would have been the one commander Forrest might have actually respected.

Good read Ted, thanks for posting. There are two different accounts of when Bedford married Mary. One has them married six weeks later in Sept, of '45 the other says they were married in April of '46. Have read both accounts in N B F bios, not sure which is right.

Also, supposedly when Bedford called on Mary Ann, those same two young men were on her porch to see her and he ran them both off again. Asked her to marry at their first meeting/date but she held out until the third session. One of my favorite N B F stories.

This is one of my favorites, too! Forrest showed up for his date with Mary Ann, and there were those two jokers sitting in her parlor! They'd overheard him make the date and were there deliberately. One even bragged he was studying for the ministry. We're better'n you, Bedford! But then - it was like the scene in Sgt York where Alvin's competition for the girl shows up and she goes to get lemonade...Where'd he go? Don't know - reckon he forgot he had an appointment! They took off - and that's when Mary Ann made her appearance. :wink: Forrest proposed right then. He scowled down the road at the two men and said if she picked one of them she'd always be finding herself stuck in a creek somewhere!

Thanks,Ted
I had vaguely remembered that from somewhere.Probably,Lytles"Bedfrord Forrest and His Critter Company".It got me to thinking how Forrest and Lee might have got on,working together.It made me think Lee would have been the one commander Forrest might have actually respected.

Considering how well he and Taylor got along, I'd say you were right.

Forrest almost erased his wife from the records trying to protect her after the war. In his semi-autobiography you'd never know he was married or had children. Everyone who saw them together were surprised at how the fierce cavalryman always deferred to her. He called her 'my guardian angel'. In later years he developed a sweet tooth that alarmed her. One meal he reached for the pie and she admonished him to wait, his supper was already prepared. He drew back his fork and gave the guest a wry grin. "I know she means it for my well being but I do believe she is starving me to death!" She explained her husband had an 'unnatural' craving for sweets of late and it worried her. She was right to be worried. It was diabetes.

Nathanb1,
I've run across the title - not the whole thing - of the pie that Forrest apparently liked best, maybe even got Mary Ann's fork across his knuckles over! The title is "Mrs. Forrest's Special Molasses Pie" from the Forrest family recipes. :hungry:Now, I want to find the whole of that! (Not to mention the cookbook...) Oh, the Mrs Forrest is Mother Forrest.

Nathanb1,
I've run across the title - not the whole thing - of the pie that Forrest apparently liked best, maybe even got Mary Ann's fork across his knuckles over! The title is "Mrs. Forrest's Special Molasses Pie" from the Forrest family recipes. :hungry:Now, I want to find the whole of that! (Not to mention the cookbook...) Oh, the Mrs Forrest is Mother Forrest.

We find that and I'm going to start making molasses pies! :smile: Good work! Our lives are....almost...complete!

We find that and I'm going to start making molasses pies! :smile: Good work! Our lives are....almost...complete!
Never heard of the molasses pies, but knew a lady that made a molasses cake. It was in two layers with home made apple butter in between the layers. She said it was an old family cake that dated from civil war times.

Never heard of the molasses pies, but knew a lady that made a molasses cake. It was in two layers with home made apple butter in between the layers. She said it was an old family cake that dated from civil war times.

We need to put Donna on finding that recipe. I love apple butter. :smile:

Back