MS Natchez City Cemetery, Mississippi

@luinrina, spectacular images !

As a former Natchezian, I can honestly say the Natchez Cemetery is a top three "must see" when one is visiting
the Oldest City on the Mississippi River.

I hope you have a chance to come back and spend a little more time at our Mississippi sites !

( BTW . . . the Natchez Cemetery is a perfect Deep South version of the old Dark Shadows Gothic Vampire TV show).

I know, I know . . . only the old folks know what I'm talking about .

:smile coffee:

Did or not Natchez surrender to the Union forces without any attempt at defence ? Is this why for so long the city was branded as a city of treason to the Confederacy? This is understable considering the cities which did endure as with Atlanta,and Vicksburg.Did Tallahassee,Fl, resist or just also surrender since it was the last capital city to be taken? I failed to mention New Orleans,the first major city to fail to the Feds,was it not fought over by the Union Navy?
From what the guides in the three house tours I did said: Yes, Natchez almost immediately surrendered to the Union. They were against secession and were thus glad to be back in the Union without getting their city/houses destroyed. I can't tell you about Tallahassee though. But yes, New Orleans was captured by the Union Navy.

Natchez Cemetery is a top three "must see" when one is visiting
the Oldest City on the Mississippi River.
I would agree to that. Where I started off gate 1, the cemetery didn't look that spectacular, but when I got to plots 2 and 3, that was quite something else. I really liked being there and next time it'll be with more time and not in a cloak-and-dagger like fashion. lol

Yeah, but I didn't stay long or checked anything out really. It was raining buckets. I only stopped at the saloon and asked about the ceiling.
Did you get a chance to visit or drive through the National Cemetery?

Did you get a chance to visit or drive through the National Cemetery?
Yes, I did. I had the same problem though - I hadn't looked up who was buried there before going. By chance I found out a marker that said MoH recipient Wilson Brown was buried in that cemetery (with grave ID) so I went looking for him. And thus discovered the section where apparently most Civil War soldiers were buried.
IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4941.JPG

Yes, I did. I had the same problem though - I hadn't looked up who was buried there before going. By chance I found out a marker that said MoH recipient Wilson Brown was buried in that cemetery (with grave ID) so I went looking for him. And thus discovered the section where apparently most Civil War soldiers were buried.
View attachment 333319
View attachment 333318
Very nice. Nice weather too. No buckets of water. :D

Back