• It's Ok - something to read

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Good - am enjoing reading it

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Wow - really interesting

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"We formed a battle, three Regiment front. All this time heavy cannonading was going on at our right and it kept coming down the line" Cpl George W. Morris 81st Indiana, Kirby's Brigade

"We found ourselfs in plain view of their works. As soon as they saw us they began to shell us. We were ordered forward a short distance where we were sheltered by ther brow of a hill where we;re ordered to lay down." Sgt. Samuel C. Broughton 21st Illinois, Kirby Brigade

ad29004v.jpg

Soldiers and Civilians watching the Battle of Nashville Dec. 15th 1864

"The Citizens of Nashville were out by the thousands, strung along on the works and on the hill, witnessing the mighty conflict" W.A. Keesy 64th Ohio Conrad's Brigade

==================================================

To the west Federal forces are pushing toward the bend in the confederate line. From the bend anchord by redoubt 1 the line run south, along the eastern side of the Hillsboro pike.

"We had to march for some distance under a galling fire from the enemy before we could get our battery in postion. Our battery was ordered in postion on high ground in plain view of two rebel bateries, one to our right and the other directly in front about 240 yards distant, which were doing there best to disloge the Union forces and several men and horses were killed before we could get our battery in postion. My gun , a 12 lb Napolean was located about eight feet to the right of a large brick house."

"after the command fire... a villey from the rebel batteries cased the the # 1 cannoner to become terror stricken, He dumped his sponge staff and ran behind the brick house. His terror soread to the others cannoneers, who also fled and neither command or entreatry could move them to return to their gun.:

I the face of the terrible rain of shot and shell from the enemy I loaded and fired my gun 11 times alone before assistance came. A Private soldier in my battery... J.A. Thorp.. was the wheel driver of the caisson and his postion at the time was comparatively out of danger, saw my siutuation as I was manning the gun alone .. and he boldly came up where the misslesof death were flying thick and fast and said to me, 'Let me help you , the Lt. says I can.' I was never so glad to see a man as I was too see him. He took the spomge and went to work like a old warrior." Cpl Samuel J. Churchill 2nd Illinois Lt Artillery, Wolfe's Brigade

"When I took that sponge staff there wasnt a man on earth that felt any better than I did, .. I pulled my jacket off and rolled up my sleeves as I was going to chop wood. I really thought for a while that we were goiing to get the worst of it. James A Thorp 2nd Illinois Lt Artillery, Wolfe's Brigade

"The rebel batteries were silenced and driven back and the Union forces took an advanced postion" Cpl Samuel J. Churchill 2nd Illinois Lt Artillery, Wolfe's Brigade

For his action at the Battle of Nashville Cpl Samuel J. Churchill was awarded the Congessional Medal of Honor

moh_army_orig.gif

Medal of Honor Army

CHURCHILL, SAMUEL J.
Rank and organization
: Corporal, Company G, 2d Illinois Light Artillery.
Place and date: At Nashville, Tenn., 15 December 1864.
Entered service at: DeKalb County, Ill.
Birth: Rutland County, Vt.
Date of issue: 20 January 1897.
Citation: When the fire of the enemy's batteries compelled the men of his detachment for a short time to seek shelter, he stood manfully at his post and for some minutes worked his gun alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We found the brigade near the Hillsboro pike in line of battle fronting west. Very soon a large regiment of Cavalry galloped up in our front to the foot of the hill, probably a 100yrds distant, and halted. Col Coleman, called to them to show their colors, for as the morning was gloomy he could not determine whether they were federal or confederate, but they made no respose. Then Col. Colman gave the cammand to fire . The returned fire, but soon retreated at full speed. Their loss was pretty heavy, espeically in horses killed" 1st Lt J.T. Tunnell - Company commander 14th Texas, Ectors Brigade

" By 11am four 6 gun batteries had aligned themself along.. the ridge in our front covering a length of about one half mile.. Between us and those 24 guns, in fields and logs of trees cut down, were our cavalry skimishers, dismounted and Ector's skeleton brigade of infantry... Smith's... Infantry were crowding our men back." Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

"Our brigade was ordered into a redoubt near the pike. About this time we heard a heavy battle in fromnt and to our right. Very soon we could see the Confederates lines moving to the rear and to our right, but but fighting desperately as they retreated. They and the federals, that were pressing them passed our front and left us in the rear. A promt retreat was ordered and we moved at the double quick" 1st Lt J.T. Tunnell - Company commander 14th Texas, Ectors Brigade

Ectors men passed us in retreat, going on both sides of the battery, leaving the bushy hollowe in our front and to our right full of federal Sharpshooters. Capt Lumsdon called to the officer to rally his men and help us hold our postion... 'It cant be done, Sir, there is a whole army in your front,' was the reply, and away they went .. three... batteries took postion on a ridge about 600 yards from us and opened foire on our battery, 'Cannoneers to your to your post! Load shell 600 yards! Battery, ready! Fire! were Capt Lumsden's orders, and at it we went with four smoothbore guns...
Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

"I had slept late and was on my knees grating some corn to get meal for my brackfast when all at once the order came to get into line at once." Chaplain J. H. McNeilly, Quarles Brigade

"Dirt, chunks and stones were knocked in showers about us by the guns of the the enemy... About 12 o'clock Capt Lumsdon sent orderly sgt J. Mack Shivers on horseback to report to Gen. Stewart.. that it was evident the enemy wouls soon rush us with a charge. That we could leave the guns and get away with all the men." Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

As soon as I could gather up mt banket, haversack, and frying pan I followed as fast as i could the part going along the Hillsboro pike.... By the time i got started the artillery fire was becoming quite heavy, so I ran along the side of the road. until i reached the men behind a stoine wall.. the assistant surgeons had their place about 200 yards in the rear of our line in a slkight depression where there was little a littke wet weather spring. Pretty soon three batteries of artillery were turned loose. The line crossed their fire crossed just at the little spring where I lay with the doctors. For a few minutes it was the hottest place around Nashville. We all developed a marvelous fondness for mother earth and hugged her closely. I stucjk to the ground as closely as a postage stamp to a letter" Chaplain J. H. McNeilly, Quarles Brigade

"Shivers returned with orders, 'Tell Captain Lunsden it is necessary to hold the enemy in check to the last minute regardless of Losses.' Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

Federal presure builds on the isolated Confederate postion

"We advanced a 100 yards and opened fire on them again and here the # 2 gun of the battery - served mostly of 47th Illinois men - had a premature discharge that took the # 1 arms off about the elbows.. After a few shots here we limbered to the front and with the horses at gallop turned a little to the right around the head of steep ditch and came into action again on the left flank of this fort (redoubt # 4) and not motre than 150 yards from it" Lewis F Phillips 2nd Iowa, Light Battery

"Six of our Infantry support were killed by one shell and a Infantry Lt and two of his men were killed while helping to handle the first section. They had forced to seep protection in our works, as their trench had become untenable during the terrific artillery duel."

"Around 1 o'clock .. suddenly and square off to our left about 5 hundred yards near some hey stacks.. another federal four gun battery openred up on us, completely enfilading ,, our four guns.. Capt lumsden ran his two guns at right of of batter back out of their embrasures on top of the hill far enough to fire to the left behind our left sections... My gun being our left peice was ordered to open upon on the enemy.. and the next gun to me was with with drawn sufficiently from the embrasure to give it range across the rear of my peice and with solod shot we began to pound them. Within 10 minurttes the enfilading battery ceased firing and moved away" My # 3 Horton was shot down... with a bullet to the groin, and was rushed to the rear... I having taken off his thumpstall and put another man in his place... Hilen L Rosser.. a lad of 17, the youngest of three brother that belonged to the battery, had his head shot off by a shell, scattering his brains in the the face of Capt lumsden" Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

Expired Image Removed

Rebout # 4

I have been told by Thomas Cartwright historian at the 'Carter House' & Ross Massey Historian for the 'Battle of Nashville Preservation Society' that the bothers of Hilen Rosser buried him in the earthworks at redoubt # 4. and that it is most likely his remains are still there.

"About 2pm .. The enemy's dismounted Cavalry and 11th Missouri Infantry charged us... The captain shouted, 'Look out men give them canister!' They had worked unobserved around our left under the hill and were making a rush on us...

We gave them a few charges of canister as they crossed the last 100 yards in our front, when they were upon us, entering our redoubt right at my gun where the 50 imen of our infantry support were suppose to be, but were not...

When regiments of yankee infantry and dismounted cavalry armed with spencer repeating rifles charged that little squad there was nothing theyu coiukd do but
fire ad run...

I ran to my right, and as I did the peice next to me whirled to the left and pointed toward the yankees, swarming a few feet away from my gun. "Look out. Jim!" shouted the gunner and I fell on hands and knees directly under the muzzle, the discharge passing over me.. I sprang to the side of the 2nd peice helped to load and fire it twice, and it was again loaded with canister with Lumsden standing close by another charge in his hands crying "Fire!" but the # 4 man with the friction primers had run .. I called out 'Capt hes gone with the primers!' Says Capt Lumsden ' Take care of your selves boys" Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

"We sprang over the rebel works, our shouts of triumph were answered by a shower of led and iron from our right, glancing in that direction we beheld another strongly fortified redoubt (Redoubt # 5) situated 500 yards to the right and as far above us on a pinnacle.. from which belching cannon annd blazing musketry hurled death and defiance upon us." Sgt Lyman B. Pierce 2 nd Iowa Cavalry, Coon's Brigde

"I lit out down the hil. as I got about half way to the creek at the bottom of the hill, I ran over a infantry man's enfield .. with cap shinning on the nipple, I grabbrd it up and fired at a federal waving his hat at the guns I had just left. I did not stop to see if I hit him, but ran for the creek. I dont think I put but one foot in that creek " Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

"To remain in our captured fort was certain death, to retreat promised little better, while to attempt the capture of this second fort (redoubt # 5) seemed madness. But Hatch .. ordered us to follow him and carry this fort as we had the other." Sgt Lyman B. Pierce 2 nd Iowa Cavalry, Coon's Brigde

"I soon struck the pike and caught up with our infantry, forming behind a stone wall. One of them called to me ' Say partner, it was pretty hot over thast hill wasnt it? You fellows certainly held them back longer than we expected' After resting awhile, I went to a red brick house... Mr. Coleman house in front of which Capt. Lumsden was reporting to Gen. stewart.. and complaing about being sacrificed.. I heard Gen. Stewart say, 'Look at the situation captain, you can see it could not have been helped, but you and your men did all that men could do' Gen stewart was comgratulating Captain Lumsden for detaing the advance of the federals so long." Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery - Redoubt #4

"In less than two men we were up in rear of a fort (Redoubt #4) and in battery. The infantry and dismounted cavalry were now ahead of us, had passed over a level [lain of perhaps 100 yards and started up a steep hill on which was another fort (Redoubt #5) and we could fire over them until they reachedthe crest. " Lewis F. Phillips 2nd Iowa, Light Battery

"The boys unused to marching on foot, had now charged for nearly a mile and were so completely exhausted as to be wholly unable to move faster than a slow wal up the hill.

Now some one too much fatigued yto go further would sink down behind a tree and there discharge his 7 loads and reload his carbine, and then slowly drag himself up the fearfull heights.

In this way the boys kept up such a stream of lead whistling over the fort.. to keep the rebels from rising above the works to fire and when they did shoot they had no time to aim... hence their balls usually whistled harmlessly past us.

Gen. Hatch directed one fellow, too much exhausted to go further to take his horse by the tail, and theus aided him up the hill." Sgt Lyman B. Pierce 2 nd Iowa Cavalry, Coon's Brigde

Behind redoubt #4 Two Confederate brigades ( Manigault's and Deas' ) from Johnson's Division are arriving.
Hood had ordered theses troops from his center to help hold back the federal advance.

"We got into some rough hilly country and were formed in line. Field officers were not allowed to go into actual battle mounted, so.. I dismounted. We were moved forward on the double quick for about 1/2 mile and dedebouched from the woods into open country. The whole face of creation seemed to covered with bluecoats. I counted flags to estimate their strength until i was tired.. One little brigade attacking a force many times as large! We butt against the stone wall of licving breathing blue coats and were eaily driven back and followed.

Liet. Col. Butler, of the 28th Alabama was wounded in the attack, which threw the command of the Brigade to me. * I was completely exhausted and when Deas' Brigade came up, the relief was so great that fell as if wounded - numbers of my men rushed to help me.

I could not rise, so sent word to General Deas as to what I knew and begged him not to go on. He did not heed my message, So I got up staggered to him and suggested that he place his brigade on a nearby hill, and that I would place Manigault's Brigade in his rear and rest my men and support him on either flank as the attack developed. 'I told him if hre would just wait there for a short time he would get all thhe fighting he wanted with out going to seek it. He accepted my advice. " Liet. Col, C Irving Walker commanding 10th South Carolina , Manigault's Brigade

* Brig. General Manigault commanded the brigade named after him till he was seriously wounded at Franklin. Liet. Col Butker of the 28th alabama took his place untill being wounded himself Dec, 15th.

Glad you all are enjoying it .. being able to find pictures of the things the men describe & just knowing little things on the battle that you normaly dont hear such as the story of Hilen Rosser being buried in the works at redoubt # 4 btrings the story to life..

regards Steven

"The 19th Alabama regiment.. was sent out to skirmish to keep the enemy in check.. While the shells were decimating our thin skirmish line a peice of shell hit and layed me out senseless."

"Upon regaing conscious two stalwart Yankees were guarding me. Their 2nd line came along at this time. They were half drunk and had their sleeves rolled up to their elbows though snow lay heavily on the ground. Two jumped out of line turning their guns into clubs belabored me unmercifully. I did some of the biggest dodging I ever did do" Beverly B. Corelius 19th Alabama - Deas' Brigade

Henry Campell - " The last 2 weeks has been full of enventful intrest. Hoods army had advanced and surrounded Nasshill where he has been busy for the last three weeks throwing up defences and gradualy approaching the city. On the 15" Thomas, who was quietly making decisive preparations advanced and defeated the rebels completely. On Tuesday night all of the cavalry now just freshly monunted andnumbering about 20,000 were silently crossed over the river and massed on the right of our lines near the Harding Pike. In the morning early some severe faints were made on our left to draw their attention from the real point of attack. About 9 oclock Smiths Corps advanced- charged the rebel line of works and after a hard fight turned their left and drove them back taking 16 guns and 1200 men. The cavalry was now let loose and the rebels driven to their last line of works about 3 miles from the city. Friday our lines advanced and fought hard all day with out gaining much advantage. In the afternoon a charge was made on the key to the rebel position which drove the rebels from their works and gave us posession of the field. They fled in the greatest confusion throwing away their guns and Blankets. 5000 men and over 30 canon fell in our hands. None of the canon belongine to their left wing was saved. ..."

Henry Campbell 2nd Lt. 101st USCI

Henry Campbell inlisted in to the army as a 16yr old who became the buguler for the 18th Indiana Light Artillary. In his diaies of his experiences, he covers from the date of inlistment to his mustering out in Nashville in 1866. Campbell has been quoted many times in many writings about Hoovers Gap, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Atlanta and other areas scattered through the south. I am fortunate to have obtained a copy of this works.

[QUOTE="scone, post: 53063, membRemains of Redoubt # 4
"Lumsden Battery was ordered to occupy Redoubt # 4. The battery conisted of four 12lb smoothbore Napoleon guns that at six or eight hundred yards could be used with fair accuarcy. Arriving at our postion, we found that a slight trench, indicating the postion of the guns and with a shallow ditch on either side fror the infantry that were to support us was all the fortifications that had been made." Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery
[/QUOTE]

I was surprised to see Maxwell say, "six or eight hundred yards could be used with fair accuarcy" with a Napoleon 12 pounder. I have many sources showing Napoleons being devastating (after a few shots of getting sighted) at 1,000 to 1,200 yards.

This is fabulous! I would love to see more postings here of what happened December 15, as the day ended and a heavy rain fell, the CSA ran out of ammo, and Hood's men are ordered to retreat. I think that is in a diary of the 35th Alabama.

[QUOTE="scone, post: 53063, membRemains of Redoubt # 4
"Lumsden Battery was ordered to occupy Redoubt # 4. The battery conisted of four 12lb smoothbore Napoleon guns that at six or eight hundred yards could be used with fair accuarcy. Arriving at our postion, we found that a slight trench, indicating the postion of the guns and with a shallow ditch on either side fror the infantry that were to support us was all the fortifications that had been made." Sgt. James R. Maxwell , Lumsden's Battery

I was surprised to see Maxwell say, "six or eight hundred yards could be used with fair accuarcy" with a Napoleon 12 pounder. I have many sources showing Napoleons being devastating (after a few shots of getting sighted) at 1,000 to 1,200 yards.[/QUOTE]
The mention of the distance was due to the location of the guns in the redoubt. Although they could shoot greater distances, due to the positioning of the guns, they could only engage out to that range.

I was surprised to see Maxwell say, "six or eight hundred yards could be used with fair accuarcy" with a Napoleon 12 pounder. I have many sources showing Napoleons being devastating (after a few shots of getting sighted) at 1,000 to 1,200 yards.
The mention of the distance was due to the location of the guns in the redoubt. Although they could shoot greater distances, due to the positioning of the guns, they could only engage out to that range.[/QUOTE]
Maybe that is what he meant. Thanks.

I am reading a book about Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville at the moment...by Wiley Sword. This was a very good read through.
Good book but still promotes the fact That hood was drugged out at Spring Hill … A Better Book for Spring Hill and Franklin is For Cause and Country: A Study of the Affair at Spring Hill & the Battle of Franklin by Eric A. Jacobson CEO of the Battle of Franklin Trust... All three Battle go hand in hand lest we forget Columbia, TN.. I'm local live east of Nashville 20 miles .. Franklin has reclaimed a lot There is a Battle of Nashville Preservation society get info to tour sites etc

Back