Namozine Church April 1865

noman

First Sergeant
did either of the following Va Units lost flags at Namozine Church April 1865?

26th Battalion -formerly 59th VA Infantry
34th Virginia Infantry
46th Virginia Infnatry
26/34Namozi C
26/34thhurch

The Battle of Namozine Church April 3, 1865 in Amelia County, Virginia

The Battle of Namozine Church April 3, 1865 in Amelia County, Virginia

As Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia retreated from Richmond, rear guard dismounted cavalry units often paused to block the roads from pursuing Union cavalry. At a ford on Namozine Creek, Brig. Gen. George A. Custer threatened the rear of Lee's column. Custer was able to capture many of the Confederates and clear the road in the early morning. Still, the Confederate cavalry had bought enough time for Maj. Gen. Bushrod Johnson's infantry division to pass nearby Namozine Church around 8:00 A.M. Unfortunately, Johnson took a wrong turn at a fork in the road and had to halt when his command reached a bridge over Deep Creek that was underwater from recent flooding.
A brigade of North Carolina cavalry from Maj Gen. Fitzhugh Lee's division tried to secure the Namozine Church road intersection until Johnson could return and take the correct fork. About noon, one of Custer's brigades under Col. William Wells attacked the still deploying Confederate cavalry. Custer's younger brother, Thomas, spurred his horse over a hastily thrown up barricade and captured 3 Confederate officers and 11 enlisted men, as well as the battle flag of the 2nd North Carolina Cavalry.
Another Confederate regiment unsuccessfully counterattacked, losing many prisoners in an ill-fated attempt to drive off the Federals, who flanked them. Brig. Gen. Rufus Barringer was captured nearby, as was Fitz Lee's Adjutant General, Maj. J. D. Ferguson. Johnson approached with his division and finally forced Custer to retire, opening the way for the Confederate infantry to march to Amelia Court House, where they expected to receive much needed supplies and rations.
After the battle, Namozine Church served as a field hospital and later as temporary headquarters for cavalry Maj. Gen. Phillip Sheridan.

http://www.factasy.com/civil_war/20...ne_church_april_3_1865_amelia_county_virginia

I did not find a lot of details in Georgia Newspapers about the battle. of course Georgia was dealing with its own problems at this time.

I urge you to contact Chris Calkins, the superintendent at the sailors creek battlefield. Email me and I will give you his email address

Bryce Suderow
Street stories at Juno.com

Back