Tell me more! Naming Artillery Pieces

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also "Cora" at Gettysburg as Wallyfish once pointed out:

Four 6-pounder smoothbores were cast from bells in Chowan County, NC and were known as the Edenton Bells Battery. Each gun was named; Edenton, St. Paul, Columbia and Fanny Roulhac. The Edenton, which was cast from the bell of the Chowan County Courthouse, is on display at Tour Stop #4, Ruggles' Battery's, at Shiloh NMP. The St. Paul is on display in Edenton, NC.

Fourteen years ago the City of Edenton had an exact replica of the Edenton cast by Steen Cannons and it was exchanged for the real thing for two years. Today, we have the original back and they have their replica. There is a photo of the two originals sitting side by side at his website which has more info https://docsouth.unc.edu/commland/monument/972/

IMG_1645.JPG

So happy to see that you made a thread for this @weasel. I do find it very interesting. We’ve always named cars, so it makes sense to me that one would name a cannon..Someone, somewhere, needs to record all the original cannons and their “voice”. I suppose you might have to have a common load..with specified gunpowder measurements..still, it woud be cool..

Weren't those also the names of the artillery pieces supporting the attack of the boy's military school cadets in John Wayne's "The Horse Soldiers?"
You can see that John Wayne or John Ford or both were possibly a little bit of history buffs. Their movies (westerns) are sprinkled with little bits of historical facts.Not much but some.

You can see that John Wayne or John Ford or both were possibly a little bit of history buffs. Their movies (westerns) are sprinkled with little bits of historical facts.Not much but some.
Ford never let facts get in the way of a good story. :hungry: Ironically, some of his best work may have been what he shot live during the attack on Midway Island.

Ford never let facts get in the way of a good story. :hungry: Ironically, some of his best work may have been what he shot live during the attack on Midway Island.
That's why I used the word "little". I wholeheartedly agree Ford was an entertainer but some facts were sometimes sprinkled lightly into a movie, but just in a wrong scenario, like the cadets or named cannons being in Mississippi.

Some other threads on this topic -

Back