J. Johnston Names of those surrendered with Gen. Joe Johnston in North Carolina

jack1492

Corporal
Hell everyone,
Is there a list anywhere of men who were surrendered and paroled with Gen. Joe Johnston in North Carolina in 1865? I seem to be able to find Western Theater lists well on Ancestry . com but these names who surrendered with Joe Johnston don't seem to show up.

Have you checked with the U.S. National Archives History at https://www.archives.gov online? My ancestor Oliver Perry Williams of North Alabama was paroled with General Joe Johnston's surviving troops in North Carolina. When researching for my book about his experiences (see signature), I found his parole document online in the Archives.

I really just have two or three names I am looking for.
if you will let me know what names they are I will look and see what I can find.

Well, first I would look for Henry Vienne (Joseph Henry Vienne) a corporal of the Pointe Coupee Artillery. He was captured at Nashville on Dec. 16, 1864, paroled for exchange at Camp Douglas, exchanged at City Point, Va. and hooked up with Joe Johnston's AOT where he was surrendered and paroled with them. I was wondering if he joined another artillery unit or if there was more to see about him on those lists. Jean Alexandre Baudier or Alex Baudier was also in the PC Arty but detached as a clerk on Loring's staff. He was also surrendered there. His name was often read as Bandier or Bandeor but its Baudier. I would really like to find Capt. Alcide Bouanchaud the last half of the war. I know he was re-assigned to other duty after the Tenn. Campaign but no one can find him being paroled anywhere. I would bet Loring put him on his staff but he may have been ordered to Mobile. His name gave everyone great difficulty in spelling and was often spelled phonetically by the "Angloes" as I call myself, ha. Often Banshaw, or Bonchard, the list is wide are varied. Pronounce more like Bowanshow.

I too am looking for names people surrendered with Johnston, specifically the 13th TN Infantry. Should be about 50 names.

Back