Collection Named New York at Gettysburg Medal

CyleKostello

Sergeant
Hi all!

Back home for a little while which means i've got access to my collection again. Thought I'd share one of my absolute favorite pieces.

An 1883 New York at Gettysburg Medal named (!!!!) to Private John H. Switzer of the 14th Brooklyn (84th New York), the famous Red Legged Devils. Based on the name I assume Switzer was of German descent like many Brooklyn-ites of the era. Much of my family is from Brooklyn so this is a nice little bit of local history. Next time i'm in NYC I'm going to try and swing by Switzer's grave.

On the 20th anniversary of the famous battle the state of New York authorized medals for the state’s Gettysburg Veterans. While the medals were issued unnamed vets who attended the reunion could get them engraved on the spot.

My example is named to a Private John H. Switzer, a Brooklynite who enlisted in the 14th Brooklyn on 5/23/1861 at age 21. Switzer mustered out on 6/6/1864 with the rest of his regiment after three years of hard fighting. Private Switzer is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn.

The 14th Brooklyn was a distinguished regiment, present at most of the Army of the Potomac’s battles. The 14th got their nickname from none other than Stonewall Jackson, who at 1st Bull Run exhorted his men to stand firm as “Those Red Legged Devils” mounted another charge. The conduct of the 14th Brooklyn was one of the Union’s few bright spots at First Bull Run. The 14th also was part of the Eastern (first) Iron Brigade, lesser known but no less valiant than its Western counterpart. The regiment further distinguished itself at Gettysburg, with half of the personnel becoming casualties. Engaged in heavy fighting at the Railroad Cut, McPherson's Woods and Culp’s Hill, The 14th is the ONLY regiment to have three monuments on the Gettysburg Battlefield. After Gettysburg the 14th would fight in the Overland campaign, attached to 4th Division, V Corps. Being lightly engaged in the Wilderness and more hotly engaged at Spotsylvania, especially at Laurel Hill. mustering out before Cold Harbor. The regiment returned to a hero's welcome in New York. Thanks to the colorful uniforms and the sterling combat record the 14th is among my favorite regiments of the war.

Hope y’all enjoy this medal as much as I do! Any questions please go ahead and ask!

PS, I'm always interested in any items related to the 14th!

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

188953202_3988998094499963_272881585878659086_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all!

Back home for a little while which means i've got access to my collection again. Thought I'd share one of my absolute favorite pieces.

An 1883 New York at Gettysburg Medal named (!!!!) to Private John H. Switzer of the 14th Brooklyn (84th New York), the famous Red Legged Devils. Based on the name I assume Switzer was of German descent like many Brooklyn-ites of the era. Much of my family is from Brooklyn so this is a nice little bit of local history. Next time i'm in NYC I'm going to try and swing by Switzer's grave.

On the 20th anniversary of the famous battle the state of New York authorized medals for the state’s Gettysburg Veterans. While the medals were issued unnamed vets who attended the reunion could get them engraved on the spot.

My example is named to a Private John H. Switzer, a Brooklynite who enlisted in the 14th Brooklyn on 5/23/1861 at age 21. Switzer mustered out on 6/6/1864 with the rest of his regiment after three years of hard fighting. Private Switzer is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn.

The 14th Brooklyn was a distinguished regiment, present at most of the Army of the Potomac’s battles. The 14th got their nickname from none other than Stonewall Jackson, who at 1st Bull Run exhorted his men to stand firm as “Those Red Legged Devils” mounted another charge. The conduct of the 14th Brooklyn was one of the Union’s few bright spots at First Bull Run. The 14th also was part of the Eastern (first) Iron Brigade, lesser known but no less valiant than its Western counterpart. The regiment further distinguished itself at Gettysburg, with half of the personnel becoming casualties. Engaged in heavy fighting at the Railroad Cut, McPherson's Woods and Culp’s Hill, The 14th is the ONLY regiment to have three monuments on the Gettysburg Battlefield. After Gettysburg the 14th would fight in the Overland campaign, attached to 4th Division, V Corps. Being lightly engaged in the Wilderness and more hotly engaged at Spotsylvania, especially at Laurel Hill. mustering out before Cold Harbor. The regiment returned to a hero's welcome in New York. Thanks to the colorful uniforms and the sterling combat record the 14th is among my favorite regiments of the war.

Hope y’all enjoy this medal as much as I do! Any questions please go ahead and ask!

PS, I'm always interested in any items related to the 14th!

View attachment 401355

View attachment 401356

View attachment 401357

View attachment 401358

View attachment 401359

View attachment 401360
Very nice medal

Thanks all! Glad you're enjoying it as much as I am
My GGGrandfather David A Carter of the 108th NY attended that reunion and received one of those medals, which is still in the family. I've seen it a couple times but me being anywhere near it makes the current custodian nervous as heck.

As well it should.
Love that it's stayed in the family. That is sadly so rare these days

This medal says 1893, making it the 30th anniversary of the Gettysburg Battle, and Switzer would have passed away just 3 years later.
What is the medal made of? It is beautiful.
Lubliner.

This medal says 1893, making it the 30th anniversary of the Gettysburg Battle, and Switzer would have passed away just 3 years later.
What is the medal made of? It is beautiful.
Lubliner.
Wow that's embarrassing, I need to stop posting late at night! I believe it's bronze, rather large as well

Back