Name these Tennesseans

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Done watching the Civil War movie Yellowneck and still not ready to watch TV. All the talk of meeting in Gettysburg made me think of all the fun I have had at meetings and conventions. Here is an original artwork (scanned at very low resolution to protect the artist's rights) which was handed out to attendees at a convention in Tennessee. Can anyone name all three Tennesseans depicted? One is very easy, but the other two could take you a while to figure out plus the Civil War soldier's face is mostly covered. I should exclude any Company of Military Historians who attended the convention and was given a copy.
who.jpg

Jackson was not born in Tennessee.he was born in Waxhaw a region between north and south Carolina.he did spend most of his life in the Volunteer state though.

We are on the right track but we need to work on the Civil War era Confederate officer. Hint.. This is an early Civil War depiction the Civil War soldier might have been promoted during the war. Does anyone recognize the artist? He is from the Volunteer State as well (has done some Osprey books).

Last edited:
Got his rank right but wrong man. I think I will give all the Volunteer State people a bit longer to guess. The art work turned up when I was cleaning me library out and I had not seen it in years. I am doing my best to get rid of a few things and although this uniform information this plate provides me is limited, I love the art work and think I will put it in a protective sleeve and keep it. My get rid of pile just does not grow very fast. My wife suggests I watch the TV show Hoarders.

Yes it is Colonel Williams. When they handed me this plate I only recognized the other two men however I was told Williams was considered a hero in Tennessee. In this image he is still a captain. For those who do not recognize the artist, the plate was done by Johnny Shumate of Nashville. I scanned the image at the lowest setting on my scanner and the original plate is so well done it almost looks m like a photograph. Williams' frock coat is at the Tennessee State Museum and in this image he wears equipment made in Tennessee to include the Memphis made Leech and Rigdon belt plate, a Nashville made Morrow and Son holster and a sword made by Nashville's College Hill Arsenal.

ackson was not born in Tennessee.he was born in Waxhaw a region between north and south Carolina.he did spend most of his life in the Volunteer state though.

Jackson's home, Hermitage, is in Tennessee. I really wanted to visit it last summer, but wife suggested another stop.

I have had the opportunity to visit the Hermitage when I got the above plate. They we very kind to us and brought out an American Revolutionary War uniforms so we could study the coat lining. I understood that the coat had not been out of storage for over 30 years.

That is a very nice image, again it looks almost like a photograph. Now I am more convinced to keep the print I posted because only the people who attend the convention were given these prints.

Back