Name Of Confederate Brigadier During 7 Days?

Cycom

First Sergeant
Ok so this is driving me crazy and I just won’t be able to rest until I find this dude’s name.

I’m listening to Foote’s The Civil War and currently learning about the 7 Days Battles. The narrative mentions a rebel general whose name sounds like “You Gee.” I’ve looked on wiki and while there is a breakdown on all the corps commanders and their subordinates, his name just doesn’t show up. Who was he?

Ok so this is driving me crazy and I just won’t be able to rest until I find this dude’s name.

I’m listening to Foote’s The Civil War and currently learning about the 7 Days Battles. The narrative mentions a rebel general whose name sounds like “You Gee.” I’ve looked on wiki and while there is a breakdown on all the corps commanders and their subordinates, his name just doesn’t show up. Who was he?

Yes definitely Benjamin Huger.

This biography of Huger mentions that "he pronounced his name "ooh-ZHAY", although many current Charlestonians say "OOH-gee"

http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/chron/civilwarnotes/huger.html

If you already got through Seven Pines, did it cover the (in)famous seniority debate between Huger and Longstreet at the bridge and the resulting post-battle dispute between them?
My short term memory is awful, but I’m 95% that it wasn’t mentioned.

'Ooo-gey' of 'yu-gee' would clearly be phonic reference to Gen. Benjamin Huger, a Conederate officer who prided himslef on his geneological connection to French immigrants to South Carolina in the colonial period.

Huger did not have a distinguished record as a Confederate military leader.

Last edited:
'Ooo-gey' of 'yu-gee' would clearly be phonic reference to Gen. Benjamin Huger, a Conederate officer who prided himslef on his geneological connection to French immigrants to South Carolina in the colonial period.

Huger did not have a distinguished record as a Confederate military leader.
My French is so thin that I was looking for him under a phonetic spelling of Yuji (as if he was Japanese lol).

1617389460544.gif

If you already got through Seven Pines, did it cover the (in)famous seniority debate between Huger and Longstreet at the bridge and the resulting post-battle dispute between them?
There were several brigadier generals all with the same date of rank (6/17/61).

James Longstreet
Thomas J. Jackson
Richard S. Ewell
William J. Hardee
John C. Pemberton
John B. Magruder
Henry H. Sibley
E. Kirby Smith
Benjamin Huger
David R. Jones
Barnard E. Bee, Jr.

In a new army, that is apt to cause some confusion and dispute.

Ryan

There were several brigadier generals all with the same date of rank (6/17/61).

James Longstreet
Thomas J. Jackson
Richard S. Ewell
William J. Hardee
John C. Pemberton
John B. Magruder
Henry H. Sibley
E. Kirby Smith
Benjamin Huger
David R. Jones
Barnard E. Bee, Jr.

In a new army, that is apt to cause some confusion and dispute.

Ryan
True, but on the march to an attack, debating the point at a crucial crossing that would result in a division not arriving at its destination on schedule was probably not "the time or the place".

You have to remember Shelby had a deep Southern accent that got deeper with a few bourbons:D

True, but on the march to an attack, debating the point at a crucial crossing that would result in a division not arriving at its destination on schedule was probably not "the time or the place".
I don't disagree but without setting up a system of seniority, the CSA was setting itself up for trouble. Especially when it came to semi-egotistical general officers.

Ryan

What a disappointment about the county, I think it would be more fun to keep the "H" (which I do whenever I have to mention it at work.) Gosh, next you'll be telling me that Enroughty is pronounced Darby and that allowed McClellan to escape entrapment on his retreat to Harrison's Landing.

As a young man I moved from Augusta to Columbia SC. I worked in an office that dealt with other offices throughout the state. It took me almost a year to realize that a street that I heard pronounced Yugee and a street that I drove on written Huger were one and the same. Likewise a county that I could see on the state map spelled Horry was the same as a county peopled pronounced Oree. I really thought they were two different places.

Back