Name of Blockade Runner

Biscoitos

First Sergeant
Does anyone know the name of the blockade runner described below?

The vessel was captured by the frigate Powhatan in the Gulf of Mexico, near the mouth of the Mississippi River. The vessel’s captain was named Ryan and the capture was probably in August 1861, Some time (a few weeks maybe ?) before August 27.

Captain Ryan was taken to New York, had been released and was on his way home (apparently New Orleans) on August 27.

Besides the vessel’s name, the date of capture and any other details will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Not related to this mystery but a good site to look up for other blockade runners is https://www.clydeships.co.uk/

It is a record of ships but on the River Clyde in Scotland. Many blockade runners came from these shipyards. The site gives all the usual information, images where possible and always appreciate suggestions for edits/additions
Thanks,
How are things in Bonnie Scotland?
I love Scotland and its people. Although I haven't been back in over 15 years, I have been to Scotland numerous times.
The colonel of my great grand father's regiment has a memorial obelisk in Dean Cemetery, near Edinburgh. I've been to Dean twice just to see and photo it.
Had my deep fried Mars bar on the Royal Mile, rubbed Mons Meig for luck, walked up Arthur's Seat, and even got to see Burke"s skeleton.
Took the Loch Ness cruise, been to wonderful Stirling 3 times. I even spent a day and a night in Creiff.
Bye for noo.

Scotland is good. Been a trying year of course but better times ahead. I really rate Stirling. Just as good a castle as Edinburgh, but right in the country.

Is the obelisk for Robert Smith of the 10th Miss Regiment? If so, that monument as well as one that was placed in Kentucky were donated by James Smith, brother of Robert. We have in my museum the CSA flag owned and flown by James from his house in Glasgow during the war. It was donated to the museum in 1998 by a descendent. It was put on display in 2015 for an exhibit looking at Glasgow's role in the American Civil War. I worked on that display and it is where my work on Joannes Wyllie (see my signature) began.

Scotland is good. Been a trying year of course but better times ahead. I really rate Stirling. Just as good a castle as Edinburgh, but right in the country.

Is the obelisk for Robert Smith of the 10th Miss Regiment? If so, that monument as well as one that was placed in Kentucky were donated by James Smith, brother of Robert. We have in my museum the CSA flag owned and flown by James from his house in Glasgow during the war. It was donated to the museum in 1998 by a descendent. It was put on display in 2015 for an exhibit looking at Glasgow's role in the American Civil War. I worked on that display and it is where my work on Joannes Wyllie (see my signature) began.
Yes, Robert Smith.
We should probably take our conversation to PM.
I stayed at the Old Mill hotel in or near Glasgow some 25 years ago.

Biscoitos,

You can see more about James and his brother Robert in the Battle of Munfordville, Kentucky thread.

I did try to PM you but for some reason I cannot send messages as when I try it the site flags it as possible spam. I have tried to contact Admin but no response yet.

John

Biscoitos,

You can see more about James and his brother Robert in the Battle of Munfordville, Kentucky thread.

I did try to PM you but for some reason I cannot send messages as when I try it the site flags it as possible spam. I have tried to contact Admin but no response yet.

John

You can email me directly at [email protected]

Back