Name 3 Civil War Generals for the CSA and 3 for the Union

Steelman_007?

Private
I'm doing a project about High Schoolers knowledge of American history for my current issues class. I've gone around and asked the students multiple questions ranging from The American Revolution to Regeans presidency. Every question I asked at least 1 person got the answer correct except one

"Name 3 Civil War Generals for the CSA and 3 for the Union"

Out of the 22 People asked, all 22 named Grant and Lee, 12 people named Stonewall 8 people named Sherman and 1 person named Longstreet.

I'm not too surprised about the no one being able to name 3 on each side. I know I'm the only History buff in class; however, I am surprised no one named anyone from the state of South Carolina, I mean after all we live here! I was expecting someone to name Wade Hampton at the very least. :banghead:

It's unimportant of course, but slightly annoying seeing other students not know any Generals from South Carolina. Wade Hampton has a big statue at our state house! Sigh*

Its a good thing I didn't ask if they knew who "the Swamp Fox" was. Might have threw something. :furious:

My sister in law is a retired school teacher in St.John's county which has the highest rated system in the state of Florida and all she can say is the lack of education for the students is in bad shape.she says it is not the teachers fault but they have to fight the system on every thing that they try to do.
It is really sad.

Last edited:
As much fun as it is hacking on the school system of the United States, I would say there are infinitely more important things people need to know rather than the generals on either side of the Civil War. Even as a history teacher I can safely say there are more important things my students should know over Grant, Lee, Sherman, Bragg, Halleck or either Johnston. But what do I know...I just do this for a living.

My sister used to be a teacher up in Maine. she said when it comes to the ACW, the curriculum just glosses over it. According to her, they just cover Fort Sumter, the Emancipation Proclamation, and Reconstruction. :cry:

My sister used to be a teacher up in Maine. she said when it comes to the ACW, the curriculum just glosses over it. According to her, they just cover Fort Sumter, the Emancipation Proclamation, and Reconstruction. :cry:
She didn't have any say over the curriculum? She couldn't add to it? Our textbook breaks the actual war into four lessons over a chapter. Most chapters only have two or three lessons. But I can supplement as much or as little as I want. As long as I cover the minimum, I'm good. Actually I would probably be in trouble if I didn't go beyond.

...it's a shame history these days appears to be neglected in a lot of classrooms across the country.

It's not that history is "neglected" in classrooms. I'm pretty sure that most high school American history curriculum would include at least 3 Civil War generals on each side, but it wouldn't be information that would be emphasized or expected to be remembered.

Back