Cemetery N.J. Civil War cemetery was forgotten until a woman stepped in

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
1560266474638.png

(Barry Carter NJ | Advance Media)
Tombstone of Andrew Jackson, a member of the 22nd United States Colored Troops. (Barry Carter | NJ Advance Media)

N.J. Civil War cemetery was forgotten until a woman stepped in
Updated Jun 5, 2019; Posted Jun 3, 2019

...They were members of the 22nd United States Colored Troops (USCT). “She said, ‘I’m showing this to you because people have forgotten about it and nobody is doing anything, so I thought if I told, you’d do something about it,’" said Money, recalling their conversation.

Money, a Sicklerville resident who no longer drives a bus, did something selfless. She appointed herself caretaker for this small burial ground, which also contains veterans from World War I and World II.

After every winter, Money and her daughter, Faith, cut the grass, pulled weeds and lugged large branches to the side of the road. This year, though, she was getting tired, and needed more help with the upkeep. And, she wanted to honor the soldiers with some kind of sign to tell their story...

Full article with pics can be found here - https://www.nj.com/camden/2019/06/nj-civil-war-cemetery-was-forgotten-until-woman-stepped-in.html

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
That's good to hear - I've seen a similar out-of-the-way cemetery in Lancaster, Penn., but that was in better condition.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!